Server runs fine for ages, then my internet connection fails. Why?
Hey there, you may know that I now host a server on AssaultCube. I forwarded the ports correctly, both in Windows Firewall and in my router firewall, and everyone connects and they can play atleast two games perfectly, but then all of a sudden in the middle of the game I lose my internet and I have to reset the router in order to get it back. I went back to the router settings this time and I changed the trigger protocol from tcp to udp, to see if that would fix the problem, should it fix it? Thanks to all those who help - Tom.
Thanks given by:
The AC server uses UDP, yes, so I'm amazed it was even working if you had it set to forward TCP only. Is the connection to the computer running the server wired or wireless?
Thanks given by:
jamz you make me hot for teacher. :)
Thanks given by:
The connection is wireless, I have a router.
Thanks given by:
The easy answer is that if you choose to use wireless, stuff like this is going to happen. You can, however, do some things to help prevent it. One simple thing to try is to change the channel your wireless network broadcasts on (try 1, 6, or 11). Consider also possible sources of radio interference. Does the connection failure coincide with the operation of, say, a cordless phone or a microwave oven?

You might also want to check the router config and see if there's a way to enable logging (something about 'debug' would be helpful).

If all else fails, remember that running cable is 100% effective in resolving wireless networking issues.
Thanks given by:
Well I do have a microwave but it wasn't running at the time, and as far as the cordless phone goes it actually is supposed to be compatible with the router (my router is a BT Home Hub 2.0) and the only reason why I have to reset my router is when I play the game and everyone else plays the game on my server for a while. But I'm sure that plenty of people run a server fine using a router? :S
Thanks given by:
The one thing I found that solves 93% of wireless problems is an ethernet cable. The other 7% would be mobile industrial equipment like forklifts with scanners for inventory management and a cable just doesn't work well for that. But why put a server there in the first place? Buy a cable and use it, just make sure its under 100m in length (most are way sorter than this).
Thanks given by:
There are a couple of trials you can do to try to pinpoint the problem.

First, if you can run Ethernet cable to the PC running the server, instead of using wireless, do that. Let some games be played and see if the problem can be reproduced on an Ethernet connection. If not, then the issue is specific to the wireless connection. The solution is to not use wireless. I think it is poor service to use something unstable like WiFi for a server anyway.

If that's inconclusive, then disconnect any Ethernet cables connecting other computers or other devices to the BT Hub. If there are any other wireless clients, disconnect them as well. I recommend just disabling wireless in the Hub temporarily to be sure. Then power cycle the Hub by disconnecting the power for a full minute, then reconnecting it. Once your internet connection comes back up, get some games going on the server and see what happens.

If it works in that case, then maybe some other device is causing the problem somehow. I can't say exactly what it might be, but it would be useful to see how this goes.

And I guess I should say running cable is 100% effective in resolving residential WLAN issues. :P
Thanks given by:
Thank you lads, I'll try that and if the wired connection cures the problem I will label this thread as resolved, happy shooting! :)
Thanks given by:
I found that someone nearby with a router on the same channel can cause the wireless to dropout. Try changing to another wireless channel in the router or get wireless scanner software.

http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/
Thanks given by:
Thanks, but I don't know how to change the channel on my router.
Thanks given by:
Just look around where you did the general wireless settings and it should be there somewhere, or just go through every page. :P
Thanks given by: