(Mapmodels) See-though broken brick window
Don't remember who asked me for this one, sorry.

If you wonder why I've made it this way it's simply to save a huge amount of polys.

Comment and download the See-though broken brick window

[Image: stbw_1_1326301625.png]
Thanks given by:
v63
Looks like the windows at my old school.
Thanks given by:
Very good idea to make it lowpoly.

Even big companys as Infinity Ward use this technique with two layers.
Thanks given by:
Wow! I like this (although I haven't tested it)
Thanks given by:
Well I'm afraid this technique is apparently very fps hungry, see more about it here.
Thanks given by:
Nice Trick.

If you want to do it with real holes, you should try the boolean/boolan operation. Very very helpful to create holes ;)
Thanks given by:
can you shoot through the holes then?
i also had a school with them type of windows. lol
Thanks given by:
Cleaner, have a look at this: testmodel.zip

Sure, this does require quite some time to adjust the skin right, but it for sure is way cheaper on polys and there won't be z-fighting. Though, it looks a little weird on MS3D and I haven't tested it ingame.

Would be nice if somebody will post an ingame-screeny, if he does test the thing. Thanks in advance!

- edit -

One more thing to be added to the technique used on my example model above. It most likely won't work well with advanced light/shadow-systems as it's not a "homogenous" mesh, but two seperate meshes stuck one inanother. Thanks to cube engine's rather simple lighting system it won't be a problem at all. Either enable or disable vertexlighting on the md.cfg, depending on the size of the model and it should be just fine.

By the way, I guess the problem with your "multilayer" technique isn't the z-fighting, but the need to render that texture 96 times in that spot. At least that makes more sense then the z-fighting theory. Maybe it's the both of those.
Thanks given by:
That's what i asked at the start of the mapping contest, but for a different use.
I wonder if this effect could be done for an ice effect on the floor.
It could be so amazing!

[Image: atr3antarctica26.jpg]

Just imagine how i could win a lot of votes for the contest with this ice effect.

jk ;p
Thanks given by:
Is that Tomb Raider? Man... back in the PSX days... B)
Thanks given by:
That snow looks like dandruff.
Thanks given by:
This floor is transparent, so the answer is no in first place. Though you could make a floor model with an ice-texture and some holes in it with water below. Though, in case the holes are rather huge, the clipping needs to be arranged precisely.
Thanks given by:
Just an idea, what if...

Horizontal clip levelled with water and like 10 (more or less) cubes underneath the ice texture.

No time to test that right now, if someone can that'll be cool
Thanks given by:
And then we can add drowning as a way of losing hp. Lul
Thanks given by: