Number of hitboxes
So i stumbled on this video of the TF2 hitbox renderings and thought "there are LOADS of hitboxes"

I saw a similar video showing the CS:S hitboxes.

I would imagine they do this to make the bullet damage more realistic. But then i thought, how come AC does not have this many hitboxes? and how many does it have currently? 2?
i'm a noob on this subject btw.
Thanks given by:
If I'm correct hitboxes don't only take care of the bullet damage, but also collisions such as against walls and players. I'm not sure about TF2's gameplay but it's probably more graphically-minded than AC, and the amount of hitboxes could be to make the movements and actions of the model more realistic. Also I should add that since in AC it makes no difference if you hit a foot or a hand or the chest there's no need for that many hitboxes.
Thanks given by:
(16 Feb 12, 12:52AM)#M|A#Wolf Wrote: Also I should add that since in AC it makes no difference if you hit a foot or a hand or the chest there's no need for that many hitboxes.

I am curious about this myself -- I realize that sniping someone on the head results in gibs and a "headshot," or an instant kill. However, does hitting the head with any weapon do more damage than simply hitting the body, like in CS?
Thanks given by:
Sniper only does more damage. There is only two hitboxes. One reason why there may be so many is different animations depending on where you hit them. So hitting a hand would make their hand fly off of their weapon, whereas hitting their arm may make them get pushed sideways or whatnot. AC only does exploding bodies and a hurt animation (may not even an animation).
Thanks given by:
in SVN there is an animation sometimes where the player's head snaps back like crazy.
Is that a bug?
Thanks given by:
That's just tourrette's, Nightmare
Thanks given by:
Those head hitboxes are ginormous.
Thanks given by:
(16 Feb 12, 03:17AM)Mai Mee Tur Wrote: That's just tourrette's, Nightmare

* Nightmare actually has Tourette's.
o_e

Animation is pretty weird though. And random.

Thanks given by:
If I recall from reading the TF2 wiki, those hitboxes you see there are only for projectiles.
The game's bullet hitscans use a more precise skin-tight hitbox.
Thanks given by:
(16 Feb 12, 03:30AM)Lantry Wrote: Those head hitboxes are ginormous.

Not as big as halo reach's.

Would there be anything stopping devs adding more hitboxes in future releases for a more realistic experiance?
Thanks given by:
(16 Feb 12, 03:30AM)Lantry Wrote: Those head hitboxes are ginormous.

Ingame they don't feel that big, trust me. Even playing with 5ping (i usually get that ping in the portuguese servers), it feels like the head hitboxes are very small.
Thanks given by:
(16 Feb 12, 04:50PM)MykeGregory Wrote: Would there be anything stopping devs adding more hitboxes in future releases for a more realistic experiance?

* CaptainAhab supports this idea
Thanks given by:
You have consider what effects it has on the game. I am not experienced in this either, but:
- Does it affect framerate?
- Does it affect ping?
- Does it affect gameplay in such a way that weapons would need to be rebalanced? (SMG would be even more of a luck game than it is now)
Thanks given by:
(17 Feb 12, 10:44AM)Orynge Wrote: You have consider what effects it has on the game. I am not experienced in this either, but:
- Does it affect ping?
- Does it affect gameplay in such a way that weapons would need to be rebalanced? (SMG would be even more of a luck game than it is now)

We already spoke about HS with all weapons, i think it was closed with a big "NO".
Thanks given by:
(16 Feb 12, 10:49PM)titiPT Wrote: the head hitboxes are very small.
This is true.

Keyword: very

Thanks given by:
Can you shoot directly through a players legs in ac? And also will ac ever make a damage system where chest equals more damage then feet for example?
Thanks given by:
between the legs will hit them, so you can't shoot through their legs ;)

and
No. Unless jamz brings a new reign of terror and realism.
Thanks given by:
(18 Feb 12, 03:27AM)Nightmare Wrote: No. Unless jamz brings a new reign of terror and realism.

Sooo...
probably?

/:D
Thanks given by:
Idk as long as Ac keeps growing and progressing it will Obviously become more detailed.
Thanks given by:
(18 Feb 12, 04:22AM)ProSmoke Wrote: it will Obviously become more detailed.

"more detailed" don't mean "changed gameplay" even if AC 1.1 is a lot different than AC 0.9 the gameplay is still the "same".
Thanks given by:
(17 Feb 12, 10:44AM)Orynge Wrote: You have consider what effects it has on the game. I am not experienced in this either, but:
- Does it affect ping?

As far as the first two go, the hit-boxes shouldn't have a heavy effect on frame-rate or ping because although they're being re-visited constantly, setting the dimensions of an object doesn't take a very large amount of load.

The weapons wouldn't necessarily have to be rebalanced unless the developers decided to give each hit-box it's own specific damage calc. And if they did decide to chop it up (say hands and feet take AR dmg/x and then legs and arms take AR dmg/y) so long as they kept everything relative, it shouldn't affect the balance very much.

Honestly though, how many times does someone aim for your hands or feet? The occurrences in which small, non-vital, areas are hit are very limited. This mainly occurs when making large motions or during recoil. So honestly, whether they added more hit-boxes or not, it wouldn't break the game.
Thanks given by:
@^ I think that if it was chest being the same and hands and feet doing less damage then the average kill time would go higher unless you have perfect aim. Just because you might be hitting hands while spraying. I think the last thing ac needs is to be one of those games where it takes an hour to kill someone. Not saying this would make it like that.
Thanks given by:
(18 Feb 12, 04:47PM)Wunderkind Wrote: Honestly though, how many times does someone aim for your hands or feet? The occurrences in which small, non-vital, areas are hit are very limited. This mainly occurs when making large motions or during recoil. So honestly, whether they added more hit-boxes or not, it wouldn't break the game.

Headshots are not all lucky. If i can aim vital areas with a carabine to make extra-hits i will.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-GpNtlnIX4
Thanks given by: