Why do grenades sometimes do unexpected damage?
This happened to me earlier, so I thought I'd post it here with a little explanation as to why (as far as I'm aware) it happens, although I'm sure Brahma has shown this before somewhere...

When the CLA guy (Obama's_treason, for some reason) releases the grenade, as far as he's concerned it goes down the bridge/tunnel. The server (and my client) has him in a slightly different position at the point of release, and as far as we're concerned, the nade bounced back off the door frame and into the stairwell behind him. When the nade explodes, his client reports the location as being right by me, so the server says, "Oh, jamz is there. Boom!". And I'm left wondering where it all went wrong.
Not all mis-hits are as obvious as this, but it's quite easy to see how nades can appear to explode right by an opponent only to do zero damage, or to explode at a safe distance only to blow you to kingdom come.
Thanks given by:
Aaah. Halo and I encountered a problem when playing through a window on a map YesWeCamp made. I was able to throw a grenade between the clips on the fence rail (Used within the window.) Halo would see it bounce back towards my direction. He got gibbed, and I didn't take any damage. The same happened when we swapped positions.
Thanks given by:
lolwut
Thanks given by:
Rounding error, I assume. Your client determines where someone else's shot is going by looking at the shot vector. Normally, this is floating-point, but it is converted to an integer for sending it over the network. So, if the vector is a little off after being converted back, the grenade goes slightly in the wrong direction.
Thanks given by:
That is more robbery than this

but, i dont think i have ever has this problem.
Thanks given by:
I've been in the middle of a grenade explosion and taken 0 damage on many occasions
Thanks given by:
I actually am trying to practice taking zero-little damage from nades. I call it "nadehopping". It seems to work best if it explodes behind you and as you are in the air.

Then again, I can't download jamz's file at the moment; I am busy at the moment.
Thanks given by:
(06 Jun 12, 12:25AM)Vermi Wrote: I've been in the middle of a grenade explosion and taken 0 damage on many occasions
And I've chucked nades no where near people and got gibs :>
Thanks given by:
Cemer didnt you quit O.o?
Need to play some crouch only hs KTF with ya!
Or if you are practicing with nades, KTF !!!LSS Minimap BraZil only nades would do the work!
/ontopic
THIS O.o
THIS + LAG 8-#
THIS + jamz XD (nice explanation)
Thanks given by:
Where is that video of the mario kill with the grenade?

Jumping on someones head kills them. It was on ac_power.
Thanks given by:
What vermi said, also when i throw nades my client is way off key and gibs that should have happen only result in like 20ish damage
Thanks given by:
(07 Jun 12, 02:57AM)lucky Wrote: What vermi said, also when i throw nades my client is way off key and gibs that should have happen only result in like 20ish damage

This happens lots too.

Also there was a demo of Xenon chucking a nade and gibbing someone when according to both players the grenade was not close to them. Also the grenade wasn't close to Xenon's opponent even in the demo which is the server's perspective.

Predictably to those who know me I think this needs clearing up.

And it still happens (but is less common) with low ping players.
Thanks given by:
[Image: 3a15ca1c-92c5-494a-8713-a751ba93aab9.jpg]

Brb, BL'ing that guy \:D
Thanks given by:
jamz is trying to cleverly hide the fact that your grenades actually kill you unexpectedly because the game hates you. Everyone knows thaaat...

Nice try jamz, almost had me fooled!
Thanks given by:

Exactly the same bug.
Thanks given by:
(08 Jun 12, 04:04PM).ExodusS* Wrote: Exactly the same bug.
Except my superior video has flame transistions, multiple angles and text overlay. :P
Thanks given by: