New Playermodel(new model of it)
Hi guys.This time im working on playermodel.I need some help too.if there is anything you would like too add or change just cooment.Also tell if u like it.Still are missing the boots,head and some little details.Pics are here:

[Image: 5NQ8r.png]
[Image: enpcp.png]
[Image: LwCHm.png]
[Image: sBaY5.png]
Thanks given by:
I would love to have a look at it, but I can't see any screenshots. Can you upload them elsewhere? Eg. Imgur.com.
Thanks given by:
Pics or it didn't happen!
Thanks given by:
Looks like you have too many redundant polygons. The chest can be just as detailed if you use a good texture. Same goes for the arms and legs.

In games like AC, the model detailing should happen in the texture, not the model.
Thanks given by:
Pictures reposted!:D

PS:Now i got my boots done,only need back,shoulders and the head
Thanks given by:
RR is right. You have way too many loops in there.

You should aim to use as few vertices/faces as possible.

Arms/legs:
You could actualy just make 4 tubes for the arms legs with loops around the elbows for the animations.
Here is a nice gif showing how you could connect the legs to the body.
Arm to shoulder

Head:
You didn't model the head jet. This is good. You dont need much detail at all on the head. The normal AC heads are very very lowpoly as in nearly cubes with a cube for the gasmask.
You could use this as a guide for the edgaflow on the head. The first one, at most the second one, but no more is needed/ advised.

Body:
You could make the torso a cube. But if you want a bit more detail add a few loops, not a whole grid.

PS. none of these images are made by me or even fully read by me. If you find anything wrong/obscene in there I apologise.
Thanks given by:
Really thanks man! :)
That helped a lot.I didn't exepect that much stuff actually.

But I had a question too,I was planning to do a guy who has helmet.Do I have to do helmet myself or I can use the pickup model?

2 links are not working too:(

Arms to shoulders and legs to body
Thanks given by:
Arms to body.

Legs to body.

About the helmet:
There is a txt in the "Pickup" folder. It's called license.txt

Here is the part you are interested in

You are free:

* to copy, distribute, display, and perform the work
    * to make derivative works

Under the following conditions:

"by"     
     -Attribution. You must give the original author credit.
"nc"    
     -Non-Commercial. You may not use this work for commercial purposes.
"sa"     
     -Share Alike. If you alter, transform, or build upon this work, you may distribute the resulting          work only under a licence identical to this one.

* For any reuse or distribution, you must make clear to others the licence terms of this work.
    * Any of these conditions can be waived if you get permission from the copyright holder.

Your fair use and other rights are in no way affected by the above.

Tl;dr You may use it, but you have to credit makkE for it and use the same license.

___

You should first try to make the model itself. You can always add the helmet later on, if you decide to c&p it on your model.
Thanks given by:
On this image (c+p the address to see it if it doesn't work the first time) that ASOM linked you to: http://images.4chan.org/3/src/1324402885182.jpg

I'd say the first head is what you should aim for in terms of poly usage. Maybe the second (you don't need the eyes detailed like the second head.

Correct me if I'm wrong ASOM, I'm just going by what I've seen about poly usage before on these forums.
Thanks given by:
(07 Nov 12, 07:10PM)xdEpicZombie Wrote: I was planning to do a guy who has helmet.Do I have to do helmet myself or I can use the pickup model?

You cannot do one model like with a helmet and others without it as there is only one single playermodel in use, the differences in looks are all made with the skin.jpg file
Thanks given by:
(07 Nov 12, 09:28PM)DES|Cleaner Wrote:
(07 Nov 12, 07:10PM)xdEpicZombie Wrote: I was planning to do a guy who has helmet.Do I have to do helmet myself or I can use the pickup model?

You cannot do one model like with a helmet and others without it as there is only one single playermodel in use, the differences in looks are all made with the skin.jpg file

Actually its not impossible, it isn't even that hard.

One could add the Helmet to the AR. This way every AR-player gets a helmet, because you'd have to animate it on the body with the weapon.

J0linar had this idea once, but never finished it for timereasons.

(07 Nov 12, 08:49PM)Ronald_Reagan Wrote: On this image (c+p the address to see it if it doesn't work the first time) that ASOM linked you to: http://images.4chan.org/3/src/1324402885182.jpg

I'd say the first head is what you should aim for in terms of poly usage. Maybe the second (you don't need the eyes detailed like the second head.

Correct me if I'm wrong ASOM, I'm just going by what I've seen about poly usage before on these forums.

You are right, there is no need for any more polys than the 1. image. Maybe one or two loops more to get a shape for a nose or something, but you could get the effect solely with textures too.
Thanks given by:
I took some time and did another model.Again I did not do the head becouse i dont know how and did everything else:
Pics are here:

[Image: 8VHsf.jpg]
[Image: coyg4.jpg]
[Image: HNM53.jpg]
[Image: jAypW.jpg]

Hope u like it and plz someone help me with the head.Idont know how to start doing it!!?!?!?
Thanks given by:
You will hate to hear this again, but you use too many polys.

First the boots. They are hardly seen and even when they are seen they don't really matter. Boots could be cubes and not too many people would notice.

Maybe this will help you with the boots.

Edit: Ignore the last frame, I got carried away. Seriously use as few polys as possible.
Also don't forget to delete the faces you put inside the character eg. the top of the boot.
Thanks given by:
And you will hate to see that :))
I use to damn much polys! :) Is it going to lag or why is this so important??
I guess we have all that kind of computers now that we can manage with 2000 polys?!

[Image: ljGuw.png]
Thanks given by:
Ac is aimed to run even on microwave oven, thats why is polycount important. If you work in Blender, i suggest you to make high poly model, then apply Decimator modifier.
Thanks given by:
Any suggestions how to get same result with milkshape?
Thanks given by:
Post a flat surface screenshot again, the head looks promising!

About the arms, legs and boots I tried to draw where you can cut some loops.
Also, you use circles with 12VEs at the arms. That is too much, try to get them down to.. 5, 8 at most.

[Image: I0TzO.jpg]
Red = needed for form and animation
Green = Optional, you can bring some details
Blue = totally uneccesary. These loops add no detail

The reason to keep things lowpoly, is as you saw yourself
1. To keep the game from lagging
2. to not use as much ram
3. to make clean models

I could have this wrong myself, but as a rule of thumb less=better
Thanks given by:
I was thinking abot that i first finish this one(animations and stuff),then try it and then make new one.cuz im not so pro as u and i dont know alot.making it more low poly is hard to me u know :)

pics u wanted:

[Image: ihWEH.png]
[Image: Curr7.png]

How do i "cut loops"????
Thanks given by:
(08 Nov 12, 05:34PM)xdEpicZombie Wrote: I was thinking abot that i first finish this one(animations and stuff),then try it and then make new one. making it more low poly is hard to me u know :)
Please don't do this. I made this mistake and I regret it deeply. When I started makkE gave me advice on stuff that was far beyond my understanding and I shrugged it of as "something I dont need to know jet". Animating is very hard. You will have to wait (assigning parts of the model to bones) the mesh (model) and this gets way easier with good loops. When you have fewer polys and a good topologie (the way the loops are going around the model) your animation will get clean, pretty and most of all easier.

(08 Nov 12, 05:34PM)xdEpicZombie Wrote: How do i "cut loops"????
I don't know how your program handles loopcuts, sorry :(

Btw. what program do you use?

The head is lowpoly enough, you can improve the shape a bit, but you wont need more polys.

It helps me to think of the head as a triangle. Something like this will help you get a headish form.

[Image: 9ZzhH.gif]

Mod Edit: weight -> wait
Thanks given by:
I use milkshape 1.8.4, have full license and all.there are alot of tools and options but i still dont know everyones feature.Does the loop cut mean basicaly u make 2 triangles to one?

and what u think abot the head??
Thanks given by:
Ok, I searched google for some shortcuts that would help you, but milkshape uses triangles instead of quads, therefor there is no loopcut option in milkshape. I'm sorry I brought this term in the conversation.
Thanks given by:
NP for the term bro,but what should i do then,

By the way i just tried to texture or what ever,i got this:

[Image: BDHue.png]

why are the sides of the body just colored??????
Thanks given by:
I would say you didn't unwrap the model properly.
I have found this tutorial for unwraping with milkshape, but there is a problem. He just projects the shoe from the side and therefor there is some stretching along the side. Maybe you did the same.

I am not sure if I understand the UV-unwraping of milkshape.

I hope someone with experience in milkshape can help you out here.

It would be so much easier for me to help you if you'd use Blender, but everyone here says it's very confusing if you come from milkshape. Maybe one day when you have finished this model and got some freetime you might try to use Blender? :D
Thanks given by:
kk ill think about it thx for ur help and links
Thanks given by:
(08 Nov 12, 06:07PM)xdEpicZombie Wrote: why are the sides of the body just colored??????

It's coz your faces are facing the wrong way, with milkshape you have to create your face by selecting your vertex CLOCKWISE

EDIT: you can fix that by selecting the desired verticles and do a "reverse vertex order" in the "face" menu

Re-edit: on second look at your screenie it more like what a_slow_old_man suggested, overstretched texture...
Thanks given by:
I'm no expert at 3D modelling but I suggest you use some sort of image reference or do some rough sketches of the 3d model you are trying to do, this will help you to get the feeling of the model you want to achieve. Also take in mind performance issues, put a polygon budget, say 600 tris and stick to it, make every tri of this polygon budget to count where it is needed ( a tri that DOESN'T contribute to the silluete of the mesh is USELESS ergo check your model from evey posible angle).

Here, this article is very old but I think it can help you. It doesn't teach you to use any 3d program in particular, but gives advice/tips which are very valuable in my humble opinion.
Everyone can move vertices to create a 3d model but not everyone do it gracefully and that is what this article teaches, hope it can help you in one way or another (put special attention to Figure 14 :) ).

I look forward to see your finished model !

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/107344791/DST.pdf
Thanks given by: