Thoughts on the Olympics?
My thoughts on the Olympics:

[Image: Tom-Daley-and-Peter-Water-011.jpg]

... just kidding, i'm sure some of you know i like a chubby with a beard.
Thanks given by:
@Hellspell
Well, at least someone that sees my point, cause I wasnt talking about the olympics themselves (the sport event). I was talking about the people surrounding such a thing. But, I will elaborate for the kicks of it...
Quote:Every month UK households each throw away an average £50 worth of food that could have been eaten.
All avoidable food waste would fill 4,000 Olympic sized swimming pools.
Wasting food also harms the environment and contributes to climate change.
Councillor John Allsop on the matter:
Quote:"Having the Olympics in our country is a momentous event and we know many families and friends will be getting together.
"One of the effects of all these parties and celebrations is that we often generate more rubbish and food waste.
Trying to make people aware of the problem. But what about caterings and restaurants?
With 11 million visitors, one can only imagine the amount of food being thrown away...
About the Thames, you are right, I got my facts wrong, like from here:
Quote:In 1957, the Natural History Museum declared it "biologically dead" or incapable of supporting life.
lol
And pollution from transport is still there, you like it or not, moving all that people around makes and impact.
Did you know 5 people die each day in GB because of car accidents? I wonder what are the stats for July 2012...
But, as I said before, my point was about the people gathering, not the event.
Im sure the sports where phenomenal, but I would love to see that huge number of people gathering for a good cause, and not for entertainment.
Thanks given by:
[Image: a5390a51adb72da39bdcda1bd299f67f.gif?1324212758]
Thanks given by:
Really couldn't care less, I'm on vacation in the USA atm and everyone was annoying me with it all last week. Its not my thing. I do like Olympic hockey though... but that's all from the winter games
Thanks given by:
Quote:Every month UK households each throw away an average £50 worth of food that could have been eaten.
All avoidable food waste would fill 4,000 Olympic sized swimming pools.
Wasting food also harms the environment and contributes to climate change.

Breathing contributes to climate change.

(13 Aug 12, 11:41PM)paulmuaddibKA Wrote: I got my facts wrong, like from here:
Quote:In 1957, the Natural History Museum declared it "biologically dead" or incapable of supporting life.
Various species of birds feed off the river or nest on it, some being found both at sea and inland. These include Cormorant, Black-headed Gull, and Herring Gull. The Mute Swan is a familiar sight on the river but the escaped Black Swan is more rare. The annual ceremony of Swan upping is an old tradition of counting stocks. Non-native geese that can be seen include Canada Geese, Egyptian Geese, and Bar-headed Geese, and ducks include the familiar native Mallard, plus introduced Mandarin Duck and Wood Duck. Other water birds to be found on the Thames include the Great Crested Grebe, Coot, Moorhen, Heron, and Kingfisher. Many types of British birds also live alongside the river, although they are not specific to the river habitat.

The Thames contains both sea water and fresh water, thus providing support for seawater and freshwater fish. Salmon, which inhabit both environments, have been reintroduced and a succession of fish ladders have been built into weirs to enable them to travel upstream. On 5 August 1993 the largest non-tidal salmon in recorded history was caught close to Boulters Lock in Maidenhead. The specimen weighed 6.5 kg or 14.5 pounds and measured 88 cm or 22 inches in length. The eel is particularly associated with the Thames and there were formerly many eel traps. Freshwater fish of the Thames and its tributaries include brown trout, chub, dace, roach, barbel, perch, pike, bleak, and flounder. Colonies of short-snouted seahorses have also recently been discovered in the river.[27]
The Thames is also host to some invasive crustaceans, including the signal crayfish and the Chinese Mitten Crab.
On 20 January 2006 a 16–18 ft (5 m) northern bottle-nosed whale was seen in the Thames as far upstream as Chelsea. This was extremely unusual: this whale is generally found in deep sea waters. Crowds gathered along the riverbanks to witness the extraordinary spectacle but there was soon concern, as the animal came within yards of the banks, almost beaching, and crashed into an empty boat causing slight bleeding. About 12 hours later, the whale is believed to have been seen again near Greenwich, possibly heading back to sea. A rescue attempt lasted several hours, but the whale died on a barge. See River Thames whale.[28]

or just click http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...hames.html

Anyway enough with the depressing stuff why not talk about our favourite moments?
Thanks given by:
Mother of butthurt...

I think Mystered knows where it's at in this thread.
Thanks given by:
paul you say the right things, I agree with your every word :)
crime spend billions to the Olympics, when people live in such conditions, of which there is no exit https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Favela
or build Olympic facilities, as in Sochi, causing harm to the nature
Thanks given by:
Paul I'll give you something better to rant about.
The 2016 Olympics are going to be held in Brazil (I think Rio de Janeiro). And Brazil also gets the next FIFA World Cup in 2014.
Go wild.
Overall London did a pretty nice job.
Thanks given by:
(14 Aug 12, 12:16AM)Mystered Wrote: [Image: a5390a51adb72da39bdcda1bd299f67f.gif?1324212758]

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I wanted to see, Usain Botl loose though.
Thanks given by:
Australian free-to-air coverage was crap
Thanks given by:
This was my nr.1 Olympic moment. First dutch gold in gymnastics ever, and he won it like a BAWS.

EDIT:no tv footage can be shown because of crappy copyright
Thanks given by:
Brazil over Chicago was a bad call btw.
Thanks given by:
why? better women in rio. better weather in rio. better atmosphere in rio. better touristic attractions and beaches in rio. and it'll be the first time the olympics will be held in south america unlike the u.s who have done it already at least 5-6 times. rio already has the biggest stadium in south america, the maracana, unlike chicago which was planning to build one if they had been chosen. many sport facilities have already been constructed because of the 2007 pan americans where rio also built and has the biggest cycling 'dome' in latin america. rio has many of the best hotels in the country. plus, after the world cup their infrastructure will basically already be done.
Thanks given by:
eh... brazil doesn't have enough airports for the amount of people coming. that's gonna be chaotic. if you're planning on coming, be ready for some real shitty airport tales, i mean it, flights cancelled, flights late, gigantic lines and loads of people who won't understand a single word you're saying because you probably think we speak spanish.

also, our ceremony is going to be AWFUL. trust me. maybe the boys'll like it, there's gonna be a lot of nude women - even though that is not our culture.

yes, rio has a lotta cool hotels, but they are already as expensive as a vagina reconstruction for a 90 year old rag and the olympics will make it even more expensive. and nope, wolf, the world cup is also going to be a disaster because my country is the country of idiots :') we get no shit done.

ONE MORE THING: RIO ISN'T EVEN PRETTY, it's small and idiotic and people there suck balls. Any other city AND state is better than Rio. If you really wanna have a good time in a truly beautiful brazilian city, go to Recife in december.
Thanks given by:
And the Gold Medal for -=obvious yet unseen troll in a thread=- goes to paulmuaddibKA.

None of you knows what true purpose the Olympics serves?
Thanks given by:
do you hate your own country misty or you just like to find the negative side of everything?
Thanks given by:
i hate it.
Thanks given by:
@Axel, XD U rock bro!

@Bullpup ehh, thanks! At least someone enjoyed it!

(14 Aug 12, 09:19PM)Misty Wrote: go to Recife in december.
Ill sure follow your advice! Been wanting to go since forever!
Thanks!
Thanks given by:
all have approximately the same problem, which nobody decides, and on the solution of which the individual is not could be affected, it is certainly "blah blah blah", but we should at least talk
I also don't like when all attack the one XD
Thanks given by:
(14 Aug 12, 12:07PM)Marti Wrote: This was my nr.1 Olympic moment. First dutch gold in gymnastics ever, and he won it like a BAWS.
Daaayyumm!!
Thanks given by:
(15 Aug 12, 09:14AM)MykeGregory Wrote:
(14 Aug 12, 12:07PM)Marti Wrote: This was my nr.1 Olympic moment. First dutch gold in gymnastics ever, and he won it like a BAWS.
Daaayyumm!!

His perfermance was inspired by the music it seems, it's like he thought 'time to be a badass'

My second favourite Olympic moment:
[Image: t35Mu.jpg]

My first:
[Image: pa-14291515.jpg]
Why? Because that was Tom Daley's celebration after winning a bronze. Surely when he was in the lead you'd imagine he could not possibly be happy with less than gold being so close, but yet when he didn't he was still overwhelmed with joy for what he had won. How many people would sit and sulk in that situation? Not Tom Daley, he was overjoyed that he won a bronze medal in his own country's Olympics - and rightfully so!
Thanks given by:
Well he is 18 and already won a bronze medal. Anyone in their right minds would celebrate like that, lad's got a bright future.
Thanks given by:
When athletes were so close to gold, they tend not to be in their right minds. The Chinese diver who won silver's instant reaction was to place his arm against the wall and rest his head upon it, not showing his face. When he turned around you could see he was disappointed. He warmed to the fact he won a silver medal on later reflection, though. The difference was the instant reactions.

I watched so many events wherein the interviews just after the finish the athletes were utterly disappointed in themselves, even when they won medals. It sounds crazy but that's the way people seem to work.

This is an example

Do you get what I'm on about, why I was impressed by how Tom took it?
Thanks given by:
found this meme funny :P

[Image: 860.jpg]
Thanks given by:
The Australian coverage was so crap that I lost interest.
Thanks given by:
Maybe it was due to the fact that yorkshire had more medals than all of Australia until the last day :D
Thanks given by:
I didn't watch as much as I wanted: Caught some prime-time gymnastics, missed the opening and closing ceremonies. I can't remember (read: To lazy to google) the country, but didn't some athletes from a poorer, oppressive country see this as their opportunity to finally leave and just up and left the Olympic village one night?
Thanks given by:
(18 Aug 12, 05:50PM)fernando Wrote: but didn't some athletes from a poorer, oppressive country see this as their opportunity to finally leave and just up and left the Olympic village one night?

yeah some african athletes (i believe cameroon) did
Thanks given by:
GBR :
7 gold medals in cycling
4 gold medals in rowing
3 gold medals in riding
Your country always win the same Olympics events since ages (reminds me china with ping-pong) but you did great job in athletics with 4 gold medals.

Btw France is da best at Judo, canoeing, cycling mountain bike, pole vault, handball and swimming (we owned American's asses during dat 4x100).

<3 Bolt <3 hicham el guerrouj

Edit : yeah I found this awesome replay kk ...

... and it is obviously blocked so watch it on youtube : http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pla...XI_XeoIFnI
Thanks given by:
Hmm, I agree with much writen here, there are many things in Britain that need fixing and food waste is a problem. The Olympics are however supposed to bring poeples from around the world together, I believe they did that. Yes a lot of money was spent, but it should be remebered that the amount spent on the Olympics is a fraction of the money spent bailing out some European countries who are and have been for some time living beyond their means.

and one more point @Paul you are not wrong in what you say, but you must accept that Spain is also a huge part of the problem see below.

Spanish News | Food Waste

Spain is one of Europe´s most wasteful countries as far as food is concerned.The European average is 179 kilos of food waste per man , woman and child and in Spain the average is 163 kilos per man woman and child.Spain comes after Germany , Holland , France , Poland and Italy.

It is not only the consumer that is wasteful but everyone inbetween too from production downwards.

Lack of awareness ,poor packaging ,confusion over “sell by ” dates and “best before ” all add to the confusion.There are more than 70 million people in Europe affected by poverty and consequently the wastage of so much food needs to be addressed.

39% of waste starts during the growth of food according to the Euro MP Salvatore Carrona.Some Spanish farmers would disagree with this. They say that nothing is thrown away unless there is a very good reason , as with the E coli scare last year.It is the fruit and vegetable dealers who decide what is right for the market.The rejected food may never reach the shelves but it is not returned to the grower.

Spanish restaurants throw away 63,000 tons of food every year and this is double the amount of 20 years ago. 30% can be lost in preparation and 60% can be because the caterer over estimates.Clients only leave 10%.

Maybe as food costs increase we will all become more aware of the importance of utilising all that we purchase.

Now what about working together instead of throwing rocks at each other ;)
Thanks given by: