AC Mapping Tricks
This is a test, dont care about the music (i know it's the same on my MineCraft tutorial).
Critics are welcome, hope it could help you! :D

If you have some ideas and good questions about something in mapping, and if a video is needed to explain well, ask it! :D

Here i make an advanced garage door, of course it's an exemple where i can show you some tricks and problems you can have in mapping (and how to "dodge/hide" them)

AssaultCube mapping tricks N°2
Thanks given by:
Music is great, quick, classy and simple tutorial makes the mapping engine seem BAD-ASS. Lovely work.
Thanks given by:
How come your highfields slowly move?
Mine are instant.
Thanks given by:
(07 Jan 12, 10:08AM)MykeGregory Wrote: How come your highfields slowly move?
Mine are instant.

It's not with the "arches and slopes menu" or with the "perlin" command.
It's real heighfields! :D
Watch the doc (A+H for the ground (or A+I for the roof) and then, keep the A key and scroll down/up with your mousse)

Ofc i'll not make basic mapping tutorials like that because i'm "over the doc".
Thanks given by:
that's what i mean with inspiring mapping. it's a quite simple idea but the key is to HAVE that idea. nice work, go on. [Image: thumbup1.gif]
Thanks given by:
F1

* V-Man is tempted to turn this martial art into a script
Thanks given by:
Good video, thanks. I think it makes sense to attach (pin up) this topic.
.Exodus* could you show how to select models/entities which are allocated too close each other?
Thanks given by:
AssaultCube mapping tricks N°2

Quote:.Exodus* could you show how to select models/entities which are allocated too close each other?

You need luck. :)
Thanks given by:
/push it!1
Thanks given by:
I think your in love with the Skyward Sword Ballad of the Goddess remixed by C418. Original was made by The Legend of Zelda 25th Anniversary Orchestra. -.-
Thanks given by:
Meh! How comes I didn't see that video before? Nice finding mate.

I have a question though, does it anyhow affects the WQD, FPS aso...?
Thanks given by:
(01 Mar 12, 08:54AM)DES|Cleaner Wrote: I have a question though, does it anyhow affects the WQD, FPS aso...?

How can i know?
Thanks given by:
(09 Mar 12, 03:57AM).ExodusS* Wrote:
(01 Mar 12, 08:54AM)DES|Cleaner Wrote: I have a question though, does it anyhow affects the WQD, FPS aso...?
How can i know?

/showstats 2

To mods, can we have this thread sticky please? It's well worth it.

Thanks given by:
Done, and changed the title from "AC Mapping Tricks video test." to just "AC Mapping Tricks", so feel free to post more here :)
Thanks given by:
The best mapping tip I can give is to find your own style, even if you use ideas from other maps, have that 1 thing that will set your map apart from the rest.

Keep in mind that the engine is meant for small, indoor maps that can be faked to look like outside areas. Giant, wide open maps catering to snipers can be fun for some, but if you want your map to be played competitively by the majority of the community it should be a reasonable size (mapsize 7-8) with a good amount of solids. The F key is your friend. :p

Only use heightfields where you need them. More heightfields = more resources required for the engine to run the map. That doesn't mean you shouldn't use them, but if you have an 8x8 cube heightfield with only 2 cubes actually using them, the others are wasted and your map could run better for some if only the 2 were heightfielded.

Brainstorming > Layout > Other Geometry > Textures > Details > Models > Flags (if needed) > Pickups > Spawnpoints > Lighting > Testing > Release

I create maps in that order, of course you can do things different.
Thanks given by:
Sorry, but all the QQing about walk through doors, and you sticky a topic with a video on HOW to do it? This logic is hideous.
Thanks given by:
(09 Mar 12, 11:23PM)Bukz Wrote: The best mapping tip I can give is to find your own style, even if you use ideas from other maps, have that 1 thing that will set your map apart from the rest.

Of course yes, but when you know more about mapping, your style may be better.

But i know that all mappers still stealing mapping ideas from older maps (and even from Cube maps).
Take as exemple:
-a simple door/window
-the roof
-destroyed walls
-the stairs texture
Thanks given by:
Yea my point was to have people use something unique in their maps rather than just using things from previous maps that have already been done. Of course that may not always be possible depending on their knowledge with the editor.

As long as people don't copy/paste from other maps and are learning more from each map they make they should have success. :)
Thanks given by:
(01 Mar 12, 06:15AM)Link Wrote: I think your in love with the Skyward Sword Ballad of the Goddess remixed by C418. Original was made by The Legend of Zelda 25th Anniversary Orchestra. -.-
I think you'll find that they named themselves the Hyrule Symphony Orchestra.
Thanks given by: