Americans, how can you cope...
... with your TV?

I'm currently on holiday (which means I bypass my blacklists for more than another week, woo hoo) and I'm convinced TV here is inferior to back home. And where I'm at, we've got 'cable' which is a term not used back in the UK but I know from episodes of The Simpsons it's meant to be something good, but that's all I know.

So there's a lot of channels, big deal. On Sky back home there must be as much. And that's not including the optional naughty channels you can pay for. And of the channels over here I'm sure over 100% of them are weather channels. How many weather channels can you need? As well as this there are FAR too many shopping channels. As in more than 0. One for every kind of crap that can be sold.

The other thing that bugs me, there are even more adverts than back home. And all about supposed medicines. Every one essentially contains the same warning message; "Do not take if you are currently alive". I watched one the other day, it was for relieving sore throats. Among the side effects were "Liver Failure", "Heart Disease" and, last but not least, "Death". Which makes me wonder, do y'all Americans mind that the medicines advertised to you have more ways of killing you than a swiss army knife?
Thanks given by:
I don't watch TV very much. So I guess I don't cope very well?

I watch things online if I want to watch them.
Thanks given by:
A rant blog would really suit you.
Thanks given by:
I didn't know people still watched TV.......
Thanks given by:
This is brilliant. :D
Thanks given by:
(03 Sep 12, 08:00AM)#M|A#Wolf Wrote: A rant blog would really suit you.

unquestionably, but this way the stuff gets read
Thanks given by:
As a New Zealander, the TV I watch is made in UK, USA and NZ. Admittedly, the NZ and UK stuff are much better at their comedic stuff :)

USA seems to come up with plots that have clever ideas though.

Funnily enough, the majority of NZ shows I watch are police-based, because they seem to find the biggest idiots in our country and shove them on TV, it's a real laugh. Take a look: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_qu...lice+ten+7
Thanks given by:
I don't watch tv. I only watch chinese little girl cartoons on my computer.
Thanks given by:
NZ badboys looks way better than the US.
Thanks given by:
I didn't know there was such a gross racism towards Maori. Or is that just among the usual dipshit youtube commenters?
Thanks given by:
Americans, how can you cope...

Easy. You drink tea. We drink beer.
Thanks given by:
(03 Sep 12, 11:28PM)macm Wrote: NZ badboys looks way better than the US.

That's because we don't normally pick up a gun to solve our problems, partly due to law, partly due to being shitface drunk, partly due to "FOOR MY HONNOOURR!"

Americas badboys seem to pick up a gun and start shooting.

(04 Sep 12, 12:51AM)tempest Wrote: I didn't know there was such a gross racism towards Maori. Or is that just among the usual dipshit youtube commenters?

There's a maori stereotype, to be honest, in some (50%? of) cases it's true. Be careful to distinguish the difference between poking fun at the stereotype and actual racism.

There is racism in every culture, everywhere. I myself am very much against it, but don't mind poking a bit of fun at the stereotype in the company of the right people (i.e. those that can take a joke, and will poke fun right back at me).

Just looked at some of the comments, disgusting. Hello underclass of NZ.

(06 Sep 12, 09:19PM)MorganKell Wrote: Americans, how can you cope...

Easy. You drink tea. We drink beer.

Common NZ stereotype, if you're poor, you drink cheap bourbon and beer. If you've got money, shots of anything.
Thanks given by:
I don't watch "cable" because paying for traditional cable/satellite/fios is a ripoff (for me.)

Hulu Plus+Netflix
Thanks given by:
Netflix is only meant for TV shows. Most of the movies are made in UK or US though. Americans also made Family Guy and South Park so jokes on you.
Thanks given by:
why watch TV when you have the internets? lol
Thanks given by:
screw tv. internet ftw
Thanks given by:
(09 Sep 12, 07:36AM)Jg99 Wrote: screw tv. internet ftw

gj copying MG
Thanks given by:
(03 Sep 12, 03:43AM)Hellspell Wrote: Where I'm at, we've got 'cable' which is a term not used back in the UK.

Wat. Lies, I know plenty of people round here that have cable.
I also prefer American advert breaks, they have more, but they're shorter.
Thanks given by:
^: The lovely thing about Australia is that we have a government-run station that doesn't have any type of ad during a show at all. It's amazing. :D
Thanks given by:
(09 Sep 12, 01:10PM)Orynge Wrote: ...

You forgot to add that it happens to be the source of the best shows, too.
Thanks given by:
Game of Thrones woot woot. No commercials at all btw. Umad?!
Thanks given by:
(09 Sep 12, 10:25AM)Z3R0 Wrote:
(03 Sep 12, 03:43AM)Hellspell Wrote: Where I'm at, we've got 'cable' which is a term not used back in the UK.

Wat. Lies, I know plenty of people round here that have cable.
I also prefer American advert breaks, they have more, but they're shorter.

I've never heard the term used doesn't mean it doesn't exist back home in some form. Literally everyone I know has Sky TV which explains why cable is only a word I hear in the US.
Thanks given by:
How to cope in the modern age of american television in three easy steps:

1. Subscribe to highspeed internet.
2. Install a bit torrrent client.
3. Download everything you like to watch from nearly any country in the world without any advertising at all.
Thanks given by:
I don't even watch TV at all except for movies with the family or with friends. I use my computer for most everything media-related these days.
Thanks given by:
Hellspell is right, TV sucks. I simply don't watch it anymore because of how ludicrous its content is. I think the less television is watched, the better off people will be.
Thanks given by:
^: But... what about sport? D:
Thanks given by:
Sports have ended for this year. Nothing left to see. And anyway, it's all on the internet.
Thanks given by:
In fairness though, Married with Children and Storage Wars are excellent programs, MWC being better than almost all British comedies. It is a shame storage wars on A and E is ruined by adverts. Luckily I get it over here with less and shorter adverts oddly on the history channel.

PS, I managed to forget House somehow, lead by veteran English actor Hugh Laurie. We have nothing like it here.
Thanks given by:
The thing that gets me the most about US TV is all the advertisements for lawyers and all of the ads for lawsuits. Sorta ridiculous.
Thanks given by:
Try being in Canada, our television programming sucks. We have one or two good channels which you can find on a regular US cable plan as well. We get about 80% of what comes on in the US, and the stuff we do get are typically months behind. Its always a treat when I go to the US I discover shows that I can watch online, and see episodes of my favourite shows months before they would air in my country.
Thanks given by: