Making AC portable
Hi-
I was just wondering how to make AssaultCube portable, so that you can put it on a USB drive and play it anywhere. My main issue is the OpenAL... if the computer doesn't have it installed, you can't play it. Is there a way to move the DLL file to a different location and point the game to it? Thanks in advance.
Thanks given by:
1) I have no idea about how to do this but very interesting idea, i would probably use it if it was created

2) i would suggest to post this thread in the help section, not in the general one

3) hope you find the solution
Thanks given by:
There is a portable version here: http://portableapps.com/apps/games/assaultcube_portable ... but it doesn't have a server script. I suppose you could just take the server stuff from the regular version and use that. I would still like to know how it's done, though.
Thanks given by:
I don't think you can force AC to look for the OpenAL DLL in a different directory without modifying the source yourself. Though, it might not be a bad idea for us to allow that in future versions, possibly via a client command line switch.
Thanks given by:
Actually, the only thing you have to do is modify the launcher script. E.g. in assaultcube.bat:
start bin_win32\ac_client.exe "--home=data" --init %1 %2 %3 %4 %5
should put all the stuff into a new directory named "data" within the main AC directory. The server should need no modifications at all.

As for the DLL, it might work if you just drop it into bin_win32.
Thanks given by:
You can use the win.rar to create an SFX, fill in the parameters correctly, example: Way to extract and assaultcbe.bat to run after the extraction is very simple and I already used it a few times.
Thanks given by:
its easy...
Find Assaultcube - BinWin32 - oalinst - double click

Thats how i did it, takes like a nonsecond to install.
Thanks given by:
(14 Sep 12, 11:25PM)tempest Wrote: As for the DLL, it might work if you just drop it into bin_win32.

I agree, that should work ;)
Thanks given by:
I didn't realize that the OpenAl32 file was already in the bin_win32 folder. I deleted the "RemoveThisPart..." so hopefully it will work next time I try it.
Thanks given by:
"DbgHelp_RemoveThisPartIfOnWin98" or "openal32_RemoveThisPartToUseOpenAL-Soft"? :S
Thanks given by:
(16 Sep 12, 04:35AM)V-Man Wrote: "DbgHelp_RemoveThisPartIfOnWin98" or "openal32_RemoveThisPartToUseOpenAL-Soft"? :S

The OpenAL one.
Thanks given by:
It didn't work. I am going to try the portable version from PortableApps and see if that works. It works on my laptop, but then again, so does the standard version.
Thanks given by:
If you give me some time, I´ll look into that, okay?
Thanks given by:
Perhaps another problem is that command prompt is disabled by the administrator of the network. Should that affect it?
Thanks given by:
(14 Sep 12, 11:10PM)Dynamite Wrote: There is a portable version here: http://portableapps.com/apps/games/assaultcube_portable ...

^This one... is actually how I found AC... It was my english teacher that showed me portable apps, and I downloaded AC as I had never played an fps game before... soooooo u can blame my English teacher for meating me
Thanks given by:
(19 Sep 12, 08:53PM)yopa Wrote: soooooo u can blame my English teacher for meating me
That sounds cruel somehow :)
Thanks given by:
Well, PortableApps is a good way of distribute this game :)
Others should follow as well.
Thanks given by:
PortableApps got openal in the bin-directory, so it´s working ;)
Thanks given by: