Best gfx card for increased fps?
Okay, so since my other thread got closed (*sadface*), I've recently come into a considerable amount of money and think I'm in need of a new graphics card. Currently in AC I get 90 fps, maybe nearer 120 on good days (dependant of mode/map, etc). My hitreg on most servers (assuming I use an automatic weapon) is pretty bad, and as a result sometimes my AR can fail and sometimes it can be brilliant, this all depends on what FPS I get.

Before anyone asks, I've done all the commands that will help lower my graphics and get better FPS. My computer is about 2 years old, and the processor is decent, the weak link in my rig is a Nvidia GeForce 9200 gfx card (I'm presuming, anyway). Is there a better graphics card I could buy that would perhaps increase my fps? I've been searching around but I'm a tech noob and so therefore am quite unaware of what would be a sufficient purchase to make. Any help will be appreciated, thanks :)
Thanks given by:
price range ?
Thanks given by:
HD 5870
HD 6870
HD 6970

price range 140-250 euro

1000 fps
Thanks given by:
I would recommend a nvidia geforce 9600 gt w/ 1GB of vram if your looking to get some good performance for a low price. http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_gef...gt_us.html
Thanks given by:
(20 Dec 11, 01:08AM)Joe Smith Wrote: price range ?

Sorry I probably should have specified this earlier. There isn't any set price range, but if possible I'd like to spend under £200. WarHard and Elite, thankyou for your suggestions, I'll definetely check them out. 1000fps sounds tempting >:D
Thanks given by:
NVidia FTW.
i wish i could upgrade but my graphics card is build into the mother board. :(
Thanks given by:
try setting 1st the /vsync 1 cuz you will get most stable fps than (mine is 75) without any lag spikes

and can some1 tell me what exactly is 1000fps good for? you have monitor with up to 120hz so 1000fps can't be even shown on screen not to mention your eyes to detect it?

just a thought :)
Thanks given by:
I set my vsync to 0, before I used to have 60fps constantly.

Basically Milandrag the more fps you have, the better your hitreg with automatic weapons will be (particularly AR). Once your fps is above 200, it doesn't make much of a difference. And yes I read somewhere that the human eye can't tell the difference after 120 fps and above, I want as much fps as possible for better hitreg (e.g so I can burst with the AR from afar and all the shots will hit, currently I spray every shot with the AR), not for smoother gameplay. I don't know how you're so good with 75 fps.

(20 Dec 11, 01:51PM)MykeGregory Wrote: NVidia FTW.

Unlucky :((
Thanks given by:
(20 Dec 11, 01:51PM)MykeGregory Wrote: NVidia FTW.

if you don't have a laptop you can easily plug in an additional one and it should work :)

@ vanquish:

i don't think you need much fps to be good :)
Thanks given by:
ATI Radeon HD 5450 ftw!

Its about £30 low power so you wont need to upgrade your PSU, silent as it doesnt have any silly fans just a good old fashioned heatsink, 1Gb dedicated graphics memory and even on high graphics detail my fps rarely drops below 250.

;)
Thanks given by:
5670/5770 - both under a hundred pounds, I had two 5770's in crossfire, but sold my second as I didn't get much of a performance increase. With only one, I get more than enough fps, and play all other games just fine too, e.g. crysis, css, l4d, cod.

Ofc, need to see what psu you have, for cards like Elite suggested, you'll want 500/600watt psu's just to be on the safe side. If you want to know more, skype me.
Thanks given by:
They also have something much easier these days called external graphics cards. Sound pretty cool actually.
Thanks given by:
also you need to get a graphics card that is close in price/stats as your CPU, if you have a GFX card that is more than you need and more than your CPU can handle, then your CPU will bottle neck trying to keep up with your GFX card. It happened to me, cuz i didnt think they worked as close with each other as i thought. I had a simi ok cpu, and 225$ GFX card, and i got about 1/3 out of my gfx card. Also FPS and the performance of a FPS, or any game for PC, is not just determined by GFX card but also by CPU, just keep that in mind.

If you do get an amazing gfx card doesn't mean you will get 1000 fps, unless your cpu is close in nature to the gfx card in specs. or price.
Thanks given by:
Spend you money on something better.
Above 90FPS = ewww.
FPS whore
:P
Thanks given by:

(20 Dec 11, 06:39PM)Vanqu!sh Wrote: I set my vsync to 0, before I used to have 60fps constantly.

Basically Milandrag the more fps you have, the better your hitreg with automatic weapons will be (particularly AR). Once your fps is above 200, it doesn't make much of a difference. And yes I read somewhere that the human eye can't tell the difference after 120 fps and above, I want as much fps as possible for better hitreg (e.g so I can burst with the AR from afar and all the shots will hit, currently I spray every shot with the AR), not for smoother gameplay. I don't know how you're so good with 75 fps.
I thought the devs had fixed this in the SVN so your just in the end wasting your money a CPU and some RAM would be a better investment. Anyway I get 60 FPS because my LCD display loves tearing yet I use the SMG and still get a solid amount of kills.

Thanks given by:
Wow, did not expect so many responses, thankyou all for your time :)

(20 Dec 11, 07:58PM)Milandrag Wrote: @ vanquish:
i don't think you need much fps to be good :)

You don't need it, but it helps. Usually when I'm 1v1ing someone better than me I get the same (or more) accuracy than them, but not all of my shots hit. Is this down to connection then rather than fps? I've seen screens of some people from FD, you raped my old clan in a cm with 65fps...I mean how is that possible?

(20 Dec 11, 08:00PM)DES|Anderson Wrote: ATI Radeon HD 5450 ftw!

Its about £30 low power so you wont need to upgrade your PSU, silent as it doesnt have any silly fans just a good old fashioned heatsink, 1Gb dedicated graphics memory and even on high graphics detail my fps rarely drops below 250.
;)

That sounds really good, thanks for the suggestion! My fps hovers between 90 and 110 most of the time, with the graphics on horrible, and all the texreduce commands and lighting done, etc. I've tried everything and I'm sure that fps is the cause of my low hitreg.

(20 Dec 11, 08:46PM)Jason Wrote: 5670/5770 - both under a hundred pounds, I had two 5770's in crossfire, but sold my second as I didn't get much of a performance increase. With only one, I get more than enough fps, and play all other games just fine too, e.g. crysis, css, l4d, cod.

Ofc, need to see what psu you have, for cards like Elite suggested, you'll want 500/600watt psu's just to be on the safe side. If you want to know more, skype me.

I didn't understand half of that but thanks for the advice anyway! I've seen your screens and you get some nonsensical 700fps sometimes...

*drools at the thought of a slightly increased hitreg

I'll skype you sometime when you're on (usually you're afk most of the time) :L

(21 Dec 11, 01:52AM)SleepKiller Wrote: I thought the devs had fixed this in the SVN so your just in the end wasting your money a CPU and some RAM would be a better investment. Anyway I get 60 FPS because my LCD display loves tearing yet I use the SMG and still get a solid amount of kills.

In a sense, yes. I'm new to AC (haven't played any previous versions) so I don't know what they're like. When I use the SMG I get solid kills (hell, when I use the AR I get good kills - last I checked my ratio is 2.3 on the BoB ladder), but they aren't good enough. I 1v1 pro players, and ask them for fun to set their maxfps to 90, they agree with me it is horrible.

I'm not saying fps is the "only reason I suck", because that would be ridiculous, I of course know that I have lot to improve on, and a lot of time to do it. I just think that making an investment in a better fps card would be a good step to improving my hitreg. Thanks again for all replies. :D

Thanks given by:
(20 Dec 11, 06:39PM)Vanqu!sh Wrote: I don't know how you're so good with 75 fps.

I have 60

Thanks given by:
Quote:I've tried everything and I'm sure that fps is the cause of my low hitreg.

When you're connected to a server, and you hold tab, or die, to look at the scoreboard, what is your packet jump value? (pj)

60 FPS is great for games like AC. I wouldn't waste my time or money on anything else, if purely for such a low-level game :P

In fact, I don't understand why you don't set your graphics to good so you can enjoy the artistic part of the game too :P

Also, to my knowledge and maybe just common sense, the logic still runs at the same speed, higher FPS merely tells the game to abandon doing any logic to hurry up and draw a frame for your delight :P It's visually more accurate, but really there's no reason a higher FPS is going to perform any better/faster than anyone with a solid FPS. So 213515 FPS might as well be 60 FPS :P Waste of time I think :P
Thanks given by:
(21 Dec 11, 08:22PM)Felix-The-Ghost Wrote: Also, to my knowledge and maybe just common sense, the logic still runs at the same speed, higher FPS merely tells the game to abandon doing any logic to hurry up and draw a frame for your delight :P It's visually more accurate, but really there's no reason a higher FPS is going to perform any better/faster than anyone with a solid FPS. So 213515 FPS might as well be 60 FPS :P Waste of time I think :P

This should be correct, however AC sometimes works in strange and mysterious ways. Meaning this isn't always true.
Thanks given by:
That's how most games are coded o_O
haha :P
Thanks given by:
So pj is the cause of weird hitreg (this isn't an aim problem, I focus my crosshair on my opponent's body and sometimes I hear hitsound and watch my enemy die, sometimes I hear nothing; or maybe less hitsound, and then I die because I've used up a packet of ammo that didn't hit, giving the enemy time to strike while I reload or switch to pistol).

I'm confused. Help a noob out. :3
Thanks given by:
It'll get fixed. In the meantime, learn more efficient dodging techniques.
Thanks given by:
my GTX 280 has been great
btw you do have a pci-e port right?
Thanks given by:
(20 Dec 11, 12:38AM)Vanqu!sh Wrote: Okay, so since my other thread got closed (*sadface*), I've recently come into a considerable amount of money and think I'm in need of a new graphics card. Currently in AC I get 90 fps, maybe nearer 120 on good days (dependant of mode/map, etc). My hitreg on most servers (assuming I use an automatic weapon) is pretty bad, and as a result sometimes my AR can fail and sometimes it can be brilliant, this all depends on what FPS I get.

Before anyone asks, I've done all the commands that will help lower my graphics and get better FPS. My computer is about 2 years old, and the processor is decent, the weak link in my rig is a Nvidia GeForce 9200 gfx card (I'm presuming, anyway). Is there a better graphics card I could buy that would perhaps increase my fps? I've been searching around but I'm a tech noob and so therefore am quite unaware of what would be a sufficient purchase to make. Any help will be appreciated, thanks :)

I have an nVidia Geforce GTX 285 OCX Edition, and I get 1800 - 1900 fps with maxed settings. I have a friend who has a GTS 250 and gets around 750 - 900fps. A GTX 285 might be a little expensive, but you can get a GTS 250 for $40 - $50 american dollars. (I don't know how many euros that is.)
Thanks given by:
I think you may be reading it wrong, 1800-1900 FPS is way too much.
Thanks given by:
I don't know whether you built your own pc or what, so a good question is what PSU does your computer have?
This is important because some cards may actually draw too much power for some systems built by companies. It would also be good for you to tell us what model your pc is if it is too
Thanks given by:
(22 Dec 11, 02:59PM)V-Man Wrote: It'll get fixed. In the meantime, learn more efficient dodging techniques.

It won't though will it, cause the anti-cheat will still be with us next version, and only one bug was even fixed in SVN, one more to go on top of that.

David, skype me later I'll sort you out a computer or some shit.
Thanks given by:
Okay thanks everyone for responses.

Jason skyped me and helped me out so thanks a lot man, means a lot ^^

With any luck I should be getting a stable 500fps in the new year ;D
Thanks given by:
(24 Dec 11, 02:27PM)Vanqu!sh Wrote: Okay thanks everyone for responses.

Jason skyped me and helped me out so thanks a lot man, means a lot ^^

With any luck I should be getting a stable 500fps in the new year ;D

thats great :) . Hope to frag with you soon.
Thanks given by:
(24 Dec 11, 12:33PM)Jason Wrote: It won't though will it, cause the anti-cheat will still be with us next version, and only one bug was even fixed in SVN, one more to go on top of that.

;_;

That's all I can picture when I read your post.
Thanks given by: