Official maps pros & cons
After a loong time, hopefully, we will be seeing the release of a new version of AC soon, which, allegedly, will include moar official maps!
So, it is my desire to listen what other people have to say about the official package, so, here we go!
Possible template
*Name of map here*
Thoughts:
Enjoy!
(Please refrain to comment on obvious things, like douzes "popularity")
Thanks given by:
(08 Jul 12, 03:31PM)paulmuaddibKA Wrote: (Please refrain to comment on obvious things, like douzes "popularity")

rattrap
Thanks given by:
ac_avenue(most of the hallways are loaded with texture clashes/or lack of textures, that any other mapper would get ripped for. Lots of window spam.)
ac_edifice(the new cla aqueous? :D)
ac_industrial(rattrap-like lag, and a path that goes alllll the way around just to get to the base.)
ac_stellar(Detail spam. This is the douze era of no mapmodels, go away sexy maps. No Camping sign allowed.)

I'm excited for the new release. :)
I'll edit this post to go with the template paul mentioned..later. :3

Thanks given by:
Newer maps are pushing the limits of this engine, so yeah, people stuck on older hardware will probably have lag problems on them, but any computer (note how I'm not including laptops) constructed in the last 7 years or so should have no problems playing any of those maps, especially if you have a sensible config.
Thanks given by:
I am indeed very unhappy with the added maps. My netbook cant handel them they are A. Too big B. Too many mapmodels C. They dont seem to fit matchplay much imo. They are nice no doubt, but I thought AC was THE game for people with crappy pcs like me.
Thanks given by:
(08 Jul 12, 04:41PM)Nightmare Wrote: . Once I take jamz's lead dev spot, they will get taken out for mini douze. \:D
XD , note the "possible" before template!
Thanks for the info on the new maps! I didnĀ“t know which they were!(lazyness?, asshaterry?, ... xD)
Mini_douze all the way!
Thanks given by:
(08 Jul 12, 04:41PM)Nightmare Wrote: ac_avenue

Wait, ac_avenue is official? What?!
Thanks given by:
Quote:They are nice no doubt, but I thought AC was THE game for people with crappy pcs like me.

Thats why theres maps like depot/desert/douze/complex/urban/etc. that are very lightweight maps, everyone can run them.

Quote:Wait, ac_avenue is official? What?!

In SVN yes.
Thanks given by:
FINALLY
Thanks given by:
(08 Jul 12, 06:02PM)Bukz Wrote:
Quote:They are nice no doubt, but I thought AC was THE game for people with crappy pcs like me.

Thats why theres maps like depot/desert/douze/complex/urban/etc. that are very lightweight maps, everyone can run them.
So but Bukz then why make maps that don't fit those requirements official? I mean you can add them in a package as cool maps for everyone going along with the download. But official maps means that they are possible as match picks. Which is very unhandy for crappy pc owners that like to match like me.
Thanks given by:
That's a good point. Clan matches are played on official maps and if not everyone can play them, that's a problem. I too have a low-powered laptop and wouldn't be able to handle larger more detailed maps, etc.
Thanks given by:
I give up
Thanks given by:
(09 Jul 12, 01:25AM)Edward Wrote: I give up
[offtopic]
Random.
Inb4 rule 19.
Oic. You edited your post.
[/offtopic]

Is there a list of the other soon-to-be official maps?
Thanks given by:
(09 Jul 12, 03:15AM)ShadowFlameZ Wrote:
(09 Jul 12, 01:25AM)Edward Wrote: I give up
[offtopic]
Random.
Inb4 rule 19.
Oic. You edited your post.
[/offtopic]

Is there a list of the other soon-to-be official maps?

here's one
Thanks given by:
I have been in AC for quite a while and seen many maps some good, some bad, and some awesome. Many of these never make it to the official map list, the main reason given is that they are too detailed with too many models ect and would require good hardware to run them.

I have no issue with making sure AC contains maps that all machines can run no matter how old and infirm they are (Bukz). I would however like to see choices, it would be easy for the devs to code it so the better your machine the more maps you can access!

I would genuinely like to see map restrictions at least scaled back, more maps in the official release, lets not dumb down AC for everyone because of some old hardware, for sure lets make sure people with that hardware can still experience the pleasure of being owned in clan matches, but also lets make sure that for those (the majority it would seem) with better hardware can experience the fun of AC running at its best.

Also I believe Cleaner has made a sugestion about changing mapmodels many times now which would make these maps easier to download (smaller). Dont stiffle creativity, allready some are growing bored with AC...
Thanks given by:
Couldn't the devs just stick a star or something on the map list next to CM-able maps? :)
Allow everything for pubs, but don't allow lag maps & super unbalanced maps for CM's.
Maybe the same for modes too...
Thanks given by:
I like that idea, but it just doesn't sound like something that would be implemented. Seems a bit silly in some way, although I really do like the idea.
Thanks given by:
Its really not up to the devs to decide what maps people can clan match on, thats up to the opposing clans to decide and agree upon before they ever start playing to begin with IMO.

If the competitive side of the community would get together and try to agree on some basic clan match rules (like discussing acceptable/not acceptable maps for match play ahead of time) then issues like these would not exist to begin with.

Instead, every clan seems to leave their matching rules open to interpretation, which is going to cause problems eventually.

Not only this, but it seems that people feel obligated to play a map just because they are in a clan match. Nobody is forcing you to play a map/mode that you don't like/can't play smoothly/etc. - if you choose to not to mention something before you begin playing then theres nobody to blame but yourself - the devs didn't do this to you...

Quote:Yes <insert opposing clan name here>, we'd love to have a match against you, <insert link to their clan match rules here> heres a list of our clan match rules and maps/modes that we are NOT willing to match on, do you still want to play?

That way, everyone involved in the match should know ahead of time what rules they should follow, and what maps/modes they are allowed to vote in.

Or things can remain the same way and nothing will change, but like I said its not up to the devs to put rules on clan matching, or decide what official maps/modes are allowed to be matched on - that changes from person to person and is highly based on opinion.
Thanks given by:
*ac_edifice*
Thoughts: this map should not be official cause it's not a good map enough.
[strike]Likes:[/strike] Something deserve a screenshot?

Another DES| Map format in the wall.

(09 Jul 12, 09:08PM)Bukz Wrote: If the competitive side of the community would get together and try to agree on some basic clan match rules (like discussing acceptable/not acceptable maps for match play ahead of time) then issues like these would not exist to begin with.

Yes, but we must discuss about acceptable/not acceptable official maps for match, because:

(09 Jul 12, 09:08PM)Bukz Wrote: Not only this, but it seems that people feel obligated to play a map just because they are in a clan match. Nobody is forcing you to play a map/mode that you don't like/can't play smoothly/etc.

just an exemple
More you play ac_elevation CTF, more you are good on, more the match is interesting. So sometimes, overplaying a map in match is a good thing.

You can compare it to (haters gonna hate) CS, overplayed ac_inferno/dust2, but it's always interesting to see how it will turn cause it's never the same result.
Thanks given by:
Castiel did have an idea about some sort of group that would provide somewhat of a official ruleset for clan matches. Maybe someone who has the experience, wisdom, time, and ability could follow up with that
Thanks given by:
the best system would take a good coder to implement.
i dont see the problem with the current system at the moment, the de facto match system agreed on by most clans works great, but if u want to improve on the current system then u could make a simple 2vs2/3vs3 CTF matchmaking system inbuilt into AC with maps such as arid, aqueous, etc removed. if u want to expand on that u can add a ranking system based on ELO or something like that. i'm not going to ramble on the specifics of such a system but thats the general idea.

(09 Jul 12, 09:08PM)Bukz Wrote: its not up to the devs to put rules on clan matching, or decide what official maps/modes are allowed to be matched on that changes from person to person and is highly based on opinion.

no it is up to you seriously, its just that barely any of u have a clue. its hardly opinion based at all, every player in AC with experience in matches can tell you(without bias) that arid and aqueous arnt fit for matches in AC due to balancing reasons. they could be re-balanced, but none of the devs would do it or accept anyones' effort to fix them up(please prove me wrong)
Thanks given by:
(10 Jul 12, 05:13AM)Undead Wrote: the best system would take a good coder to implement.
i dont see the problem with the current system at the moment, the de facto match system agreed on by most clans works great, but if u want to improve on the current system then u could make a simple 2vs2/3vs3 CTF matchmaking system inbuilt into AC with maps such as arid, aqueous, etc removed. if u want to expand on that u can add a ranking system based on ELO or something like that. i'm not going to ramble on the specifics of such a system but thats the general idea.

100% agree (crossfire system behind?)
+ 7.5 minutes on each sides of the map, no unfair situations anymore, you have to improve that you are BETTER than your oponents on this map in anyway.

Like this, unfair maps like ac_desert3 or even ac_aqueous could be played without any problem!
Thanks given by:
presuming you make some sort of an effort, arid is borderline impossible to lose as CLA. it's ridiculous and not "fun" to play as either side.

not sure how Undead's idea would be implemented but it sounds like something that would definetely be useful.
Thanks given by:
My idea just takes a quick map menu change. :D
Everyone agrees on certain super rigged maps, and you can drop maps with 30%+ fps drop in certain areas compared to it's nicer areas. :3
Then Vanquish won't get Arid'ed to death, OpTic won't get power-ed until his computer starts smoking, and YesWeCamp's netbook won't turn to dust on rattrap/industrial. :3
Thanks given by:
(10 Jul 12, 01:19PM)Nightmare Wrote: My idea just takes a quick map menu change. :D

but it is completely pointless
Thanks given by:
(10 Jul 12, 05:13AM)Undead Wrote: every player in AC with experience in matches can tell you(without bias) that arid and aqueous arnt fit for matches in AC due to balancing reasons.

ac_arid is my favourite map, but I agree- it isn't fair at all.

We could just have an unwritten rule to fix it now, (until someone proposes a better solution) that certain maps cannot be chosen.
Thanks given by:
Some aspects of maps accompanied with the ar's knock back make game play tedious and ridiculous. I know assaultcube is meant to be a face paced fps, but when someone can get a flag in 3-5 seconds, leaving* no chance for a return, I don't see that making interesting and fun game play.
Thanks given by:
(11 Jul 12, 08:16PM)Takkunen Wrote: Some aspects of maps accompanied with the ar's knock back make game play tedious and ridiculous. I know assaultcube is meant to be a face paced fps, but when someone can get a flag in 3-5 seconds, leabing no chance for a return, i don't see that making interesting and fun gameplay.

if you watched matches(you do) you'd see that just doesn't happen in games unless the other team fucks up
Thanks given by:
Quote:if you watched matches(you do) you'd see that just doesn't happen in games unless the other team fucks up

I understand why/when it happens, but I just think the knock back provided from the AR allows too much reward for 1 teams mistake.
It's an overpowered design feature; If the AR had it's knock back reduced to the point where it's a little more viable to do than with an SMG than it is now, or maybe on par with the SMG, you'd be able to see more variety and equality with the automatic rifles and more interesting strategy implemented game play.
Thanks given by:
F1, I've been wanting AR's kickback to be around smg level forever.
Thanks given by: