Poll: CTF in 1vs1
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
I agree
36.11%
13 36.11%
I disagree
58.33%
21 58.33%
No opinion
5.56%
2 5.56%
Total 36 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

CTF in 1vs1
Hey

What do you think about 1vs1 in CTF?

Many players prefer playing DM ac_desert which is for me an annoying overplayed small map where you spend most of your time looking for your enemy position who is camping like a [strike]bitch[/strike] boss and pick up whoring or spawn killing in the CLA base behind the box near of the window.

Some players voted against me a CTF map in 1vs1 like depot, desert3, gothic, douze... and I had so much fun. But some people dislike 1vs1 in CTF and some other consider that as a noob vote so what do you think about that?
Thanks given by:
if you can vote it you can play it, nothing people says will change that.

have fun playing the modes you like, i personally like pistol frenzy but i doubt someone find it fun asides of a few.
Thanks given by:
If you agree or disagree then vote in the poll because if you dont it wont be an effective poll.

I remember that the first time I played in a 1v1 CTF was the tie against Yoursister in depot (and I obviously lost). The skill difference between us was much more noticeable in CTF than in TDM or DM (was long time ago kk).
Thanks given by:
I played a 1v1 CTF match before. personally i didnt enjoy as much as other games, because A) i SUCKED in that game. and B) and a fragwhore. xD

I have only played 1 CTF 1v1 game though, so i cant really judge.
Thanks given by:
ctf is a team mode, there is no use to use it in a 1v1 context.

(22 Mar 12, 11:27PM)Edward Wrote: The skill difference between us was much more noticeable in CTF than in TDM or DM (was long time ago kk).

dm is in fact the mode of choice if you are aiming to show a difference in skill between two players. (osok, lss, survivor and pistol frenzy are the others, but to a slightly lesser degree.)

Thanks given by:
CTF shows who can move the fastest, while staying alive.
Thanks given by:
(22 Mar 12, 11:36PM)Harps Wrote: dm is in fact the mode of choice if you are aiming to show a difference in skill between two players. (osok, lss, survivor and pistol frenzy are the others, but to a slightly lesser degree.)

i think survivor is the best mode for testing your aiming (mostly effective when both of players uses the same weapon) and awareness. DM is just the whole thing plus pickups strategy + timing. now if you really want to force your opponent to use one weapon and he can't choose anything to play even, then PF is actually a nice idea for aiming.

about the poll, i didn't see the point of voting as i said nothing people think will change you can still vote anything you want, therefore you might try some ways to enhance people to pick those modes, for example: vote it.
Thanks given by:
I like 1v1 CTF A LOT, specially in maps like shine and sunset. It assesses not only frag skill but also tactics.
Thanks given by:
(22 Mar 12, 11:36PM)Harps Wrote: ctf is a team mode, there is no use to use it in a 1v1 context.

This. For fun maybe.

(22 Mar 12, 11:54PM)titiPT Wrote: I like 1v1 CTF A LOT, specially in maps like shine and sunset. It assesses not only frag skill but also tactics.

wat. No, it assesses fragging, running back to your base, and fragging again.
Thanks given by:
I've played a 1v1 CTF game once before in a match on ac_shine. It was intense but also kind of pointless at the same time, because 2 players of the same skill level will just capture a flag and score and then the other will capture and score and it will keep going back and forth like that.

But I have to agree that if you can vote it, why not play it at least once?
Thanks given by:
A match with 2 players of the same skill level will be pointless whatever the mode is I bet....

But why CTF would be compulsorily a team mode? I mean you do not need to be 2 to capture a flag and score it.

When you are attacking one side of the map in match, you have to face the player attacking by this side too. Only one thing change, there cant be any teamwork to help you (because it is a 1vs1).
Thanks given by:
it depends on the map. i personally like 1v1 ctf.
Thanks given by:
(22 Mar 12, 11:54PM)titiPT Wrote: I like 1v1 CTF A LOT, specially in maps like shine and sunset. It assesses not only frag skill but also tactics.

same here, and I agree.

In a 1v1 match where I can't beat someone who has better accuracy, I can sometimes beat them in a 1v1 ctf match by using my knowledge of strategy and map control.

While ctf may be a team game, I find it brings a whole new set of required strategies + gameplay when you play it in a 1v1. Actually quite nerve-wracking/exciting sometimes, but that's just for me.

(Just like how a 3v3 is different from a 2v2 and a 10 v 10?)
Thanks given by:
What tactics?
It's pretty much a DM with flags.
Thanks given by:
(23 Mar 12, 06:43AM)Orynge Wrote: It's pretty much a DM with flags.
You beat me to it.

Oh, my opinion? Meh :)

Thanks given by:
The map had better be pretty small.

It's not going to be so much like team CTF; each player is necessarily on the offense. If you stand around base "guarding" you're just an easier target. I think smart players will rush to kill their opponent first so they have time to snag the flag, or at least sneak to the flag and then get to a good place to meet their enemy on better (less usual) terms.

There would be a lot more frustrating moments in a match like that, but they wouldn't mean it's a bad idea, just that someone isn't doing it right.
Thanks given by:
(23 Mar 12, 12:58AM)Mael Wrote: No, it assesses fragging, running back to your base, and fragging again.

It's more than that. But hey, opinions.
Thanks given by:
arid ctf.
flagrun city
Thanks given by:
Well for me, I only tried playing 1v1 ctf on ac_shine. Maybe douze once but that was disastrous.

Some things that need to be considered in a 1v1 ctf that aren't applicable to 1v1 dm:

-There's a target in ctf: the flag on the other side of the map. It could be a slow progression to that flag. For example, if I fragged my opponent, rushing to their base could be obvious and leave me vulnerable.
And on the flip side, if I got fragged, I need to be cautious of my opponent's location. Should I stick around to defend the flag? Hunt him/her down? Or rush to their flag?

-much like in a 1v1 dm, surprise is a big factor. Listening for sounds as well as mixing up your gameplay (changing routes or weapons... doing something unexpected, doubling back, etc.) can help give you the surprise advantage. The difference in ctf is that you aren't necessarily surprising your opponent by fragging them; it could be a surprise grab at the flag.

-Once one gets the flag, the story changes again. Your opponent will either try to 1) hunt you down, or 2) steal your flag to make things even.

1) If you just fragged the opponent before you stole the flag... you could:
-run back to your base
-get health + armor if it's too risky to run back... and frag the opponent when they spawn
-camp in the opponent's base (:
...depending on the situation. Or just to mix things up.

If your opponent is somewhere on the map when you stole the flag, running back to base could be loud, obvious, and dangerous.
One may think all it's about a frag to decide things at this point (you get fragged ==> flag returns OR opponent gets fragged ==> you score). I think this is not true as you, the flag carrier, have an advantage.

Unless the opponent steals your flag of course, your opponent has to worry about two things: a) you making it back to your base b) getting fragged by you.
I think that's an aspect you don't see in DM.

2) If both sides have the flag, there are a lot of things to consider:
-if he/she is low, I could take a chance and hunt+frag them.
-if not, then I need to get health+armor before he/she can. Much like DM. And I need to do this while watching my back. Perhaps I should use walls/crates/windows/pillars for cover.
-Dropping the flag is something surprising too (though risky). It's best if you know your enemy's location. Drop the flag in an inconspicuous place, and if you know you are either even or less skilled than your opponent, you could a) both die, but you return the flag :D b) you wound your opponent.

And when you respawn, you have the advantage of knowing where you hid the enemy flag. So in situation a), retrieve the flag and you have that flag advantage I described above. In b), you can anticipate that your enemy will search around where you died for their flag... this is a good time to surprise them while they are wounded.

trololol i just read the above >.>
Please pardon my run on sentences and blabbing. I find it a lot easier to explain in game... so

Given that you are around a noobish level like me, I would be happy to 1v1 ctf with you to demo the above :D

#=SA= or sa-clan.tk or PM

inb4 I'll get some tl;dr's

I do get rather carried away s:

thx for reading :P
Thanks given by:
(23 Mar 12, 05:06PM)ShadowFlameZ Wrote: arid ctf.
flagrun city

3 secs ftw.

And personally i dont think CTF in 1v1's are particularly enjoyable. I do agree to a certain extent that there are certain strats and tactics which could be involved, but meh. Rather play dm or surv.

Thanks given by:
What about Gothic. You could cap a flag there hella quick with AR.
Thanks given by:
I played a lot of 1V1 CTF ac_depot in the past (on the 1.0) and even more against Luc@s on the Paintball mod! :P

It's very interesting to see how your enemy is progressing to your flag and how you will defend it or attack.
I think it's interesting with all weapons but the AR (no flame) :P
Thanks given by:
I've done it, I didn't find it very satisfying.

Thanks given by:
Correct me if I am wrong but it seems that those who voted against CTF in 1vs1 have made this choice according to their personal opinions and feelings.

There is currently in all those previous no objective argument prohibiting voting in 1vs1 CTF.
Thanks to RCJD for his detailed post.

PS : express yourself and have an opinion
Thanks given by:
(24 Mar 12, 03:27AM)Edward Wrote: There is currently in all those previous no objective argument prohibiting voting in 1vs1 CTF.

I think I get where you're going. There are certain map/modes that will make players groan and refuse to play.

Though in a CM, does one have the right to "refuse" if the opponent votes something like LSS douze, TOSOK douze, or PF aqueous?!

Thanks given by:
Nobody is prohibiting you to play it nor can do something like that. Preference for game modes will be always a personal matter. Whatever can be voted is valid when it comes to AC.
I do not like it, to me 1vs1 CTF is nothing more than a DM match where both carry flags. I would not refuse to play it but I can't grasp the sense of it, since there is no defense, cover or any of the likes involved. Is all about: grab the flag, hide and kill your opponent. Pretty much like DM, imo.
Thanks given by:
Well my English is not so good but "prohibiting " is not the right word to express what I think.

I mean my question was not : "do you like CTF 1vs1 or not?" but : "do you think CTF in 1vs 1 can be played?". Is it is a no sense and stupid choice or is this an acceptable choice and interesting choice? Here is the point.
Thanks given by:
I think is totatly acceptable and its not stupid at all. Just not very appealing. Its like I said, its always gonna be a matter of personal choice.
Thanks given by:
Quote:I mean my question was not : "do you like CTF 1vs1 or not?" but : "do you think CTF in 1vs 1 can be played?"
i doubt that those who like to play it think that it's not a good idea. but i know what you mean and as i said before, i think it depends on the map. on open or small maps like arid, gothic or douze it's not that much fun.
Thanks given by:
dm desert is wonderful for 1v1, but yeah, i like playing with flags in 1v1.
A good 1v1 map is KTF sunset, very tactical.
on the other hand, CTF 1v1 is very very boring. Not in gothic or des3, but for sure in depot,,, i remember i played it vs Fearles 2 years ago, no fun at all
Thanks given by: