Bot Waypoints
Hi all,

I couldn't find the documentation I wanted on bot waypoints -- specifically how bots actually treat them.

For example, I've observed the following:

1. Bots are okay straying from waypoints to collect a powerup or because of evasive action.

2. Bots don't seem to compute a path to the enemy base but rather wander the waypoints until confrontation

3. A waypoint with a one-way path end will still attract bots if there are no other waypoints

4. Bots seem to almost always choose the shortest path to another waypoint when faced with forked paths.

I was just hoping for some comments from a dev or anyone qualified to describe how bots decide on paths/etc. I have no trouble actually putting the paths/waypoints.

I tried to post this days ago and accidentally closed the tab and lost my text. I was frustrated and didn't care to type it again that day. I've since obtained Lazarus for Firefox and love it.
Thanks given by:
Btw, easiest way to make waypoints, is to use the floodwaypoint command (or something like that).

I dont know too much about how it actually works.
Thanks given by:
Are you referring to the one that adds them when you walk around? I've heard of it. I just bind my mouse buttons to addwp, delwp, and the two-way path commands, start and end.
Thanks given by:
No he doesn't, the floodwaypoint command is used to automatically generate bot waypoints across the map, "flooding" the map with them.
Thanks given by:
(28 Nov 11, 12:28AM)Viper Wrote: No he doesn't, the floodwaypoint command is used to automatically generate bot waypoints across the map, "flooding" the map with them.

I am aware of that, too. It's also what happens by default. I am asking about manual placement. There is a command that adds waypoints when you walk around, too.

Edit: The command is autowp I thought that was it earlier, then thought that was the command to put an auto-connecting waypoint.

I'm looking for advice on optimal placement, not easiest placement, though it is a neat command.
Thanks given by:
Waypoint flooding will be, until the bots are smarter, your optimal placement.

No joke.

I feel your pain.
Thanks given by:
It is... a fail.

Also we can heard DarKnoT speaking with Brett in the background xD
Thanks given by:
Now, if we make that bot run around in circles on ac_douze (around the top) We've got the start of a good bot.
Thanks given by:
A robot dance! xD
Thanks given by:
(28 Nov 11, 06:15PM).ExodusS* Wrote: A robot dance! xD
Every day i'm shuffling!

Thanks given by:
Well, I noticed if two waypoints are connected without any forks, the bot follows the path no matter how long it is to a different waypoint.

I have an idea, maybe flood the map with equally spaced waypoints first, and then delete some to keep them focused on the main areas.
Thanks given by:
(28 Nov 11, 06:46PM)MykeGregory Wrote:
(28 Nov 11, 06:15PM).ExodusS* Wrote: A robot dance! xD
Every day i'm shuffling!

Every day i'm [Image: tbager.gif?dateline=1297721136]ing!

Thanks given by:
Please tell me I wasn't the only one who checked the video to see the post date and version :>
Thanks given by:
(29 Nov 11, 12:54AM)Ronald_Reagan Wrote: Please tell me I wasn't the only one who checked the video to see the post date and version :>

Nope.
Thanks given by: