ac_rerailed
hey er'body. i was looking through the maps i have made over the last couple years of my time here at AC and came across ac_derailed. some of you might remember me posting ac_derailed a little while ago.

i thought to myself: damn what a shame a great map idea has to be lost to sloppy mapping.

so i made it better. i made ac_rerailed the pics below might look similar to the one on ac_derailed but playing the map, you will notice it is much "cleaner" and more detailed than ac_derailed (if you have ever seen it. the download is still on this forum if you want to compare the two).

on top of making it nice looking i also expanded it in size, adding two new rooms because playing on it in pubs, i realized it was much too small even for TOSOK let alone CTF.

now good for CTF, TOSOK, and DM modes

i hope you enjoy it and i welcome feedback as always. positive and negative :D

download link: http://www.mediafire.com/?x8pa1t869gt3gvg

[Image: 20121008211029acreraile.jpg]

[Image: 20121008211007acreraile.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Everything looks good from screenshots. In the second screenshot Maybe change that one texture on the left side of the stairs like the rust texture. It does not look very appealing. Other than that it sort of looks like an ac_snow and ac_elevation mix. Nice job
Thanks given by:
me gusta

Edit because DogDancing thought I liking it was spam: I do agree with whop with what he said, and I do like the remix kind of thing you have. Try doing it with aqueous and douze. :P
Thanks given by:
Quite nice. Though if you're wanting to make a ctf map, theres a few things you could improve on. I suggest putting the flags in even positions, whereas now you have jump to get to CLA's flag and only walk in to get RVSF's. Another thing is that both bases should have at least 2 exits, I feel. Having this gives the flag carrier more choice, e.g. having a long or short way, or just trying to confuse your enemy.

Apart from that, I think it's quite a nice looking little map, which would probably be good for FFAs or 1v1s :) gj.
Thanks given by:
I don't get why people comment on maps while just looking at the screenshots..no point in that bballn. Also Link don't just spam that you like the map without saying why.

As I looked at the screenshots I was expecting a pretty good map, I was mislead. First of, the Layout of the map is terrible same goes with the flag placements..won't be very fun. Zero is right about the bases/flags. You have wide open places, and narrow as shit corridors no actual in between. I like some of the ideas(texture/cube manipulation) but its lacking cohesive ideas.
Thanks given by:
(10 Oct 12, 09:59PM)DogDancing Wrote:

It's kind of hard to see constructive criticism. As a professonal mapper I regard you by, do you think there is anything else that Mercy could work on?
Thanks given by:
thank you all for the comments. you are right DogDancing that people should look at more than just the screenshots but you are also right Link that perhaps suggestions on how to make the map better would be helpful

@DogDancing: I do appreciate that you were straight up and honest on how the map looked. i always like to see feedback from established mappers like you and Z3R0. but perhaps instead of just calling it complete shit, maybe you could elaborate on the "cohesive ideas" you said i lacked?
Thanks given by:
(10 Oct 12, 11:49PM)MerCyKiL Wrote: perhaps instead of just calling it complete shit, maybe you could elaborate on the "cohesive ideas" you said i lacked?

zing

textures look really nice, but the layout is a bit clunky in my opinion for CTF.

it would be nice to do ffa on this
Thanks given by:
ive always had trouble with making maps suitable for CTF in regards to spawns, routes etc. so yea something to work on

thanks for teh feedback :D
Thanks given by:
Tips for this map:

The in game minimap (default to LALT) appears off-centered because of the railing going into the right of the map. You can go into edit mode and make some random square far to the left of the map non-solid and use /settex 0 0 so it doesn't appear on the minimap, but still centering it after a reload of the map (possibly /clearminimap though this won't get changes made to the outsides of the map like in this case)

The "station" has a roof that is two cubes tall, but the "broken ceiling" parts show that it is one cube tall. Make these areas deeper and you then have a chance to add some rubble effects by adding more cubes in between heights with a different texture (I don't think the tile texture works well on the outer parts of the station)

Tips for the future:

Some maps manage to pull it off (ac_avenue) but I personally avoid 1x1 sloped stairs as they look weird in AC to me (even if they actually are close to this in real life) I use 1x2 stairs when I can.

Remember maps are meant to be played with several people, so make sure there are few, if any areas that will not comfortably allow for two players to pass each other (halls and doors alike)

Wooden fences aren't even as thick as one cube in real life, so try to limit wooden fence textures to one cube thick (clip the tops of them if you think it'd look weird to stand on them)
Thanks given by: