Server Doesn't Work
[Image: whatdoe.png]
I haven't changed anything and my server doesn't want to work anymore. I haven't been on for a while but I don't think that should make any difference.

Edit: What do?
Thanks given by:
Did you check that your internal I.P. hasn't changed?
Thanks given by:
You also make sure that you are using the same ports you are forwarding.
Thanks given by:
Just remembered I made this thread.. I have a good memory *cough*.
Um, I'm almost certain nothing's changed. I even went through the process of resetting up the server. If my I.P. did change, how would I go about fixing this?
Thanks given by:
http://wiki.cubers.net/action/view/Port_...leshooting

You would fix it by editing your port forwarding settings.
Thanks given by:
You should also set a static internal address (or reserve an address in DHCP, whichever is easier in your router) so this doesn't happen again.
Thanks given by:
just get a vps to run ac servers, thats what i did, get virpus.com $5 vpses and they're perfect for AC
Thanks given by:
Jg99 how will having a VPS solve this? You know some people like to know how servers actually work instead of relying on companies to do it all for them. I get really anoyed by your constant advertising on this forum, when i joined here i thought i was joining an open source community now with your constant adverts for hosting and VPS I may as well be on a microsoft board!
I dont have anything against VPS hosts if thats the way you want to go, they certainly make decent servers if you stick within the limits of their capability. But i also want to encourage people to run servers themselves, learn about hosting, learn about the game, maybe these people will be the next group of Devs to keep this game alive.

Note to Mods is such blatant advertising as above not banned on this forum, if not please can it be?

Now back on topic.

Josiah

You can check your external IP with this http://touch.whatsmyip.org/

You can check your port is open with this http://www.whatsmyip.org/port-scanner/

Jack has given good advice, making your IP static is a great idea, you may need to set your router to reserve that IP only for your machine, and while you are there I would check the port forwarding rules as has already been sugested.
One last thing that often catches peope out, firewall on you machine. Some distros of Linux and all versions of Windows come with a built in one, Linux is quite easy to configure exceptions, Windows not so easy. Also if you have auto updates on, major security updates may cause your Windows firewall to loose its settings.
Try that and let us know how you get on.

Andy
Thanks given by:
(05 Feb 12, 05:44AM)Jg99 Wrote: just get a vps to run ac servers, thats what i did, get virpus.com $5 vpses and they're perfect for AC

Wait, what?
Thanks given by:
(05 Feb 12, 09:49AM)DES|Anderson Wrote: Jg99 how will having a VPS solve this? You know some people like to know how servers actually work instead of relying on companies to do it all for them. I get really anoyed by your constant advertising on this forum, when i joined here i thought i was joining an open source community now with your constant adverts for hosting and VPS I may as well be on a microsoft board!
I dont have anything against VPS hosts if thats the way you want to go, they certainly make decent servers if you stick within the limits of their capability. But i also want to encourage people to run servers themselves, learn about hosting, learn about the game, maybe these people will be the next group of Devs to keep this game alive

I wouldn't trust Jg99's company recommendations, but, to be fair, a VPS won't do it all for you and will certainly allow you to learn and know how the server works. When you get a VPS, you get a virtual machine with a fresh, bare OS of your choice (with, say, SSH enabled). It's your responsibility to connect to it, install the software you need, ensure that the server is kept secure, etc. It's not really different from running the server at home except that you don't have to manage the port forwarding in the networking equipment.

So, in short, when you get a VPS, you are still running the server yourself, it just isn't in your bedroom. People generally get those so they can have good bandwidth and have a [virtual] machine with resources dedicated to running the AC server. I don't think it's a good solution to ignorance of simple things like port forwarding, though, because if you can't figure that out then you aren't going to do very well running a server remotely.

To be clear, I agree with you that a VPS won't really solve this problem fully.

Thanks for confirming my advice. :)
Thanks given by:
Hmm, this error usually comes when there is an error with ports correct?
I had the same problem when my internal ip changed.

Just try to forward the ports again, make sure everything is correct.
Thanks given by:
Reopen the ports on your router (delete them and make new ones)
Thanks given by:
Yes, this is most likely cos internal IP has changed so the ports arent forward correct.

Log onto your router and set static IP for your machine and reopen ports.
Thanks given by:
I'll check it out sometime, I just wanted to know how to fix it if I ever decide to play some more :) Thanks for the help, it was way more than I expected!
Thanks given by: