ZomDot
Wrote this last night/today. Top down Zombies survival. Press 'c' to start/stop the Zombies. F5 enters fullscreen. It's clearly not a finished game but it's a decent start considering I've never written several key parts of the code before. ~3 days to Christmas, maybe I'll have a functioning "game" by then. If I wrote this much in one day I should be able to manage assuming I don't lose steam.

For now you can run around, let the Zombies chase you, pretend you're shooting at them, make pewpewpew sounds. Use your mouse to change direction, up and down arrow keys to move. You will have the option of using arrow keys alone to move although most people will prefer the mouse.

[Image: ohshitu.png]

Zombies will run directly at you even if there is a wall in the way. I'm pondering a "rail" system to correct that. I've never written bots that followed paths so I don't yet know how to do it but I have some ideas.

Zombies do not yet collide with each other. I'll cross that horrific bridge when I get to it. If you know how to do this properly or have links to good literature on it I'd appreciate it.

Corners are a little wonky because map collision is not written correctly.

You may "fire" your "weapon" by clicking but it doesn't do any damage. I don't have any method of figuring out if a Zombie was hit written yet.

I do not intend to keep the appearance of the game as it currently is; the finished game will not consist of one blue dot running from many red dots. A properly animated model should occupy both roles. As well, maps will not be boolean arrays, that's just silly. The appearance and functioning of the game right now are the way they are just to serve a purpose; it allows me to be chased by 1024 Zombies at 50fps(512x512) on my crap computer(Integrated graphics, five year old cpu).

The plan is to make several modes; Survival(Standard Zombies), Efficiency(Survival variant), Onslaught and Extermination. A few generic guns will be present. Of course there will be shotguns.

There will also be map specific "installations", operable devices that serve some purpose. Examples include a mechanical floor that reveals a pit for Zombies to get trapped in and an electrified room(I'm calling this a "shock box"). Additionally, items may be picked up and possibly combined to create a variety of useful items; demolition explosives combined with an alarm clock to create a time bomb is one example.

http://www.mediafire.com/?ck73lygruffik17

Mac users will have to wait. I may end up writing this in java as soon as I learn it.
Thanks given by:
Can't judge since I'm a Mac user, but looks very neat :D
Thanks given by:
What is it currently written in?
Thanks given by:
C++, glut.
Thanks given by:
Nice start. :)
Thanks given by:
(22 Dec 11, 02:20AM)Mael Wrote: [Image: ohshitu.png]
^ ^ ^ ^
IMMA FIRIN' MA LAZORRRR!! BLLLAAARRRGGGHHH!!

Lol, nice start.
I remember writing an action game using DOS. it was a question based stealth game. nearly finnished too but my laptop got BSoD! FFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU.

Thanks given by:
(22 Dec 11, 02:20AM)Mael Wrote: Zombies will run directly at you even if there is a wall in the way. I'm pondering a "rail" system to correct that. I've never written bots that followed paths so I don't yet know how to do it but I have some ideas.

[jk]Take AC as exemple! :D[/jk]

Nah seriously, it looks good, i'll test it soon. :)
Thanks given by:
HAHA YES
Top-down 2D AssaultCube!
Thanks given by:
Minor update.

You may now shoot at the Zombies and kill them. Zombies have 100 health, your pistol does 8 damage to each Zombie it hits(Will shoot through Zombies). When they die they disappear(Actually I just stop drawing them and move them to (-4, -4)). You are awarded points and your killcount will increase.

You can shoot through walls for now.

Also, 1024 Zombies will chase you. Distance calculations are performed for each Zombie each frame and again when you fire a bullet, yet I'm getting a solid 60fps at 512x512. I know this game isn't very intense yet but what the fuck I thought I'd be lower than that by now.

http://www.mediafire.com/?kseaf9po8gnoh93
Thanks given by:
I dont know how to shoot and I fail miserably at moving around. Maybe WASD should be implemented for moving?
Thanks given by:
You shoot by clicking or pressing '0'(I think). You change your angle using the mouse or arrow keys but the callback function for the mouse overrides any changes you make with the keys. It's super easy to fix I just didn't get around to it.

I guess four keys should move you around and the mouse decides your angle.
Thanks given by: