Multiple Servers
I have Mac OSX 10.6.8 and I'm wondering how I would go about making a second server. I have one that is running fine but my internet connection is fast and I would like to make another one. Sorry if this has been answered but I couldn't find anything.

-blueberry
Thanks given by:
You have to use a different port for the second server, I guess. Not sure if there are additional restrictions on a Mac.
Thanks given by:
A different port and a server set for that port should be all you need but the port numbers must be different by at least 2 cause each server uses 2 ports. If you set first server to 28763, it uses 28763 and 28764, so the next closest port available is 28765. You do not need to have them close, you could make second one 4975 if you wanted to.

Upload speed is what limits the number and size of servers, what is your upload speed?
Thanks given by:
his upload speed is ~4mbit, thats what he told me, so he can run plenty of servers
Thanks given by:
(01 Jul 12, 06:32PM)Jg99 Wrote: his upload speed is ~4mbit, thats what he told me, so he can run plenty of servers

If you host a server a home, you have to pay attention to a few more things.
Don’t mix up the uplink and downlink speed of your internet connection. The
common ADSL line has much more downlink than uplink capability - your AC server
needs much more uplink than downlink bandwidth instead. For example, if you have
3MBit-ADSL with 384kBit uplink speed, your server will be limited by the uplink
speed: 7 player slots is maximum.

From The Complete Idiot’s Guide to AC Servers (1.0.4)
by stef

Check here for the bandwidth table

Get The Complete Idiot’s Guide to AC Servers (1.0.4) here
Thanks given by:
Yeah my upload is about 4.2 Mbps. The thing is, I had my server at 6 slots and I raised it to 12. However, even when it was at 6 slots, people's pings were usually around 250 or sometimes more. Why is that? Could it be that it's just their poor internet and far distance or is it my internet? I'm worried now that the 12 slot server will lag even worse. Or is 250 a decent ping? It's definitely not ideal.
Thanks given by:
There are many possible reasons. One is simply distance - if you're in, say, Australia, European players just won't get anything better than 250-300 ping. Another one is, of course, connection latency on your end - try http://pingtest.net/ if you haven't yet. Finally, I just hope you're on an all-wired connection rather than a WLAN :P

Either way, pj is much more important than ping - as long as the connection is stable (low pj), 250 ping isn't much of a problem.
Thanks given by:
Hm... okay yeah. I guess it's not awful ping. I have yet to learn how to host multiple servers though. I read the idiots guide. Would opening multiple AC launchers work?
Thanks given by:
Yes.
Thanks given by:
Okay I'll see if I can do that. Is that how OS X users host multiple servers? Or is this a more legitimate method?
Thanks given by:
OSX users generally don't host many servers. There is a better way, but I don't expect you to do that or figure out how to do that.
Thanks given by:
That's a bit condescending, but thanks for all the help everyone!
Thanks given by:
No, its just never been done before afaik.
Thanks given by:
Okay sorry I misinterpreted your post. Thanks for the help fellas. Especially Ronald_Reagan. You really helped me set up my initial server. Later!
Thanks given by:
Gee, don't you guys have a shell? AFAIK bash is available by default, and I guess even on a Mac you can use that to start a program without resorting to a graphical launcher :P
Thanks given by:
Sorry tempest, but that was above my head. I'm really not that savvy when it comes to computers compared to most guys around here.
Thanks given by:
Well, you asked if there was "a more legitimate method" ;)
Thanks given by:
I know I did, but I just don't know how to execute what you described. I understand the concept, but I just can't do that. I think I might stick with one server anyway. Thanks though :)
Thanks given by: