The elusive hitreg fix
I set up a triad of servers this week, and it has been going swimmingly except for one minor hangup. The server seems too lenient when calculating bullet/environment intersection. Put plainly, sometimes I can shoot through the corners of a wall, or the top of a defensive embankment.

I can rule out lag as a source of the problem, as this occurs even when all players have pings < 100ms. I've also experienced this problem from both sides (as the shooter and as the victim).

Googling around has led me to the phrase 'hitreg fix' which is apparently applied to many serious servers (notably deux.cc). However, I can't seem to find the patch/source code/script anywhere. So I come to you, venerable AC forum, for help.

All I need is a link. I can do the rest. Thanks for your help!
Thanks given by:
(10 Dec 11, 10:36PM)MasterKaen Wrote: I set up a triad of servers this week, and it has been going swimmingly except for one minor hangup. The server seems too lenient when calculating bullet/environment intersection. Put plainly, sometimes I can shoot through the corners of a wall, or the top of a defensive embankment.
Clearly, these calculations aren't performed by the server. This is done client-side. The server only roughly checks and broadcasts these events.
(10 Dec 11, 10:36PM)MasterKaen Wrote: I can rule out lag as a source of the problem, as this occurs even when all players have pings < 100ms. I've also experienced this problem from both sides (as the shooter and as the victim).
You can have this feeling even with players having a ping lower than 100.
(10 Dec 11, 10:36PM)MasterKaen Wrote: Googling around has led me to the phrase 'hitreg fix' which is apparently applied to many serious servers (notably deux.cc). However, I can't seem to find the patch/source code/script anywhere. So I come to you, venerable AC forum, for help.
it's a patch for a real bug that occurs server-side : sometimes, the server omits a few hits even if they're "legit". the fix will prevent this problem from happening at the expense of weapon balancing and security
Thanks given by:
(10 Dec 11, 10:57PM)Luc@s Wrote: it's a patch for a real bug that occurs server-side : sometimes, the server omits a few hits even if they're "legit". the fix will prevent this problem from happening at the expense of weapon balancing and security

Thanks for the clarification and exposing my ignorance.
Thanks given by:
(10 Dec 11, 10:36PM)MasterKaen Wrote: ...
Googling around has led me to the phrase 'hitreg fix' which is apparently applied to many serious servers (notably bserv.pbclan.tk). However, I can't seem to find the patch/source code/script anywhere. So I come to you, venerable AC forum, for help.

Here, fixed for you.
Thanks given by:
(10 Dec 11, 10:57PM)Luc@s Wrote: the fix will prevent this problem from happening at the expense of weapon balancing

[Image: Question_mark_alternate.svg]
Thanks given by:
Wait so the weapon balancing gets derped because of hitreg fix.... lolwut? Does that mean the devs knew about this all along, and purposely ignored it for the sake of balancing weapons?
Thanks given by:
weapons were balanced with this bug (which was of course unknown)
now if you fix it you can get like 15 % more hits with automatic guns, making them stronger
Thanks given by:
Yay!

Shotgun FTW....
Thanks given by:
(11 Dec 11, 09:52AM)Luc@s Wrote: weapons were balanced with this bug (which was of course unknown)
now if you fix it you can get like 15 % more hits with automatic guns, making them stronger

I see... I had assumed that the weapons were balanced if you consider no hits being dropped.
If you were butthurt about my posts, then I apologize, as I too, was butthurt due to Minecraft's downtime.
Thanks given by:
(11 Dec 11, 03:23AM)Ronald_Reagan Wrote:
(10 Dec 11, 10:36PM)MasterKaen Wrote: ...
Googling around has led me to the phrase 'hitreg fix' which is apparently applied to many serious servers (notably bserv.pbclan.tk). However, I can't seem to find the patch/source code/script anywhere. So I come to you, venerable AC forum, for help.

Here, fixed for you.

i think he had it right the first time lol
Thanks given by:
Says the person who went begging to me for the source :>
Thanks given by:
(11 Dec 11, 12:27PM)Fate Wrote:
(11 Dec 11, 09:52AM)Luc@s Wrote: weapons were balanced with this bug (which was of course unknown)

I see... I had assumed that the weapons were balanced if you consider no hits being dropped.

No one listens to me when I say this.
Thanks given by:
Apparently not since most of the time its you rambling on about ping but that surprised me as well.
Thanks given by:
(12 Dec 11, 12:56AM)lucky Wrote: Apparently not since most of the time its you rambling on about ping but that surprised me as well.

Sure bro, I play one game with you where I complain 'bout your dialup. Typecast my persona till the end of days.
Thanks given by:
one game? wtf are you talking about? i have heard yours and vaults rants to no end...i like ya but the whining gets old :)
Thanks given by:
(12 Dec 11, 12:35AM)Jason Wrote:
(11 Dec 11, 12:27PM)Fate Wrote:

No one listens to me when I say this.
because it's wrong

Thanks given by:
The 1.1.0.4 weapons were balanced with the bug?
Damn. :/
Thanks given by:

Some people get many less hits as a result of hit-reg issues while others experience almost no hit-loss. For instance, on hlin, Newbie and I took turns shooting at each other from very close range while the other stood still (i.e. in circumstances where we can be sure spread plays no part) and Newbie suffered no lost bullets while I suffered between one and two out of five lost bullets almost every time (with AR).

Most people right now seem to have very close to 100% hit-reg so I doubt it really affected the intended balance. That is, I think the intended balance was likely made by people without much hit-loss so the patch just brings those affected up to the intended amounts. In any case things are a lot less clear-cut than your post suggests.

And further let me add that's it's very ironic that an anti-cheat, that is known not to catch even many obvious hacks currently (all wallhacks, all radar hacks, pitch hacks, ESP, slight speedhacks, etc...), is causing more bias than it's preventing. And I know by the way since I hung around with many cheaters. Sadly it's the legit players that take the hit for it though.
Thanks given by:
(13 Dec 11, 12:35AM)Roflcopter Wrote: Some people get many less hits as a result of hit-reg issues while others experience almost no hit-loss. For instance, on hlin, Newbie and I took turns shooting at each other from very close range while the other stood still (i.e. in circumstances where we can be sure spread plays no part) and Newbie suffered no lost bullets while I suffered between one and two out of five lost bullets almost every time (with AR).

Most people right now seem to have very close to 100% hit-reg so I doubt it really affected the intended balance. That is, I think the intended balance was likely made by people without much hit-loss so the patch just brings those affected up to the intended amounts. In any case things are a lot less clear-cut than your post suggests.

And further let me add that's it's very ironic that an anti-cheat, that is known not to catch even many obvious hacks currently (all wallhacks, all radar hacks, pitch hacks, ESP, slight speedhacks, etc...), is causing more bias than it's preventing. And I know by the way since I hung around with many cheaters. Sadly it's the legit players that take the hit for it though.

I'm sorry, do you actually remember what pubs were like in 104? I'm sorry, you say the ACAC doesn't work because you cannot see the cheats that it is blocking? Thats strange, I'm sure the devs will fix that right away.
Thanks given by:
(13 Dec 11, 12:54AM)Ronald_Reagan Wrote: I'm sorry, do you actually remember what pubs were like in 104? I'm sorry, you say the ACAC doesn't work because you cannot see the cheats that it is blocking? Thats strange, I'm sure the devs will fix that right away.

Yes fewer people cheat since 1.1 but correlation doesn't imply causation.

As I said, I hung around with several cheaters. They've shown me their hacks on servers with the anticheat and they worked fine. In contrast, the anticheat kicks me sometimes if I spin my mouse round fast and disallows some of my bullets despite me having 20 ping, 40 pj stably and absolutely no client modifications.

Xenon used a pitch hack, wallhack and some headshot-related hack if I remember correctly -- all worked fine on anticheat servers. Jorik also got away with at least a wallhack on anticheat servers. Radar hacks are notoriously easy and completely undetectable.

The anticheat was never designed to catch many classes of cheats such as wallhacks, radar hacks, crosshair hacks, etc...

The bigger question should be: are you willing to punish legit players to catch some cheaters? And that's the heart of the argument with regard to all the hit-reg issues, since all the hit-reg bugs so far have been caused by overzealous cheat detection code.
Thanks given by:
hasnt this been talked about many many many times ? and also in great detail in many forums
Thanks given by:
(13 Dec 11, 12:35AM)Roflcopter Wrote: Some people get many less hits as a result of hit-reg issues while others experience almost no hit-loss. For instance, on hlin, Newbie and I took turns shooting at each other from very close range while the other stood still (i.e. in circumstances where we can be sure spread plays no part) and Newbie suffered no lost bullets while I suffered between one and two out of five lost bullets almost every time (with AR).

I approve this message. :D
It's not about skill after all, some computers were destined to suffer from this bug while others get advantage from it!
Just dont blame it on anti-cheat, without it we wouldn't be able to play 2 straight games on pubs, just like in 104.

Thanks given by:
If I may, I'd like to reclaim my thread for just a moment. It's apparent that I was ignorant of the aforementioned fix's true intent. It is also apparent that there is no consensus (at least in this thread) as to whether or not this will remedy the (persistent) problems I've been seeing on my server. Finally, it is apparent that this may be a client-side issue after all.

All of that in mind, I'd like to return to the last line of my original post: does anyone have a link to this controversial patch, so I can test it for myself? I've spent at least an hour a day since I posted this thread googling for the patch. Poetically, most of my results are links back to this thread.

Thanks again for all of the information, guys.
Thanks given by:
The patch is really simple. In source/src/serverevent.h at line 40 change
if(!gs.isalive(gamemillis) ||
       e.gun<GUN_KNIFE || e.gun>=NUMGUNS ||
       wait<gs.gunwait[e.gun] ||
       gs.mag[e.gun]<=0)
        return;
to
if(!gs.isalive(gamemillis) ||
       e.gun<GUN_KNIFE || e.gun>=NUMGUNS ||
       gs.mag[e.gun]<=0)
        return;
and recompile your server.

To save time on the last step, and so you don't need additional libraries required for building the client, you can build just the server with
cd ./ac/source/src
make server

The resulting server binary will not use the anticheat and will have the "attackmillis" fix.
Thanks given by:
I can't thank you enough, Roflcopter.
Cheers and </thread>
Thanks given by:
and </thread>
Thanks given by:
I'd just like to say that :
The anticheat isn't to blame in this case since i found the bug on a local server (no lag btw) i had patched (no anticheat).

By the way, the anticheat will NEVER prevent all kinds of cheating. But you can't be serious when you say it didn't improve the situation.
</thread>
Thanks given by: