If People Live Far, Their Pings Affects A Server?
Hi all, i need info about the pings, becuase i host servers for my clan, sometimes when people connect here, have ping very high, like countries of Brazil, Portugal and more conutries,
¿Why People Have High Ping like more than 300 if they live nearby to my country?

I live in Costa Rica, sometimes the country affects the ping, becuase of Costa Rica to another country the ping gets higher, so i think that is the distance of the countries, i dont like kick people for higher pings.
I want only more info, thanks for reading this post!
Thanks given by:
Ping is the amount of time it takes for a packet to transmit through its routes. Regardless of your country being near or far, the route packets take to get there could be longer than the ocean between you.

AssaultCube can handle very high pings quite easily.
Thanks given by:
People might have a high ping if they have a bad connection, if their connection is busy doing something else (like downloading something), or if they go through a lot of hardware or a proxy to get to you. There are any number of things that can affect ping. It's quite possible that high pings are because of your connection, too.
Thanks given by:
As a server owner too I have also struggled to understand the pings people have, I have found that stability is the key. I am quite happy playing with people with 400+ ping if its stable, I think it is actually a disadvantage to them. I do however give a word of caution, there is a hack out there for speed which also gives the player high ping while speeding, not wharping due to ping spikes but consistent high ping. That is a speedhack and unfortuneately is quite common. I also would like to point to the importance of PJ or packet jump my understanding is this is the time between updates hence if this figure is high a player will be choppy or worse appear to warp. I have done some testing on my servers and found that high PJ can be atificially induced and players can use it to their advantage either to warp or lag out completely when being attacked. I have seen some players who disappear as you shoot them only to reappear and play normally once they have killed you from behind! These kind of cheats (if thats what they are) are difficult to spot/deal with personally if a player has a high ping that is stable no issue, if a player has high PJ say 60+ I would warn them (normally its something they are doing like a download or something) anyone who's PJ or ping is jumping up and down I would warn then kick, especially if you can see them speeding or disapearing while under attack.
Thanks given by:
On my server, pings in the 400s do not affect game play with a PJ around 60 or under. AC is just fantastic at dealing these scenarios. I have a 100mbit (well 80-100 lol) connection, and have no issue dealing with international players, even with all 20 slots filled.

DES|Anderson, Your overview of watching that sort of thing is spot on. There are people with consistently good, consistently bad, and somewhere in between connections. The latter of the three is the one that needs to be watched out for! It's either packet loss issues with a so-so wifi connection, slow connection in general, high traffic volume in geographic region, or hax lol.
Thanks given by: