Swearing
Why aren't some words filtered?
I'm just wondering as in every match there are people who swear and stuff after they die and flame others. Wouldn't a simple filter that filter the plain and simple stuff help?
Thanks given by:
1.1 has a lenient chat filter. Any word that is >=%80(?) similar to foul words results in a reminder to that player to use better language.
Thanks given by:
I doubt a console message saying "Watch your language!" will actually make someone stop swearing (unless if that message is repeated the server kicks him, though I don't know if it does that since I've never experienced that, hehe).

I think what we should do is instead of that; like Knife said, to filter them and if someone wants to say "Fuck you", then the word 'Fuck' would come out as ****. It would be pretty annoying if "shit" would also be filtered cause when someone says that alone, it's never to insult someone; simply to mention how they f*cked something up.

Is there a way for the server to detect different combinations of swear words, so you are allowed to say the word alone, "fuck", but not "fuck you", or "fuck that", "shit on you", etc, etc...
Thanks given by:
But wolf what if they just flooded and did

F*CK
YOU

or

F
K
Thanks given by:
You kick/ban them.
Thanks given by:
I personally am not a fan of the new filter. I think it should be an option set by the server admin, maybe even default to off.
(Although it may be like that already because I tried to make a server yet)

I never really saw much use of foul language in AC and when I did it was usually in good context, like used for emphasis or as an exclamation rather than directed at anyone offensively.
Thanks given by:
To my knowledge, multi-line chat filtering will be implemented.
Thanks given by:
I'd like an option to "squelch" out individual swearwords.
Thanks given by:
(12 Aug 10, 05:46AM)RIPBillyMays Wrote: I think it should be an option set by the server admin, maybe even default to off.

there is a file: config/forbidden.cfg
If you let this *file* empty, you will filter nothing...
Thanks given by:
Particularly offensive words should be blocked. We already block the most offensive names, it doesn't make sense not to block/filter those terms in the chat. Normal cussing is fine but there are some words that just have no place or reason in a game.
Thanks given by:
Just kick/ban the players who repitedly use those words just to be noobs. Don't filter the words, i still want to be the attencion wore who types "shit" or something like that every time i die.
Thanks given by:
No words be blocked ... Let freedom of speech stay. Up to server admins to ban
Thanks given by:
As long as Dion isn't banned I'm good. Cacete!
Thanks given by:
I like swearing. :P
It makes me feel cool.
Thanks given by:
(13 Aug 10, 03:18AM)DaRealRocky Wrote: No words be blocked ... Let freedom of speech stay. Up to server admins to ban

The problem with the freedom of speech argument is that noone is using the in-game chat feature of AC as a platform for sending a message greater than the literal words it contains. There is no squelching of information this way; just preservation of an appropriate atmosphere for young adults and old folk alike.
Thanks given by:
Or you know, ya'll could stop trying to solve problems that aren't there and just leave out swear filtering. It's lame anyway.
Thanks given by:
If they overswear, kick 'em. If they come back and overswear, ban them.
Thanks given by:
I meant, client-side squelching, as in:
They are allowed to swear all they want.
I am allowed to pick which words don't make it to my screen.
i.e., freedom of speech goes hand-in-hand with people's freedom of listening (or not listening).
Thanks given by:
How about racist comments? that the filter works?
Thanks given by:
(13 Aug 10, 08:07PM)DES|V-Man Wrote: I meant, client-side squelching, as in:
i.e., freedom of speech goes hand-in-hand with people's freedom of listening (or not listening).

+1 :)
Thanks given by:
My client filter list would include:
harps
music
cacete
+1 for V-Man
Thanks given by:
+1 in that idea.
Thanks given by:
(14 Aug 10, 12:35AM)Bukz Wrote:
(13 Aug 10, 08:07PM)DES|V-Man Wrote: I meant, client-side squelching, as in:

+1 :)

+20
Thanks given by:
as draul will now contend that he invented this.^
Thanks given by: