why no accounts?
why is there no account system in this game? just because it's quicker to type in a nickname? I was thinking if accounts from an email address are banned, it is not only much more effective than blacklisting a nickname but causes much less trouble than ip bans and in particular range bans. Yes ofcourse a person could just make another email address and account, in which case to my knowledge banning ips is the only way to stop them playing, but it would deter them somewhat.
Thanks given by:
Register unarmed :). This has been suggested before Ill find it one sec.
Thanks given by:
If commands prefixed with "!" or some other character can be sent to the server without being displayed in the chat it would likely be possible to create a simple, weak verification system. The player enters "!mysecretid", the server checks against a list of known ids and users, and sends a public message to all users confirming the player's legitimacy.

Problem is the same player sending the command could be running the server. They could edit their list to allow them to credibly impersonate other players by using false ids.

I don't know if we'll ever have an account system. If we do it'll likely have a centralized list of users and would probably have to be closed source(Servers are already closed source aren't they?).

That being said, I think the ability to send simple commands to the server to execute scripts should and will be put in at some point.
Thanks given by:
http://forum.cubers.net/thread-2002.html
http://forum.cubers.net/thread-5082.html
Thanks given by:
Any system placed will not work at some point. Ask RealViking. IP bans are easy to get around (Or so it seems)
Thanks given by:
But individual passwords assigned to a name cant be bypassed that easily, right?
The downside is that it needs human verification, IMO.
For the "unarmed" thing, the game could connect them with a generic password. There, IP bans would apply.
So, you can play as unarmed, or use the login system.
Thanks given by:
An auth system much like Sauer's is already in place in AC. However, afaik the only person who really knows how to use it is flowtron. I did have one or two conversations about how he planned on implementing it though.
Thanks given by:
The master server should be expanded to include not just the server login but centralized logins. A lot of frustration in AssaultCube would go away with it. If the server hosting the master server can't support increased traffic with logins, we can fix that as a community.
Thanks given by:
You have to separate two goals here:
1) Uniquely identify an account: quite easy, just the usual login system. This can be used e.g. for ladders.
2) Actually identify a player by their account: This could be used for banning, but it's impossible to ensure that one person can only get one account
Thanks given by:
no need if you can ban all accounts linked to an email or am i completely wrong about this technical stuff again
Thanks given by:
Well, of course you can do that, but you can't prevent <person> from getting a new email address, register a new account and carry on.
Thanks given by:
Yeah, it won't stop hackers and whatnot (though it is an extra complication for them) but it would be a solution to impersonation, and could be used to track achievements and other things (which is another deterrent to cheaters).
Thanks given by:
why to waste time with account system if you can do a bit data mining with logs and you get what you want :P
Thanks given by:
Frankly I consider impersonation the sincerest form of flattery :)
Thanks given by:
(09 Apr 12, 11:03PM)Lantry Wrote: Yeah, it won't stop hackers and whatnot (though it is an extra complication for them) but it would be a solution to impersonation, and could be used to track achievements and other things (which is another deterrent to cheaters).
Quote:Preventing players from cheating is important. Detecting when players cheat is possibly even more important. A common strategy is once cheaters are detected to let them keep playing for a few weeks. Then you drop the banhammer on thousands of players at once. From that point on players will hesitate before cheating because the player will never know if the dev knows.
Thousands!
Thanks given by:
Hell, couldnt the game be linked to mac addresses?
Thanks given by:
(12 Apr 12, 04:31PM)paulmuaddibKA Wrote: Hell, couldnt the game be linked to mac addresses?

No, because the Internet works differently from the way you seem to imagine.
Thanks given by:
To clarify mac addresses can be spoofed. Arguably it's easier than getting a new ip.
Thanks given by:
Im all for an account system. It would add an extra hoop for banned users to jump through in-order to play again, each time. It would also prevent aliasing as long as the server's account data is encrypted. Or better, AC or the masterserver handles accounts and individual servers pull information from there. This way registering on individual servers isn't necessary..

One issue is the trolls registering all our accounts before we get a chance to. Only way around that would to initially make the whole accounts thing where each forum user here would apply and be approved manually. ofc this would be more work and an annoyance for devs..
Thanks given by:
I know a friend that made his server have accounts, and it protects your name.
Thanks given by:
(12 Apr 12, 07:33PM)SKB Wrote:
(12 Apr 12, 04:31PM)paulmuaddibKA Wrote: Hell, couldnt the game be linked to mac addresses?

IPv6 addresses, where the host identifier is part of the address itself would allow this to happen. Now, IPv6 is the future, therefore CIDR notation has been introduced. It concatenates the IP with the network prefix mask in one bit - identifying a host on the subnet - using a backslash; and this is used today.

Instead of cockily dismissing, you should use the imagination of the inexperienced to progress, (sk)bitch.
Thanks given by:
LOL
Thanks given by:
(13 Apr 12, 09:27PM)SiL3nT Wrote:
(12 Apr 12, 07:33PM)SKB Wrote:

IPv6 addresses, where the host identifier is part of the address itself would allow this to happen. Now, IPv6 is the future, therefore CIDR notation has been introduced. It concatenates the IP with the network prefix mask in one bit - identifying a host on the subnet - using a backslash; and this is used today.

Instead of cockily dismissing, you should use the imagination of the inexperienced to progress, (sk)bitch.
Those words strike me as an more intelligent approach to the discussion than SKB´s, therefore I congratulate you on your almost excellent choice and matter of communication, except for the bitch part, XD.
@SKB, Id be delighted to hear your insights on how I imagine the internet works, if you please...
(Actually, I couldnt care less, I ask just for the lulz of it.)
Thanks given by:
(13 Apr 12, 09:27PM)SiL3nT Wrote: IPv6 addresses, where the host identifier is part of the address itself would allow this to happen. Now, IPv6 is the future, therefore CIDR notation has been introduced. It concatenates the IP with the network prefix mask in one bit - identifying a host on the subnet - using a backslash; and this is used today.

But since it's possible to change the MAC address of many network cards or routers this wouldn't help, would it?
Thanks given by:
Quite frankly, I think having to work with accounts is more of a pain in the ass than anything.

Only thing it'd stop is impersonation, but I'm sure that's been said before.
Thanks given by:
(14 Apr 12, 03:08AM)Roflcopter Wrote:
(13 Apr 12, 09:27PM)SiL3nT Wrote: IPv6 addresses, where the host identifier is part of the address itself would allow this to happen. Now, IPv6 is the future, therefore CIDR notation has been introduced. It concatenates the IP with the network prefix mask in one bit - identifying a host on the subnet - using a backslash; and this is used today.

But since it's possible to change the MAC address of many network cards or routers this wouldn't help, would it?

That is true, that's why I referred to it as a host identifier. But this is all talking about the future of IP.

CIDR notation would show the network prefix mask (derived from a net or subnet address) by counting the number of bits e.g. /26. I haven't seen these modified as they are set to correspond to the class of the network.

This would identify subnets, meaning that two hosts on the same network with internal ips handed out by DHCP would be recognized as one.

Nonetheless, I wanted to state that hosts can be identified on the Internet, however I don't advise this procedure.
Thanks given by:

1) Did you ever hear of privacy extensions?
2) What does CIDR notation have to do with this? That's nothing new, it has been used with IPv4 addresses for ages - as anyone following the blacklist thread or maintaining a server would probably know.
3) How is this even relevant at all, given the fact that AC doesn't even have IPv6 support yet?

(14 Apr 12, 08:23AM)SiL3nT Wrote: This would identify subnets, meaning that two hosts on the same network with internal ips handed out by DHCP would be recognized as one.
That's not really related to DHCP. What you're talking about is an inherent problem (but also an important feature) of NAT.
Thanks given by:
I hear SVN has a PM system. Use this for login and theres one problem solved :)
Thanks given by: