AC Interview: HurpDurpson
1) So you're from Scotland, can you tell us what makes it a nice country to live in?

Well, I guess I'd have to say... the scenery? Lots of trees and hills and stuff round here, very close to nature. Not too polluted or over-industrialized, so it can be rather pretty. Apart from that I wouldn't think it be too special.

2) Who would you say are the Top Five best active mappers in the game, as of right now?

Didn't have much choice on this one seeing as how theres not much happening on the mapping scene. I'd have to say Halo, ExodusS, YesWeCamp, Snoosnoo and Stupp.

3) What are your three favorite drinks?

KoolAid. Irn Bru, ofcourse, and probably Dr.Pepper.

4) Why do you believe mapping has been so slow lately? Far less maps than before are being made, and the recent contest had only a handful of entries.

It's been "slow" for as long as I've known the game, I'm guessing there was much more activity "back then" and that the game is just attracting less people. New games with flashy graphics and a thousand new functions to make the game more complex are being released each year, and nobody has the time to sit down and appreciate what a simple and fun game like ac can deliver.

That or people just can't be assed learning to map.

5) Can you name a few favorite bands/music artists?

Ohohoho. A couple of bands I listen to often include:
Gorillaz
This Or The Apocalypse
The Devil Wears Prada
Rise Against
As Blood Runs Black
The Black Dahlia Murder
& Trigger The Bloodshed

6) Which other games do you play currently?

Quake live is my second to AssaultCube, but I occasionally play TF2, Blacklight Retribution, and things like sauer or Minecraft when I get bored.

7) Which map do you prefer for balanced games of CTF, ac_unfrozen or ac_lainio?

Can't really compare the two, seeing as how I've only played ac_lainio. Id say ac_unfrozen does seem like a balanced map whereas ac_lainio has a bias for RVSF, that being said, the layout of ac_unfrozen does seem as fun or is a bit more predictable than that of ac_lainio. With the new mastermode I've heard of, with 7.5 minutes each side I'd say ac_lainio's balance wouldn't be a problem and is therefor my favorite here ;)

8) Sticking with Mapping Contest maps, do you feel Snoosnoo's ac_discovery deserved the overall win in the most recent contest? And do you believe it should be official?

I feel that Snoosnoo had worked hard on that map, and it took a lot of time and effort to create it, so seeing as how the competition was either rushed maps to create some competition or to get it to the deadline, yeah. I think Snoosnoo deserved to win. No, it shouldn't be official, it isn't finished yet.

9) What is your favorite weapon in AC and why?

Probably the assault rifle, it can do long distances, short distances, and let you glide across maps. The only real disadvantage of it is the kick, but with a little practice it should be easy to handle.

10) What is your favorite official map, and favorite custom map in AC and why?

For the official map, Id say ac_elevation. I love the gameplay of elevation and there's lots of different ways to play it, be them good or bad. It's also not a munch on the fps and not sore on the eyes either. Favorite custom map? That's a hard one. I'm gonna have to say either ac_factory by boefmironton or ac_silence, by A&D_Shadow iirc. ac_factory because it has a lot of unique features and looks like no other map, while still having some fun gameplay, and ac_silence because it looks great and it's the only map I know of where you can have a good game of Hide n Seek. Lulz.

11) What is your favorite mode in AC and why?

Ctf. I like ac's style of ctf, with the ar sprint involved it gives it a somewhat different twist to what I've seen in most games.

12) Do you play any instruments? If so, which ones and how long have you played them?

I played the piano for a while when I was young, only a few years. I gave that up and I tried playing the bass, I learnt a little and I still play it occasionally, but I wouldn't say I'm that musical a person.

13) Which addition of the upcoming release are you most excited for and why?

tlss and tpf ofcourse, that'll make cms more fun than ever. Apart from that, I'm quite happy there will be a pm function and new content being added to the official package, giving a better variation on mapmodels/textures etc.

14) Which mappers, new or old, have inspired your mapping the most?

Floppy, Jiba, ExodusS* and Halo.

15) Which three clans do you like the best, not counting a clan you've been in before, and why?

Weird question. rC. has some sound guys in it, {BoB} contribute to the community a lot, so I appreciate that, and poor -dyh|. Sorry |YOLO| </3

16) Can you name a few of your favorite foods?

Tough question, I should go raid my fridge. I used to go to America when on holiday when I was quite young, so things like Froot Loops bring back good memories. Weird eh? Same for stuffing, I always had that at christmas, and I love christmas :)

17) Which members of the AC Forum would you like to see take the Cinnamon Challenge, and put the video on Youtube?

Snoosnoo.

18) Can you name a few of your favorite books?

Little Brother by Corey Doctrow was quite a good read, though I can't seem to recall many other books I found that interesting recently.

19) What are the specs on your primary computer?

Dayum man, I'm not good with this stuff.
CPU: Intel Core i5 2450M 2.56Hz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M 2GB
RAM: 6Gb
HDD: 640Gb

20) Do you own a firearm in real life? Or do you plan to own one in the future? Why/why not?

Too young to own one currently, but I don't plan on getting one anyway. I honestly have no need to own one, I not going to starting hunting or clay pigeon shooting any time soon.
Thanks given by:
(11 Oct 12, 01:25AM)Nightmare Wrote: KoolAid.

OHHH YEEAAHHHHHHH
Thanks given by:
(11 Oct 12, 01:25AM)Nightmare Wrote: and poor -dyh|

dont rub it in c:

good interview, now we have to see if professor xenon will top this
Thanks given by:
Halo mentioned favorably twice... Puked a little in my mouth twice... coincidence?
Nice interview. Would love to visit Scotland. Send tickets Hurp!!
Thanks given by:
Nice interview was very interesting
Thanks given by:
I agree with your choice of ac_elevation shimmy. I can run lines on that thing all day long! Shadow's maps in general are excellent. I've liked elevation and riverside since .93. Good show man!
Thanks given by:
Quote:17) Which members of the AC Forum would you like to see take the Cinnamon Challenge, and put the video on Youtube?

Snoosnoo.
yes, do!

Nice interview. I enjoyed the read.
Thanks given by:
This Or The Apocalypse
The Devil Wears Prada
Rise Against
As Blood Runs Black
The Black Dahlia Murder

OH YOU SEXY BOY
Thanks given by:
Drinking a dr. pepper while playing ac_elevation listening to The Black Dahlia Murder. Make my fucking day :D
Thanks given by:
Niceeee!

And yeaah thanks HurpDuuuurp! ( as i hope u meant me from rC :P)
Thanks given by:
who the f is hurpdurpson. does he even play ac

MOD EDIT: calm down, kid.
Thanks given by:
(12 Oct 12, 12:33PM)kingCHUBBY Wrote: who the f is hurpdurpson. does he even play ac

MOD EDIT: calm down, kid.

Hi.
Thanks given by:
(12 Oct 12, 12:33PM)kingCHUBBY Wrote: who the f is hurpdurpson. does he even play ac
Who are you?
Thanks given by:
Right on, nice interview fellas. I learned a little something
:).
Thanks given by:
dyH isnt poor we are rich

you like that screaming music shit lol
Thanks given by:
you don't know who kingCHUBBY is? May I suggest the nearest hole for you to crawl and die in?
Thanks given by:
good mappers are overrated while they copy each other and alter existing maps.
Thanks given by:
Good post lad. See morgankell's previous post aboutcrawling in holes.
Thanks given by:
x7ee1 for dev!
Thanks given by: