AC.pwnz.org servers better than ever.
Hi, guys.

I've been running a couple of servers, formerly at osok.pwnz.org and ctf.pwnz.org, for a while and, while I've done my best to give their users a smooth and fun experience, I was hindered by the fact that I shared a box with the owner of the hardware, and his Java and MySQL processes would often cause lag spikes.

We've moved to a new colo and I'm finally able to have a VPS -- that means my resources are all mine; lag spikes should be a thing of the past.

Here are some specs:

[asscube@cubic ~]$ cat /etc/issue ; uname -a ; grep MemTotal /proc/meminfo ; grep name /proc/cpuinfo
Arch Linux \r (\l)

Linux cubic 3.2.14-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Apr 3 17:07:25 UTC 2012 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3930K CPU @ 3.20GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
MemTotal:        4053808 kB
model name      : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3930K CPU @ 3.20GHz
model name      : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3930K CPU @ 3.20GHz

I don't know what I'm going to do with all that, really.

The servers currently are as follows:

T/OSOK 16-slot
ac.pwnz.org (108.166.173.92) port 2020

CTF/HTF/KTF 14-slot
ac.pwnz.org (108.166.173.92) port 2525

I have 40Mb/s, burstable to 100Mb/s, so those of you reasonably close to the server should have a fine connection. The server is now located in Dallas, TX (was Phoenix, AZ).

I'm new to virtual servers, so I'm still researching ways to overcome any latency that the virtualization layer may introduce. If anyone has suggestions, or wishes simply to report what seems like unreasonable latency, it would be greatly appreciated.

Now, this is really all about you guys. What do you want in a server? Do you prefer a change in client slots? Maprot? Want servers for other purposes as well? (Match servers with votable mastermode? Do we have enough of those already?) Post here or PM me here or on IRC. I want these to be some of the best damn servers the community has ever seen, and you're the one who decides what makes them so.

Thanks all, GL&HF.
Thanks given by:
Great news, I hope you achieve your goals!
Quote: I want this to be one of the best damn few servers the community has seen, and you're the one who decides what makes them so.
I would say make a 24/7 gema server with !cmds commands and an admin to be present at all times, but this answer is a generic one in response to the quoted text, XD.
Thanks given by:
I don't play gema so I'm not too familiar with that side of AC. Are there not a good number of 24/7 gema servers? What would the !commands do?
Thanks given by:
XD, you should come visit the Dark side more often, we have tremendous gifts and joy is everywhere!
Gema Talk...
Thanks given by:
Hey,

We should try and put one or two of these on the TyD ladder.

What do you think? :)
Thanks given by:
I know many people are very interested in getting great American match servers. See this post for how to apply hit-reg fixes.
Thanks given by:
Cool, I'll search the forum later for more stuff about Gema and see what I can come up with.

(08 Apr 12, 06:47PM)pwnage{TyD} Wrote: Hey,

We should try and put one or two of these on the TyD ladder.

What do you think? :)

That sounds nice. I wanted to join some other ladder before, but the box I was on didn't have PHP (and I didn't have root to install it). Of course, now I can do whatever necessary for this. Are there any specific qualities/configuration that you look for in a TyD ladder server?

(08 Apr 12, 06:54PM)Roflcopter Wrote: I know many people are very interested in getting great American match servers. See this post for how to apply hit-reg fixes.

Sweet, didn't know I could do that. Do you think that hitreg should be patched on all servers or just match servers? Do you think the sacrifice of anticheat is acceptable?

Thanks
Thanks given by:
Or put it on SKB's AC Stats :)
Thanks given by:
jack.is told me he might be able to get me a vps with the same guy, and i will be happy to run a tyd ladder server pwnage.
Thanks given by:
All you need is syslog or some sort of other automatic way to transfer logs from your machine to my server.
Thanks given by:
i know how to log to nohup.out (its a log, i used it when i used to have a vps)
Thanks given by:
(08 Apr 12, 07:35PM)Jack Wrote: That sounds nice. I wanted to join some other ladder before, but the box I was on didn't have PHP (and I didn't have root to install it). Of course, now I can do whatever necessary for this. Are there any specific qualities/configuration that you look for in a TyD ladder server?

Thanks
Send me a PM if you're interested. My requirements here -> http://forum.tearyoudown.com/showthread.php?tid=1718
Thanks given by:
(08 Apr 12, 07:35PM)Jack Wrote:
(08 Apr 12, 06:54PM)Roflcopter Wrote: I know many people are very interested in getting great American match servers. See this post for how to apply hit-reg fixes.

Sweet, didn't know I could do that. Do you think that hitreg should be patched on all servers or just match servers? Do you think the sacrifice of anticheat is acceptable?

Of course cheating is a big problem in AC. But without hit-reg fixes the disparity is so stark that you certainly have no chance of a fair match. Some players are getting more than 40% of their bullets dropped while some get absolutely no drops at all. Without hit-fixes you can't have a remotely fair match, with hit-fixes you only risk allowing a cheater to ruin the match -- it's no longer certainty.

Also, the anticheat really only stops rather obvious cheats. Wallhacks, radar hacks, crosshair hacks and ESP hacks are completely undetectable already. If you'd like though, I can provide you with code that identifies some known cheat clients and blocks them from playing. I've already started incorporating some basic cheat client detection stuff into the uk.myys.tk servers.
Thanks given by:
Yeah, that sounds good. I've got other projects distracting me as well, but I'll get back to you and Paul at some point about this stuff.
Thanks given by: