Douze is popular because it's an open map.
There needs to be more open official maps; maps like ac_arid and ac_rattrap are terrible.
Thanks given by:
You must be new here.
Thanks given by:
(18 Nov 12, 04:18AM)#M|A#Wolf pid ='113802 Wrote:You must be new here.

I've played since November 2010. Perhaps the maps seem cramped because I've always played at 70 fov instead of 90 or 100.
Thanks given by:
I doubt more open maps will make it to the official package. The engine is not designed for it, nor the gameplay really.

70 fov is insane. I use 120, 50 for scopefov.
Thanks given by:
(18 Nov 12, 04:20AM)jockskratos Wrote:

I've played since November 2010. Perhaps the maps seem cramped because I've always played at 70 fov instead of 90 or 100.
Use at least 100 fov for god's sake. Playing with 70 fov is like playing football at midnight with sunglasses.
Thanks given by:
(18 Nov 12, 04:20AM)jockskratos Wrote: I've played since November 2010. Perhaps the maps seem cramped because I've always played at 70 fov instead of 90 or 100.
You're still new bro. :|
Thanks given by:
Ac douse is popular because the map is simple .
The map is adapted all the mode (pf ,ctf ,dm ...)
You can see the two flag .
All the gun are useful .
Someone map are unplayable to shotgun .

So , a map is not popular when is official.
In lss ,the map "lss_brasil by federer" is very popular while the map is not offical .
Thanks given by:
Arid is ok, and all you need in rattrap is a knife but it is very crowded
Thanks given by:
(18 Nov 12, 04:17AM)jockskratos Wrote: ac_rattrap is terrible.

True story. I've been begging for its removal since.... It was included in the package. Rattrap sucks, let's face it.
Thanks given by:
AC_Douze is an awesome map for beginners gain exp in the game.
Thanks given by:
Douze is getting more nerfed than the AR for the next release.
70 fov makes it very easy to aim at least. :) Super zoomed in & slower enemies(seemingly)
*Though I use 120.
Thanks given by:
(18 Nov 12, 05:17AM)#M|A#Wolf Wrote:
(18 Nov 12, 04:20AM)jockskratos Wrote:

Use at least 100 fov for god's sake. Playing with 70 fov is like playing football at midnight with sunglasses.

Movement feels more responsive at 70 fov, though.

(18 Nov 12, 04:14PM)Nightmare Wrote: Douze is getting more nerfed than the AR for the next release.
70 fov makes it very easy to aim at least. :) Super zoomed in & slower enemies(seemingly)
*Though I use 120.

Recoil is also greater though, and if someone's right in your face at 70 fov on a tighter official map, good luck because they could quite easily leave your view.
Thanks given by:
(18 Nov 12, 07:17PM)jockskratos Wrote: if someone's right in your face at 70 fov on a tighter official map, good luck because they could quite easily leave your view.
Precisely my point. If you have any intentions on playing at an average level you need to bring up your fov, maybe you're right that movement feels more responsive, I haven't played with low fovs enough time to know that, but what's the point of that if you have less view + because of that lack of view you lack the ability to move around cunningly in a encounter against someone. Just imagine the advantages of someone with fov 120 against you, they can see you while you don't.
Thanks given by:
I tried it before and my carbine accuracy was over 60%, but too weird and uncomfortable for normal use for me.

Thanks given by:
I wish those rats maps were official I usedto love playing those in Halflife, anyway back on topic please dont remove any official maps lord knows we dont have enough as it is, but please lest have some variety, rats, towers, huge arena's they are not all to everyones taste but isnt that why we have a maprot?

Ohh and btw 70 fov is insane, 120 is great for movement but a good middle ground is 104 it takes some getting used to when you change but it adds massively to your ability. I bet all those players who seem impossible to hit are fov 120 or close!
Thanks given by:
You have both advantages and disadvantages with a higher FOV. The biggest advantage is being able to see more, and the major disadvantage is having a harder time aiming. I have been using 120 since the very beginning, but I am tinkering around with 110 and 105 as well.
Thanks given by:
it's largely relevant to the resolution you play at, imo. fov 111 on 1024x768 is in my opinion the best balance between being able to see your playermodels and your surroundings clearly. at this resolution and fov 120 I can barely see enemies at all.

But on my new PC I run AC at 1920x1080, and anything other than fov 120 feels weird and too slow, even with a much higher framerate. weird eh
Thanks given by:
yeah douze is a great map but not for team mode. Btw there is no good AC maps for team mode. Team mode should be 4v4. All AC's maps are too small. Maybe arabian would be ok but srsly... all other maps can be crossed in less than 20 seconds by an AR ...
Thanks given by:
Riverside original would be a great official map.
Thanks given by:
(18 Nov 12, 07:17PM)jockskratos Wrote: Movement feels more responsive at 70 fov, though.

wgat
Thanks given by:
(19 Nov 12, 03:13AM)MorganKell Wrote: Riverside original would be a great official map.

first map i ever played on ac :')
Thanks given by:
(18 Nov 12, 04:17AM)jockskratos Wrote: ac_rattrap is terrible.

Every map has its pros and cons. As a 3v3 (max), it makes a really nice map. This is part of the reason I included it. Actually, you guys should probably know, that if the map was "fixed up" by its creator sooner, it would've been included in the 0.92 package!!!

(19 Nov 12, 03:13AM)MorganKell Wrote: Riverside original would be a great official map.

It would be, but... it's laggy up the sides and shadow doesn't want any of his maps included in AC anymore. The lag has been attempted to be fixed btw, I think we might have found an 'ok' solution at one point, but never anything great.

(18 Nov 12, 04:17AM)jockskratos Wrote: There needs to be more open official maps

I'll try my best to work on doing this, but it's hard to do. Like most noobs, you don't seem to understand the engine's problem with wide open spaces.
Thanks given by:
Why doesn't he want any of his maps in AC?
Thanks given by:
Ask him :P

If he's happy to include the map, we'll work on it.
Thanks given by:
RandumKiwi Wrote:...(*bashing*)... the engine's problem with wide open spaces.

Can you please explain why can't the cube engine handle open spaces? After all it's based on a geo-mip-mapping rendering technique for landscapes (heighfields, hence the inhability to have stacked sectors/rooms) and it even (supposedly) has a LOD system and a "very high precision dynamic occlusion culling" which is (unless you are so kind to correct me) a mere raytracing for every cube (which is slow despite the fact it does makes use of a quad-tree). Can you tell us (to whomever is interested) more about the exact limitations of the engine? Lastly, What map(s) gets most out of the ac engine in terms of performace, I mean what official map is the example to follow (to mappers) of how to avoid the engine limitations you speak of?

Sorry to bug you with all this questions, it's just that the code is not readable at all, was it obfuscated purposely? ;)
Thanks given by:
(19 Nov 12, 07:05AM)TheNihilanth Wrote: I mean what official map is the example to follow (to mappers) of how to avoid the engine limitations you speak of?
If a map would surpass the engine's limitations it wouldn't be official.
Thanks given by:
Edit: Mods, feel free to split this post as I just realized I've hijacked OP's thread, sorry, also delete this post please :$
Thanks given by:
(19 Nov 12, 07:05AM)TheNihilanth Wrote: Sorry to bug you with all this questions, it's just that the code is not readable at all, was it obfuscated purposely? ;)
xD. Cube2 is Worse.
Thanks given by: