Poll: Is it ethical to share private discussions?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
20.00%
2 20.00%
No
80.00%
8 80.00%
Total 10 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Private Discussion Ethics
(23 Sep 12, 09:03PM)blueberry Wrote: I don't think you should be publicizing private messages. It seems like a violation of privacy.

This is true, it does seem like such. However, when having a private discussion, don't you also have to be aware that it might not stay private forever? What about if a forum member gets very mean/threatening PMs but has to provide proof for a mod to take action, how can they do so without sharing the message?

This has occurred in USA's politics (don't remember any names or such), but one politician said some stupid stuff to someone on the phone. The conversation went public and a whole debate around whether or not is ethical ensued.
Thanks given by:
Under the right circumstances, like you said...mean/threatening stuff.
Not was was seen earlier though.
Thanks given by:
Depends. If you only do it to mock someone, then no. If you do it to reveal interesting things everyone should know, then yes.
Thanks given by:
no need to ask people what is obvious for all. Private mean private. Obviously it is not because it is private that you have the right to say everything. If you go too far, you will have to face consequences ...
Thanks given by:
I genuinely thought this was a comparison between the private forum and PMs. Thought-provoking.
Thanks given by:
(23 Sep 12, 10:17PM)Ronald_Reagan Wrote: What about if a forum member gets very mean/threatening PMs but has to provide proof for a mod to take action . . .

In this case, the harassing PM's should be shared with the mod being asked to take action. It doesn't need to be shared with anyone else though.

(23 Sep 12, 11:38PM)tempest Wrote: If you do it to reveal interesting things everyone should know, then yes.

In my opinion, if it was sent as a PM, it was intended to be private. Other than being shared with a mod as evidence, it should stay that way.

(23 Sep 12, 11:40PM)Edward Wrote: Private mean private.

Yes. This is the point I was originally making to RK when he shared the PM.
Thanks given by:
When you PM something to someone, I'd consider the message to be in their ownership then. You gave someone a message. Why can't they do with that what they want to do with it?
Thanks given by:
In life, online or not, private information is only guarded by trust. Thus, everyone should already realise that you only share private information to those you trust.

(Note: It's not guarded by law. Laws can't really prevent the exchange of information, they can only attempt to persuade it to not be shared, or punish it after-the-fact).

If you're sharing something that you can't trust will be kept private, because of either the recipient or what the information is, you should really be questioning yourself as to whether you should send said information.
Thanks given by:
It all depends on the contest. Basicly, it's fair to do it if it regards cheating or something related, but what RK did is just an asshole thing.

(Nothing personal, anyone else could do it instead of RK).
Thanks given by:
Look, what happened, happened. Lets move on.

It should be noted: I made it public because the guy was trying to insult me. If you can't insult someone in public, then don't do it behind everyone's back in private - because it WILL become public, this is a general rule in life.

That is why the PM was made public. Thread closed.
Thanks given by: