Ping?
Hi,
I'm new to online gaming and people keep asking about my ping and why it's so high. So I want to know what ping is? and Where do I want it to be? (high or low)

Thanks.
Thanks given by:
The ping of a client is basically the amount of time (ms) it takes for packets to be sent to a server you're playing on.

Think of it this way: you're calling someone FAR away. There is a delay for the message to be received, right? That 'delay' in gaming is your ping. The 'message' would be your kill on someone, so for instance, if you killed someone, the server would notify you of that kill n number of seconds (where n=ping). You'd want it to be low, so you don't lag so much.

Your ping might be high because of a bad internet connection, or maybe because of the distance between your computer's location and the server's location. The nearer the server, the lower the ping; which is why it is recommended that you play on servers nearer to you.

Hope this helped. :)
Thanks given by:
Ping describes how long it takes your information to travel through the inter-webs to the server. You want it to be low to avoid latency (too much delay for the predictive movement part of the game code).
Packet jump ("PJ") is also an important stat for latency. It describes how many information packets have to be skipped because of unstable latency (the network not being sure of how to compensate for lag/ping).
"Lag" is a term used to describe ping or PJ that is high enough to severely disrupt gameplay. If you lag, you're apt to get kicked out of a server so that others can actually play.
Thanks given by:
Do you have any suggestions on how to lower it because the lowest I've seen my ping is about 1300?
Thanks given by:
Wow. That's ridiculous. Where do you live? Vanuatu? If you do there's no helping it. Otherwise you could get yourself a decent broadband connection.
Thanks given by:
:/
When playing AssaultCube, don't do anything else with your internet... that'd help a bit. But like uni said, your ISP and where you live can really affect that.
Thanks given by:
To start, a dialup connection is the minimum requirement for this game. And stop your p0rn downloads.
Thanks given by:
Would it have anything to do with a satellite? You know the info having to travel to the satellite and and back. Because we have that Hughes Net. And I don't download p0rn.
Thanks given by:
The satellite will most likely cause a higher ping, yes.
However, that being said, 1300 seems a little high.
Do you use any torrenting programs? They like to run in the background, uploading files from your computer so other people can access them. This will kill your ping. Are you actively downloading anything while playing AC? This will also kill your ping.
Thanks given by:
oo let me dumb down the answer.. turn off every thing but ac.. only run ac.. kick anyone on your network off of their computers to keep the connection free :) if that not work.. get new internet .. new comp ..or move to a new place

lol gl ;)
Thanks given by:
Yeah when you're playing AC, check to see if anything else on your network is consumng bandwidth first. Disable everything that is and then start AC.
Thanks given by: