Speculation on an AC Competitive Mod
I've been told that even a 100% aimbot in singleplayer loses a large chunk of bullets. AC has more randomness and luck than any competitive shooter I know.

Maybe we should agree on a seperate mod for competitive play? Most other FPSs weren't directly supported by the developers but rather by modders. AC has pretty good modding support. If there is interest I could develop a mod with balance changes, the hit-fix, ready-up and map-selection capabilities, etc... all available through a regular client with modconnect. The question is whether anyone would play it.
Thanks given by:
(07 Jan 12, 09:17PM)Roflcopter Wrote: Maybe we should agree on a seperate mod for competitive play?

To me, it sounds like there will be two separate games? D: unless I misinterpreted that.

Thanks given by:
(07 Jan 12, 09:17PM)Roflcopter Wrote: Maybe we should agree on a seperate mod for competitive play? Most other FPSs weren't directly supported by the developers but rather by modders. AC has pretty good modding support. If there is interest I could develop a mod with balance changes, the hit-fix, ready-up and map-selection capabilities, etc... all available through a regular client with modconnect. The question is whether anyone would play it.

A "Pro"mod of some sorts would be awesome. Something that strips AC down further. E.g. a server with maxclient at 8, no spread on any weapon, one sniper per team, no shotgun, no armer, no nades, health at 60 per player. Only certain maps and modes would be available. Possibly more modes created, such as an objective based version of TSURV.

Just throwing ideas into the air.
Thanks given by:
(07 Jan 12, 11:24PM)Mr.OpTic Wrote:
(07 Jan 12, 09:17PM)Roflcopter Wrote: Maybe we should agree on a seperate mod for competitive play? Most other FPSs weren't directly supported by the developers but rather by modders. AC has pretty good modding support. If there is interest I could develop a mod with balance changes, the hit-fix, ready-up and map-selection capabilities, etc... all available through a regular client with modconnect. The question is whether anyone would play it.

A "Pro"mod of some sorts would be awesome. Something that strips AC down further. E.g. a server with maxclient at 8, no spread on any weapon, one sniper per team, no shotgun, no armer, no nades, health at 60 per player. Only certain maps and modes would be available. Possibly more modes created, such as an objective based version of TSURV.

That sounds amazing. I would be on board for testing and possible modding when and if I am able. ^_^
Thanks given by:
(07 Jan 12, 09:17PM)Roflcopter Wrote: The question is whether anyone would play it.
I would. Add a half time to "force changeteams" while you're at it ;)

Thanks given by:
This continues from the AC balance thread. Mods, maybe the other posts should be moved?

(07 Jan 12, 11:24PM)Mr.OpTic Wrote: A "Pro"mod of some sorts would be awesome. Something that strips AC down further. E.g. a server with maxclient at 8, no spread on any weapon, one sniper per team, no shotgun, no armer, no nades, health at 60 per player. Only certain maps and modes would be available. Possibly more modes created, such as an objective based version of TSURV.

Ideally servers would have 20 slots so spectators, referees, commentators etc... may watch but it's very much a server owner's decision how large they are.

I doubt that, without modding the clients which I can't do, I can enforce one sniper or shotgun only per team. I can change the various balance elements though.

I like the idea of TSURV with round points. I'd suggest only a single mode though since tournments need to focus specifically on a single set of rules instead of fragmenting the learning curves.
Thanks given by:
(07 Jan 12, 11:24PM)Mr.OpTic Wrote: A "Pro"mod of some sorts...no spread on any weapon
Thanks given by:
i have already no spread and no recoil and i feel confortable with that, it is a good idea
Thanks given by:
It's to be similar to SWAT I guess, like Halo.
Thanks given by:
(07 Jan 12, 09:17PM)Roflcopter Wrote: I've been told that even a 100% aimbot in singleplayer loses a large chunk of bullets. AC has more randomness and luck than any competitive shooter I know.

Maybe we should agree on a seperate mod for competitive play? Most other FPSs weren't directly supported by the developers but rather by modders. AC has pretty good modding support. If there is interest I could develop a mod with balance changes, the hit-fix, ready-up and map-selection capabilities, etc... all available through a regular client with modconnect. The question is whether anyone would play it.
F2

Thanks given by:
(08 Jan 12, 01:50AM)DES|OpenSource Wrote:
(07 Jan 12, 09:17PM)Roflcopter Wrote: I've been told that even a 100% aimbot in singleplayer loses a large chunk of bullets. AC has more randomness and luck than any competitive shooter I know.

F2
Just saying F2 isn't really constructive. I think Larry has good ideas, AC pro mod could be very cool. I would be glad to be part of the testing team.
Thanks given by:
Count me in as well.
Thanks given by:
(08 Jan 12, 01:50AM)DES|OpenSource Wrote:

F2

This idea has a lot of potential OpenSource, and considering you've never played a match in your life. Or if you have it's been a long time - I don't see why it concerns you so much, it's not like we'll be playing another game.

Pro Mod would be great, all games that are played seriously tend to stray away from vanilla and narrow their thoughts of what is good and right to them in game. I don't see why AC should be any different. I love the idea of team switching half way, to stop people getting better bases and choosing bias picks. No spread on weapons is nice. Still, a lot of this needs some proper thought put into it.

I think Larry has already decided to commandeer my servers for when he starts work on this. So it will be something like /modconnect uk.myys.tk 7777 match, I am sure.
Thanks given by:
(08 Jan 12, 07:05PM)Jason Wrote: This idea has a lot of potential OpenSource, and considering you've never played a match in your life.

ive played a match vs OS once :D

and i do think it could be a nice idea
Thanks given by:
(07 Jan 12, 11:24PM)Mr.OpTic Wrote:

I would have to side a bit with OpenSource on this one. I am a bit against this idea, at least based upon how MrOptic created his ideals for it. I don't really see the point of having a maximum number of clients at eight as teams could always grow beyond that point. Along with that, if you eliminate the spread on every weapon then the skill you would have had in being able to control you weapon better (at least if I interpret the basis of how spread works). I understand that it is good to have it set with one of specific weapons on certain teams, but saying that you can't have a shotgun is more of people complaining about it because they find that it is "noob." The shotgun is a viable weapon of AssaultCube and as such, accept it and maybe even shoot it. The same applies with grenades: if you can use them well, why shouldn't you be able to use it? I don't have as much of a problem with armor, but it wouldn't be back to allow only helmets or something of the sort. On your last point, I can make no sense of it. In suggesting that the health is at only 60, that means that any shot with a sniper would kill the opponent. Now correct me if you find me wrong, but if that were the case, the shotgun should be more than viable. The sniper would become an overpowered killing machine, as many find the shotgun now.
Thanks given by:
evanzo <3
Thanks given by:
(08 Jan 12, 07:59PM)evanzo23 Wrote: I would have to side a bit with OpenSource on this one. I am a bit against this idea, at least based upon how MrOptic created his ideals for it. I don't really see the point of having a maximum number of clients at eight as teams could always grow beyond that point. Along with that, if you eliminate the spread on every weapon then the skill you would have had in being able to control you weapon better (at least if I interpret the basis of how spread works). I understand that it is good to have it set with one of specific weapons on certain teams, but saying that you can't have a shotgun is more of people complaining about it because they find that it is "noob." The shotgun is a viable weapon of AssaultCube and as such, accept it and maybe even shoot it. The same applies with grenades: if you can use them well, why shouldn't you be able to use it? I don't have as much of a problem with armor, but it wouldn't be back to allow only helmets or something of the sort. On your last point, I can make no sense of it. In suggesting that the health is at only 60, that means that any shot with a sniper would kill the opponent. Now correct me if you find me wrong, but if that were the case, the shotgun should be more than viable. The sniper would become an overpowered killing machine, as many find the shotgun now.

[Image: facepalmwv.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Ye Ye , guys... We've been waiting for a long time... Do you know how much time it will take to release it?
Thanks given by:
i had sort of a similar idea a while ago. Pro One Shot One Kill. Only headshots count.
Thanks given by:
(I split the posts from the balance thread and merged them with this one. Everything said should be here, if slightly out of order)
Thanks given by:
(08 Jan 12, 01:50AM)DES|OpenSource Wrote: F2

With Open & Evan on this. <3
Seems pointless, and seems to be 'pros' complaining about them not being pro enough to handle spread like everyone else does, or mad that they lost to a shotgun in a clan match. :3
No offense.
* Nightmare hides.

Thanks given by:
(09 Jan 12, 12:01PM)jamz Wrote: (I split the posts from the balance thread and merged them with this one. Everything said should be here, if slightly out of order)

Thanks jamz, and sorry for taking things offtopic in the original thread.

I think I'll start with very basic changes such as reducing spread and implementing half-time switching. After that I'll work on ready-ups and and organizing commands available via chat commands. A few other things I'd like to add are:
  • Allowing spectators to join during matches
  • Disallowing specs to unspectate without permission
  • Commands to allow and disallow spectator global chat (so spectators' chat won't disturb players)

I hope to have spread reduction + half-time by tonight ready for testing.
(09 Jan 12, 02:13PM)Nightmare Wrote: With Open & Evan on this. <3
Seems pointless, and seems to be 'pros' complaining about them not being pro enough to handle spread like everyone else does, or mad that they lost to a shotgun in a clan match. :3
No offense.
* Nightmare hides.

The problem is actually that spread can't be managed well. Burst firing is much less effective than in, say, Urban Terror. But there are other things that can be improved on too. I think there are some valid reservations, particularly about fragmentation of the game however.

I also highly doubt that a player sporting a shotgun would win mid or high skill clan matches with current balance. Perhaps on ac_werk, ac_mines or ac_arid.
Thanks given by:
Hey ROLFCOPTER, you know what? I have an awesome idea for this "thing".
Implement something that counts how many times you T bag a death character, and add a mode called TTB (Team Tea Bagging) and another one called STB (Solo Tea Baggin).
Make it that each TBAG gives you, I dont know, a million points?
Im sure all "pros" will jump in and play this mode like CRAZY!
Discuss...
Edit: I know Id play this mode, and Im sure MikeG would too! (Not saying that im Pro by no means, Mike sure is [T baging at least XD])

Dont have to thank me! I do it for the lulz.
Thanks given by:
lrn2sarcasm
Thanks given by:
paulmuaddibKA's idea is by far the best shit (in a good way) I've read on these forums in a long time. I give to you 1337 internets. Also, each t-bag should give one million and one points instead, and unprofessional baggers like MykeGregory should not be allowed to play.

Paul for dev
Thanks given by:
Interesting idea. It has some good potential.
However I'm not a fan of all this elitist discussion...

Example:
(08 Jan 12, 08:41PM)Mr.OpTic Wrote: [Image: facepalmwv.jpg]
(08 Jan 12, 12:35PM)pweaks Wrote: Just saying F2 (or in this case posting a single picture without any explanation) isn't really constructive.
Learn from pweaks!
I mean seriously he took the time to write all that much and you just shoot him down. >.>
Thanks given by:
Bring 1.0.4 back and I'll be happy :D then you make your other game
Thanks given by:
It might be interesting to see how it develops, however I do believe there's no real reason to do it. After all this is a game that rather we like it or not it's been made this way, with flaws and a lot of things to use as an advantage, the fact that you wanna make a mod just to prove you're better than the rest of us but the game doesn't "let you" show it shows you don't master the game the way you think.

I know a lot of things might seem "wrong" with this game, but hey those things are what makes it funny, I don't see any fun in not having problems with the guns.

Edit: +1 to Honza
Thanks given by:
(10 Jan 12, 12:29AM)AnGeL* Wrote: Bring 1.0.4 back and I'll be happy :D then you make your other game
http://sourceforge.net/projects/actionga...n%201.0.4/ ...
Thanks given by:
The overall idea is pretty good, but I'm afraid is not gonna work in the long run. I say that taking in consideration what happend with w00p's alternative master server in the 1.04 to 1.1 transition, everyone on hi-skill forum was giving hurrays to the alternative MS but when push came to shove ppl only played there for a couple of weeks and after that you couldn't even find 4 guys to play a inter. I think that after a few weeks when the novelty was gone you would not have enough players simultaneously connecting to the moded servers besides some of your clan mates and friends.

I'm afraid it would be more like a clan match inter mod kinda thing and even so it would not have massive suport from the community (I could be wrong, but I'm afraind that I'm not). The so called AC's pro clan community is pretty small and fractured, just to get a handfull of players to agree on how the gameplay on the mod should work would be a nightmare, just like the weapon balance issue for the new version is now. You would end it up going to loads of work to have a few players and clans playing eventual matches on your mod. It would be pretty fun I give you that just not sure it would have support from enough players that would make it worth you a while, but hey it would be a pretty damn cool alternative for matches. I would try it...

Thanks given by: