Requiem for AC
The title explains it all....
AC is dead imho. Not in the closest meaning of the word (fortunately development still goes on) but the community itself, the 'environment', everything is dead to me... The only thing that goes on is that bunch of crap in this section (meme's thread, quotes thread) but nothing, nothing else... I remember of a load of new mods every week, of every kind by many users (protox, Boeufmironton, etc..), now I only see some new maps, and no big changes to care about... 52 pages of ideas and still 1104...as I said before, dev is not dead but I remember things were different when Brahma used to be active... I used to enjoy making a new map, just by seeing the atmosphere in here, same for mods... Now I look at all of this and I ask myself 'is it worthy enough?'
I don't really know what determined this, maybe the big wave of new players whose average age is about 10-12, but I just have a strong nostalgia of the old old old times....
R.I.P. AC's golden era :'(

for "tl:dr'ers": this new era sucks, bring back the old atmosphere...
Thanks given by:
When is this so called 'Golden era'?
some say its .93 have heard other say it just pre 1.1.
Thanks given by:
It was 1.0.4. That was a golden time. However I disagree with the idea that AC is dead. I might be a crazy bastard but the game has a lot of life left in it. You just gotta find it. Either way I'll do what I can to keep the halls of AC brimming with yonder tankards of frothy ale. As for all the preteens just wait till I get back in game... We'll wipe the floor with their faces!
.93 was the true Era of Awesomeness. 1.0.4 was the expansion of beastly .93 into liquid gold.
Thanks given by:
/offtopic If you guys keep posting tl:dr resumes you´ll only encourage people not to read...
and that is WONRG! XD
/ontopic If its dead, why does it move?
[Image: B7WIpl.png]
No, its a joke, I kinda get what you are trying to say, but maybe its you who is growing up and who is losing interest in tha game?
Has the game changed or is it you getting used to it?
Would a new release insufflate new positive energies in you?
XD , I am here to help!
Thanks given by:
Well, I might rather change the TL;DR to "AC needs more content and/or content creators, and less bullcaca." ^_^

But I do agree that some of the offtopic (or less-productive) threads should be getting less attention they've been getting in the recent. (not to say I've been helping with that at all.)

Ironically, I liked it when new maps took a while to be released, particularly because they were usually really good and worth waiting for. Ditto for mods.
Thanks given by:
(03 Apr 12, 06:57PM)VenteX Wrote: Ditto for mods.
u mean that transforming Pokémon ?
Thanks given by:
http://m.dictionary.com/d/?q=ditto&o=0&l=dir

No.
Thanks given by:
Dementium4ever's lost files are coming soon (A bunch of weapons, that I produced, but were never released) ;)
Thanks given by:
What paul said. :3
Thanks given by:
[Image: 20110731.gif]
Thanks given by:
I'd say the community started to phase out around December 2010/January 2011. I think the 'golden era' would be before that... more specifically before the introduction of the new forums (not the deletion of Vanilla but when we had that AC forum outage in like May 2010).
Thanks given by:
Its all a matter of perspective. As long as I can find fun pubs, inters, and matches the game is absolutely perfect for me.

I'm not much for the whole community aspect of the game, I'm not very active on the forums, not interested in mods or mapping. I just want to play and as long as there are people to play with who are generally skilled, and matches/inters to be had this community will feel the same to me.
Thanks given by:
Eh I agree.

I remember when I would always see people asking for matches, IRC, in game and such. Now the bulk of games seem to be coming from the tournaments.
Thanks given by:
(04 Apr 12, 01:33AM)Ronald_Reagan Wrote: Eh I agree.

I remember when I would always see people asking for matches, IRC, in game and such. Now the bulk of games seem to be coming from the tournaments.

Really? I have to keep rethinking and remaking alias names because I'm sick of being constantly harassed for matches. I mean it isn't in the frequency it was 2 years ago but still it is a great deal. The decline I see isn't overly huge.

I will agree that the overall quality of matches unless you specifically look for great players or clans is dwindling. I find myself being invited to inters expecting a higher level of play than is presented. Then again, newer or less seasoned players need to learn some where.

It has a lot to do with timezones too, if I get on AC in the early morning on the weekend I unusually see a lot of matches, inters, and really good pubs on the go. I consider this the peak playing time of AC PB (for quality) 4am to about 8am my time on Saturdays and Sundays. The general week seems to hold less quality, but around 6-8 pm my time you can still catch a good inter or match... sometimes even a high quality pub.
Thanks given by:
andrez, i think it's the fact that everyone here, you included, has a life they need to fulfill. i think we should be kinda proud to be games that dont game every waking moment :)
Thanks given by:
(03 Apr 12, 06:43PM)MorganKell Wrote: .93 was the true Era of Awesomeness. 1.0.4 was the expansion of beastly .93 into liquid gold.
Word! Maybe few guys like you, Undead, Apollo and so on can really understand what I'm walking about...

(03 Apr 12, 06:53PM)paulmuaddibKA Wrote: No, its a joke, I kinda get what you are trying to say, but maybe its you who is growing up and who is losing interest in tha game?
Has the game changed or is it you getting used to it?
Would a new release insufflate new positive energies in you?
XD , I am here to help!
It may be too, but I can't explain what made this change possible. The game itself is basicly the same, it's just everything that sorrounds it that changed in a way that I'm not able to like...

(03 Apr 12, 09:53PM)spamma Wrote: I'd say the community started to phase out around December 2010/January 2011. I think the 'golden era' would be before that... more specifically before the introduction of the new forums (not the deletion of Vanilla but when we had that AC forum outage in like May 2010).
As MKell said, the golden era was .93, while later it just turned out to be a...'silver era'? :D
Not the same though...

(04 Apr 12, 03:28AM)MerCyKiL Wrote: [...] i think we should be kinda proud to be games that dont game every waking moment :)
I don't really understand this bit, but now and before I have and had a (private? Real?) life and I don't think it's about this... :/
Thanks given by:
(03 Apr 12, 05:25PM)Andrez Wrote: AC is dead imho.

it is as alive as you want it to be.
everyone has their own preferred period of AC, but i enjoyed 0.93, enjoyed 1.0, and am enjoying 1.1. anyone who gives preference to one period over another couldn't adapt their play style to play as well as they could in the previous version, or was stuck in an immature rut(a prime example of this is drakas).
what has changed however is: the disappearance of key developers, leaving the development of the game stagnated because the people chosen to replace them simply do not care enough. i am sure they do care, but does a babysitter have the same care for a child as the parents?
however the players are still there in the game, and the players are still continuing to play matches, play tournaments, play pubs, make maps(well, not really), and the game is still going as well as its ever been, but by now i believe the game could have took a very sharp upward turn in popularity if it was developed further and directed properly. if you want AC to improve, and enter a new era, you'll need the devs to improve first.
p.s i really dislike you and people similar to you because you think retarded advice dog ripoffs are funny.

(04 Apr 12, 03:09AM)Woolly Wrote: Really? I have to keep rethinking and remaking alias names because I'm sick of being constantly harassed for matches.

why don't you try to play a match for once?
Thanks given by:
(03 Apr 12, 06:43PM)MorganKell Wrote: It was 1.0.4. That was a golden time. However I disagree with the idea that AC is dead. I might be a crazy bastard but the game has a lot of life left in it. You just gotta find it. ...

f1 all the way :)
Thanks given by:
(04 Apr 12, 11:29AM)Undead Wrote:

everyone has their own preferred period of AC, but i enjoyed 0.93, enjoyed 1.0, and am enjoying 1.1. anyone who gives preference to one period over another couldn't adapt their play style to play as well as they could in the previous version, or was stuck in an immature rut(a prime example of this is drakas).
what has changed however is: the disappearance of key developers, leaving the development of the game stagnated because the people chosen to replace them simply do not care enough. i am sure they do care, but does a babysitter have the same care for a child as the parents?
however the players are still there in the game, and the players are still continuing to play matches, play tournaments, play pubs, make maps(well, not really), and the game is still going as well as its ever been, but by now i believe the game could have took a very sharp upward turn in popularity if it was developed further and directed properly. if you want AC to improve, and enter a new era, you'll need the devs to improve first.
p.s i really dislike you and people similar to you because you think retarded advice dog ripoffs are funny.

This is well put and pretty much how I view it.

(04 Apr 12, 03:09AM)Woolly Wrote: Really? I have to keep rethinking and remaking alias names because I'm sick of being constantly harassed for matches.

why don't you try to play a match for once?
[/quote]

I do, all the time. I've even gotten the other TyDs matching again (finally). They still don't do it often, but a few a week is definitely an improvement over none for months at a time. Due to time issues, I end up not being able to play with them a lot so I end up in late night (for me) interclans and as a fill in guy for matches which end up turning into inters due to people leaving for whatever reason.
Thanks given by:
(04 Apr 12, 11:29AM)Undead Wrote:

I think I was clear enough in the first post when I said that the game itself is not dead, but the community, the atmosphere around it is. You should know how much things were different before, and the game itself can't adapt to development, it doesn't breathe, it doesn't live, but devs must be adapted to what a new game should be. See, driAn left, Brahma came, now Brahma, wherever he is or whatever he's doing (real life comes first of course, nothing to complain here because he's just done just a perfect job) seems to be gone, so a dev should take all of this on his hands and keep this further and further. You're right though, players are still here, yes, PLAYERS.

Quote:p.s i really dislike you and people similar to you because you think retarded advice dog ripoffs are funny.
Lol, would you explain what does this mean? I don't dislike you though, Chris :3
Thanks given by:
People after their long day wanna be free, 1.0 version was about that lost control and was the best for AC, you can see i was a whiner but i had true :/ The game can be excellent although the players don't know who is makke or mr.floppy ...

next from diplomatic view i would say the game isn't dead, the game is just other ...
Thanks given by:
I think we need a completely new development team.
A team, which actually does something.

(Cleaner, are you here?) :'D
Thanks given by:
(04 Apr 12, 06:06PM)Dementium4ever Wrote: I think we need a completely new development team.

Thats a bit too bold of a statement, for the few devs who are working hard still.
Thanks given by:
(04 Apr 12, 06:28PM)Nightmare Wrote:
(04 Apr 12, 06:06PM)Dementium4ever Wrote: I think we need a completely new development team.

Thats a bit too bold of a statement, for the few devs who are working hard still.

Oh yes, you're right. Sorry Devs :D
But we need some fresh air for this projekt..
Thanks given by:
Can we get a definitive list of what needs to be finished? There are lots of new features and bugfixes in the beta and it works fin why is the final version not released yet. I know testing and stuff has to be done but would be cool if we could actually see whats left to finish.
Thanks given by:
  • Balance is kind of stuck
  • Anti-cheat
  • The demo tutorial is broken
That's it, basically. Yeah, and testing ofc.
But you are all more than welcome to get the SVN version, have a look, test things etc.
svn co https://actiongame.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/actiongame/trunk/ac assaultcube-svn
Thanks given by:
Thanks tempest! Ill try fix the demo it dosen't sound too hard.
Edit: I cant figure out this damn SVN thing. I have TortiseSVN and when I put in https://actiongame.svn.sourceforge.net/s...e/trunk/ac into Import it asks for user and pass...
Thanks given by:
(04 Apr 12, 07:12PM)D1551D3N7 Wrote: Ill try fix the demo it dosen't sound too hard.
Well, it is. Tbh, I think the game has changed too much to just fix it, so it would need to be redone with the new version.

(04 Apr 12, 07:12PM)D1551D3N7 Wrote: Edit: I cant figure out this damn SVN thing. I have TortiseSVN and when I put in https://actiongame.svn.sourceforge.net/s...e/trunk/ac into Import it asks for user and pass...
Weird, that shouldn't happen if you're just doing a checkout. What if you just leave the inputs empty and hit "ok" or whatever?
Thanks given by:
Oh I went to import instead of checkout. Works now thanks..
Thanks given by:
For the balance:

Why don't we make some kind of RR (Review-Rounds?
50 of the most experienced Assault Cubers test the balance of 1.2.
Then you collect their reports, and fix the balance. When something is unclear, make a discussion about it here, on the Assault-Cube forums.

After fixing, we're going to RR No. 2.
Doing the same again.

Repeat it a few times, and finally make a big test with everybody, maybe make smaller changes----> Profit?

Well, just a short idea, that popped into my Scumbag Brain ;)
Thanks given by: