Ferric is rusting, do you have a de-ruster?
No, it also requires disk access for logs, and calls fflush after every line. fflush isn't fsync though, and even in a datacenter with a dedicated storage server rather than disks right in the machines, I can't see how that could block for a whole second. Also, there's no measurable delay between writes before and after the spikes. Massive IO delays can of course happen, e.g. on the first access after some inactivity, but that's clearly not the case here.
Thanks given by:
(20 Apr 12, 12:21PM)tempest Wrote: ...what's this?
Quote:Apr 15 14:40:19: 2 unarmed RVSF 0 202 9 8 1 144 normal xx.xxx.xx.xxx
Apr 15 14:41:13: 4 |AOD|FireFox. CLA 2 270 12 3 0 130 normal xx.xxx.xx.xxx
and
Quote:Apr 16 14:42:23: 0 TheEveMe CLA 0 94 9 18 0 147 normal xxx.xx.xxx.xx
Apr 16 14:42:53: 1 unarmed RVSF 0 44 5 9 1 163 normal xxx.xx.xxx.xx
...almost a second between iterations...
That's twice you've mentioned '...a second...' now. You realise that's seconds you've highlighted? The first log stalls for 54 seconds, the second for 30.
Thanks given by:
oh yeah, 'logline'. But that's been around since r4449, why would it break _now_ (provided it did). changes in some library? I wonder if any of you devs rebuilt 1104 with more recent gcc, would this issue magically be "fixed".
Thanks given by:
Er... nice fail there :D I guess I had to deal too much with milliseconds and microseconds recently.
Well, but that makes it much more obvious, and also easily explains the disconnects - no wonder people time out after half a minute.
Still no explanation for that timeout though, but the fact that it's almost a minute pretty much rules out all kinds of issues, from the scheduler spazzing out to disk latency. Well, not really, but that kind of stuff would have been noticed already. I'm fairly certain this is not a bug in AC - the only way it could stall for such a long time would be an infinite loop, and then it'd stall forever :P
You can never be sure though, so I'd like to get some more information from the people affected by this and try to find some patterns. For example, does this only happen on virtualized systems? Does it happens on systems other than CentOS and Ubuntu? On Windows? Is this actually with file logging enabled, or syslog, or both? Etc. etc.
Thanks given by:
I haven't been clear on if you have a choice on linux (I always assumed you did), but this is using syslogs, you know the rest of the server specs in my first post.
Thanks given by:
I don't know if and when syslog() blocks. Are you logging to a local destination, or via network?
Thanks given by:
Local destination.
Thanks given by:
I'm going to bump this as I just recompiled.

Our four servers are back online.
Post here if it explodes on you. We will say sorry and hang our heads.
Thanks given by:
I removed the -iferric.tk line.

I have a feeling that even though I have two IPs on that server that I didn't need the -i line and it was screwing things up. I guess I didn't know what I was doing. Waiting on confirmation that this worked, however after removing it in I haven't got any complaints. Either it worked or people stopped using it.
Thanks given by:
servercmdline.txt Wrote:// don't use these switches, unless you really know what you're doing:
Thanks given by:
(12 Jul 12, 10:58PM)Ronald_Reagan Wrote: [...]I guess I didn't know what I was doing. Waiting on confirmation that this worked[...]
Thanks given by:
Doesn't seem to have worked.
Thanks given by:
Try disabling public demo downloads, that caused lag for my servers when someone would go to download a demo. Also, maybe its the vps host.
Thanks given by:
(16 Jul 12, 09:11PM)Jg99 Wrote: Try disabling public demo downloads, that caused lag for my servers when someone would go to download a demo. Also, maybe its the vps host.

so pro ^ public demo dls dont happen that often
Thanks given by:
it was probably when demos got copied
Thanks given by:
(19 Jul 12, 06:06AM)Jg99 Wrote: it was probably when demos got copied
Except it would happen mid-game...
Thanks given by:
Demos don't get copied, they get saved directly to the folder read by apache.

In case you were wondering, no, apache does not see the server folder.
Thanks given by: