MapModel: SpaceShip [WIP]
This is a mapmodel im working, on, im going to make it anyway, but do you think it would actually work. Its based on the classic ThunderBird 3.

[Image: Thunderbird3.jpg]

Heres a sneak peak preview, this didnt take me long at all: This is my first time using blender btw, well i started 2 days ago :D

[Image: file.php?id=2]
Thanks given by:
It looks very high poly. Try making the round thing boxes, or octagons, or any other polygon, just not a countlesssidegon.

Better modelers than me can tell me how to decrease poly count without too much of a decrease in quality.
Thanks given by:
(13 Jan 12, 01:13AM)Ronald_Reagan Wrote: It looks very high poly. Try making the round thing boxes, or octagons, or any other polygon, just not a countlesssidegon.

Better modelers than me can tell me how to decrease poly count without too much of a decrease in quality.

Thanks for the feedback :) Ill try to google that next lol.
Thanks given by:
Thunderbird 2 was my favourite. :3
Thanks given by:
Since it's on Blender I'll let a_slow_old_man answer to that but indeed from what I can see on the screenshot even if a lot of them can be welded together it you will end up with a huge amount of vertices.

The challenge with modelling in AC is to keep vertex/poly as low as possible and I mean very low.
Thanks given by:
I have to crush this idea here, sorry.

If you continue with this model the way you do now, you will not be able to actually play on a map with this mapmodel.

The idea of a spaceship sounds very tempting, but since the Helicopter we know this will cause to much lag :(

If you like the spaceship theme, I'd recommend you to make small props inside of a spaceship you can make as a map or maybe a launchbase.

If you need help with anything Blender or importing related, visit the #akimbo channel at Gamesurge. I'm there half a day usually. Just highlight me and I will try to help you.
Thanks given by:
AC_Thunderbird_Island@CAMPER!!!!!!!!!!!!111!11eleven!!!

And that will be one FPS hungry model, how tall is it? as tall as the guard tower?
Thanks given by:
Maybe, you can still make a spaceship, just as small model?
Then, you're not going to need so much polys too.
Thanks given by:
Judging from the screens, I'd recommend you start to get familiar with the very basics of modelling first.

Like there's no point in using two stacks for a straight cylinder. Stuff like that aren't even matters of high or low poly modelling. It's just a typical beginners mistake, which you need to get aware of as soon as possible in order to get something done correctly.

I just gave it a shot and managed to create the basic shape with 122 polys. Pretending the thing would be used within a rather "concealed" rocket launch silo of sorts, you could work up to a poly count of 500 max total. Just to name a number.

It all starts with a cylinder, 10 stacks / 8 slices. On the top, there're all vertices snapped together to create that spike. This upper "ring" is just the third stack extruded and scaled up uniformly along the x and z axes (while y is the vertical one).

The wings start with a box, with the upper face extruded so you'll get a second stack on top. Again the upper vertices snapped together in order to create the spiky top. Scale down this house-shaped box along z-axes, until it's flat enough. Duplicate the whole thing and rotate by 90 degree along the y-axes.

Polys = Triangles / 2

[Image: spaceship_screeny.jpg]

Hope that will help you understand what the hell I'm talking about. :)

[Image: spaceship_screeny_2.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(13 Jan 12, 05:33PM)Mr.Floppy Wrote: Like there's no point in using two stacks for a straight cylinder.
I'm not entirely sure if I know what you mean, but you might have mistaken the rectangular face marker dots for edges.
Thanks given by:
Oh right, exactly as you said, tempest.

I'm not used to blender and from the screen it looks like there were 2 stacks. Thanks for pointing out. My bad, sorry.
Thanks given by: