Recently...
Sorry if this should be somewhere else. Wasnt sure where to put but anyway I have been play Ac for a while now not exactly sure how long.

So recently i have seen a crapload of hackers and aimbotters that never seemed to be on before. Im talking about obvious hacks like everytime they shoot they get a headshot even if you arent visible so they go 100-0 in a minute or flyhacks. Anyway it seems that the amount of hackers has spiked so i am guessing there is a new hack client or something flying around the web.

Anyway just putting it out there. Anyone know whats going on?

Thank you for reading,
-.tf|WuBBStePP
Thanks given by:
Penguins cannot fly, I am a penguin.
Thanks given by:
I was in a game last night where there were 2-3 hackers (speed hacking, instant headshots, some grenade hack I think), it was absolutely terrible. Finally an admin came in and I believe it calmed down, but I hadn't seen it that bad in a while (from what I can remember, anyway).
Thanks given by:
jamz needs to start threatening defamation lawsuits against websites with hax.
Thanks given by:
That wouldn't be fair Nightmare. Everyone needs something to make them feel good about themselves.
Thanks given by:
Every once in a while someone says this happens. A "new" crop of cheaters appears.

Every time it happens I try to get online a few times to see it for myself. And every time I do I never see one obvious cheater.

I'm really starting to believe people are just playing on junk servers. Which raises a small issue:

1. Central blacklists are reserved mostly for particularly potent and destructive cheats. Therefore only a handful of cheaters will ever make it there and even if they do it's nothing a proxy can't fix. The CBL is nothing the average cheat needs to concern himself about.
2. Servers will likely never be required to run a blacklist as that is functionally a central blacklist.
3. Servers are damn easy to set up and run.

As a consequence of the above three, I believe there is a large quantity of servers with an outdated blacklist(Or none). These servers are then overrun with "new" cheaters.

Then there are adequately administrated servers with some form of blacklist, admins, and few cheaters.

As any frequent visitor to these forums knows, we can't always expect a new user to take it upon himself to read the documentation, get educated, and do it the right way. AC's style of pick-it-up-and-play applies to the server as well. It may even be discouraging users from running quality servers.

So we have a flood of servers that are always empty, some quality servers that are frequently occupied to some extent because players know they are good, and garbage servers with no administration because somebody picked up the software and ran it without a thought.

I wonder if we should be doing something to encourage higher quality servers. I wonder if there is an objective method for measuring the quality of a server aside from measuring latency/packet loss as these are not the issue. And I wonder if we should be employing these methods to determine who is doing it right, who is doing it wrong, and addressing the issue on a case-by-case basis.
Thanks given by:
As a legitimate player who is trying to get good enough to play pickups, scrims, and eventually join a great clan, what are some quality servers that I can watch out for during my travels?
Thanks given by:
BoB TyD ladder servers, sometimes sJ´s ladder server, for flag modes.
TyD Forsaken Forgotten for variety of maps, modes and good players. Also some DES and B} servers, not as populated.
HTN for LSS.
SODA, GsF, ED, B}, BCFH, LC, kiwy, MyS, DES FD, servers depending on timezone...
Borscht, Play Fair or Die, Gema Central, AoW, for GEMA fun.
*please note that Im a n00b and this is only an opinion!
Forgot the former 40+, you can get a grasp of its awesomeness here:
http://shad-99.org/start.html
Thanks given by:
Play on aow servers and silvercloud (my servers) they run my blacklist, updated frequently and anticheat is checked and all cheaters loged acac get banned unless they were unfairly banned cause of megatowers rewind

All servers but silvercloud oasis have anticheat cuz sc oasis is gonna be on tyd ladder soon so i have to block voting by using a server mod.
Thanks given by:
(11 Jun 12, 12:45AM)Jg99 Wrote: Play on aow servers and silvercloud (my servers) they run my blacklist, updated frequently and anticheat is checked and all cheaters loged acac get banned unless they were unfairly banned cause of megatowers rewind

All servers but silvercloud oasis have anticheat cuz sc oasis is gonna be on tyd ladder soon so i have to block voting by using a server mod.

punctual huh
Thanks given by:
Mael i think you make a great point but Assault Cube needs the control. Looking back at reason 2 there should be ac anti cheat and blacklist not server anti cheat and blacklist
Thanks given by:
I would just like to point out that my server is hacker free. And it runs no blacklist. Perhaps what should be encouraged is more laptop servers like mine. It's only running when I'm on, and usually only when I'm playing AssaultCube myself. This ensures it's always administrated. How can a server that runs 24 hours a day be admin'd at all times, even by an entire international clan? Everyone's shifts are going to have to be very well organised.

Or perhaps laptop servers aren't the answer. But one thing's for certain is that the best way to deter hackers other than a working anti cheat, is for servers to be well admin'd. As I asserted you'll never get a server admin'd around the clock but it would be good if every server had as many admins as possible. I contributed to this myself in fact only Yesterday. I gave my admin pass to someone who didn't know one word of English. Actually he knew three words; give, me, admin. This course of action should be promoted. I know this because we have all seen a shining example of it working to ensure hacker-free gameplay: the 40+ servers. They have so many trusted admins that no-one bothers to hack there, you'd be banned in an instant if you did. It's just the most incredibly effective and simple thing, give your admin pass out.
Thanks given by:
Sj is well admind also if all the servers were like yours the servers would be off and online constantly with no gernerl consistency.
Thanks given by:
(11 Jun 12, 03:28AM)Hellspell Wrote: I would just like to point out that my server is hacker free. And it runs no blacklist. Perhaps what should be encouraged is more laptop servers like mine. It's only running when I'm on, and usually only when I'm playing AssaultCube myself. This ensures it's always administrated. How can a server that runs 24 hours a day be admin'd at all times, even by an entire international clan? Everyone's shifts are going to have to be very well organised.

Or perhaps laptop servers aren't the answer. But one thing's for certain is that the best way to deter hackers other than a working anti cheat, is for servers to be well admin'd. As I asserted you'll never get a server admin'd around the clock but it would be good if every server had as many admins as possible. I contributed to this myself in fact only Yesterday. I gave my admin pass to someone who didn't know one word of English. Actually he knew three words; give, me, admin. This course of action should be promoted. I know this because we have all seen a shining example of it working to ensure hacker-free gameplay: the 40+ servers. They have so many trusted admins that no-one bothers to hack there, you'd be banned in an instant if you did. It's just the most incredibly effective and simple thing, give your admin pass out.

Btw, what is ur server anyway?
Thanks given by:
InB4 "We need a registration system"
Thanks given by:
(11 Jun 12, 03:28AM)Hellspell Wrote: This course of action should be promoted [...] give your admin pass out.

I might like to see something akin to master status return to the game. An alternative administrator status separate from admin with limited rights(Specified by the server operator) that must be claimed with an alternative password or given to a connected player.

This status may allow a player to make kicks/bans but not call map/mode votes, remove bans, forceteam, or toggle autoteam. Votes called by master are given additional time before they expire.
Thanks given by:
(11 Jun 12, 12:43AM)paulmuaddibKA Wrote: BoB TyD ladder servers, sometimes sJ´s ladder server, for flag modes.
TyD Forsaken Forgotten for variety of maps, modes and good players. Also some DES and B} servers, not as populated.
HTN for LSS.
SODA, GsF, ED, B}, BCFH, LC, kiwy, MyS, DES FD, servers depending on timezone...

Still here Paul ! :D

-We can't quit .. -To nice game :P -But we might not perhaps be as active as we use to.. -That's another story :P
Thanks given by:
(11 Jun 12, 03:14PM)Mael Wrote:
(11 Jun 12, 03:28AM)Hellspell Wrote: This course of action should be promoted [...] give your admin pass out.

I might like to see something akin to master status return to the game. An alternative administrator status separate from admin with limited rights(Specified by the server operator) that must be claimed with an alternative password or given to a connected player.

This status may allow a player to make kicks/bans but not call map/mode votes, remove bans, forceteam, or toggle autoteam. Votes called by master are given additional time before they expire.

Good idea, that should be in 1.1.1. i'd implent if i knew c++ and i was a dev.
Thanks given by:
Myke gregory is no genious but registering just makes sense.
Thanks given by:
(11 Jun 12, 03:15PM)shad-99 Wrote:
(11 Jun 12, 12:43AM)paulmuaddibKA Wrote: BoB TyD ladder servers, sometimes sJ´s ladder server, for flag modes.
HTN for LSS.

Still here Paul ! :D

-We can't quit .. -To nice game :P -But we might not perhaps be as active as we use to.. -That's another story :P
I was gonna be to expressive to my liking, well, I might as well be:
Cum outta my ears brah! XD
Thanks given by:
(12 Jun 12, 12:21AM)Tac WuBBStePP Wrote: Myke gregory is no genious but registering just makes sense.

*genius

;D
Thanks given by:
(15 Jun 12, 04:14AM)VenteX Wrote:
(12 Jun 12, 12:21AM)Tac WuBBStePP Wrote: Myke gregory is no genious but registering just makes sense.

*genius

;D
Oh god. Thanks for making it obvious lol
Thanks given by:
"I would just like to point out that my server is hacker free. And it runs no blacklist. Perhaps what should be encouraged is more laptop servers like mine." -Hellspell

^Um, I dont know if its drugs u are doin, or drugs you NEED to be doing.^

"Every time it happens I try to get online a few times to see it for myself. And every time I do I never see one obvious cheater." -Mael

^Try playing at a diff time. The BR are using autoheadshot cheats all over the place^

ninja
Thanks given by: