Fast Move [anticheat] Discussion
Hello all,

I think the dev team needs to look at this problem.

I neither play with any hacks, or intend on creating an unfair game, but I too often get banned from servers for using combination of repetitive jump and diagonal fast-walking on stairs (especially long stairs on mega/ultra tower maps).

I set up my own server on Amazon AWS ec2 (~=~ BUD ~=~; ip= 50.112.121.227) and I saw in my own logs:

"bud+gud fast move [anticheat]"

And... I don't cheat.

Maybe the threshold for checking speed cheating should be increased?

I've definitely seen REAL hackers who can zip around maps at invisible speeds and I had to ban a hacker who could play invisibly, but fast-diagonal walking up the stairs should not be considered hacking, especially because it's outlined in the wiki...

Thank you,
BUD
Thanks given by:
that is strafe running, u should post it in Cases of auto ban in AssaultCube1.1
Thanks given by:
Or maybe stop the major edge jumping on Twintower maps?

OR OR OR play more complex maps...nothing is wrong with that part of the anticheat...its just being abused by those types of maps
Thanks given by:
OR OR OR OR OR maybe we should be able to play the game honestly without triggering false positives in anticheat. :)
Thanks given by:
Stop playing the crap maps. Then you won't have this problem.
Thanks given by:
(27 Nov 11, 06:11AM)Orynge Wrote: Stop playing the crap maps. Then you won't have this problem.

it happens on any map, the ladder in the well on desert is an easy way to trigger a false positive
Thanks given by:
Really? I wanna see!
Thanks given by:
This happened to me in ac_complex playing in RK's server (Tuatara). Pretty sure someone has the demos lol, and it was funny too since it happened during a 1v1. Anticheat banned me for speedhack when I edge-jumped on the stairs to the left heading outof RVSF base.
After that even though the anti-cheat derp'd, everyone started to take the piss. :L
But yeah, Jamz knows about it too... Apparantly during the times when he hosted servers, I trigged anti-cheat more often than I thought... but not enough in a certain time frame (I think 3 times in 15 seconds) to get my ass banned from the server. (Could have used admin to get back in anyway, but still.. quite "lol" in my opinion)

Here is an extract from server logs:
Jul 11 09:22:08 ac-jamz AssaultCube[justice]: [118.93.146.32] HyPE|Fate logged in (default), AC: 1104|840
Jul 11 09:22:08 ac-jamz AssaultCube[justice]: loaded map packages/maps/servermaps/ac_2fast2furious.cgz, 6551 + 26940(5732) bytes.
Jul 11 09:22:08 ac-jamz AssaultCube[justice]: Map height density information for ac_2fast2furious: H = 13.97 V = 641557, A = 45936 and MA = 3354
Jul 11 09:22:08 ac-jamz AssaultCube[justice]:
Jul 11 09:22:08 ac-jamz AssaultCube[justice]: Game start: hunt the flag on ac_2fast2furious, 1 players, 6 minutes, mastermode 0, (map rev 0/6551, custom, 'getmap' prepared)
Jul 11 09:22:08 ac-jamz AssaultCube[justice]: Demo recording started.
Jul 11 09:22:17 ac-jamz AssaultCube[justice]: [118.93.146.32] HyPE|Fate says: 'hm'
Jul 11 09:22:18 ac-jamz AssaultCube[justice]: [118.93.146.32] HyPE|Fate got forced to pickup the flag
Jul 11 09:22:43 ac-jamz AssaultCube[justice]: [118.93.146.32] HyPE|Fate says: 'does this trigger the anticheat jamz?'
*At this point I start edge-jumping*
Jul 11 09:24:09 ac-jamz AssaultCube[justice]: [118.93.146.32] HyPE|Fate fast move [anticheat]
Jul 11 09:24:44 ac-jamz AssaultCube[justice]: [118.93.146.32] HyPE|Fate fast move [anticheat]
Jul 11 09:24:49 ac-jamz AssaultCube[justice]:
Jul 11 09:24:49 ac-jamz AssaultCube[justice]: Game status: hunt the flag on ac_2fast2furious, 4 minutes remaining, open, 1 clients
Jul 11 09:24:49 ac-jamz AssaultCube[justice]: cn name             team flag  score frag death tk ping role    host
Jul 11 09:24:49 ac-jamz AssaultCube[justice]:  0 HyPE|Fate        CLA     0      0    0     0  0  299 normal  118.93.146.32
Jul 11 09:24:49 ac-jamz AssaultCube[justice]: Team  CLA:  1 players,    0 frags,    0 flags
Jul 11 09:24:49 ac-jamz AssaultCube[justice]: Team RVSF:  0 players,    0 frags,    0 flags
Jul 11 09:24:49 ac-jamz AssaultCube[justice]:
Jul 11 09:24:49 ac-jamz AssaultCube[justice]: Status at 11-07-2011 09:24:49: 1 remote clients, 0.1 send, 0.6 rec (K/sec); Ping: #62|3495|160; CSL: #13|154|27 (bytes)
Jul 11 09:24:53 ac-jamz AssaultCube[justice]: [118.93.146.32] HyPE|Fate fast move [anticheat]

gg

Oh and take it easy on him because he likes playing crapmaps. When I first played AC, I only ever played on good ol' Headshot_City and ac_twintowers. And the map/mode I got tested for when joining my first clan was TOSOK on ac_twintowers. ;D
It takes some time to move from being a crapmap-loving-noob to being a crapmap-hating-player. Although I'm unsure as to what got me away from crapmaps.. I think it was Hi-Skill. :o
Thanks given by:
(27 Nov 11, 05:15AM)bud+gud Wrote: I neither play with any hacks, or intend on creating an unfair game, but I too often get banned from servers for using combination of repetitive jump and diagonal fast-walking on stairs (especially long stairs on mega/ultra tower maps).

First think you can do is avoid to play on these maps, which cause more false positives than the average.

By the way, if you don't get banned by the anticheat, but only notices warnings in the logs, than you shouldn't care; the anticheat is far from being absolutely reliable (and will never be) for multiple reasons. It can triggers warnings even though you don't cheat, but if you don't get banned (or if it just happened once) there's no reason to worry about it.
Thanks given by:
ok
this seriously IS a problem since it happened to me already also on werk and desert.... you can do it in ANY map which has a box in it so i guess all 26 official maps are acounted...

it makes every1 look bad cuz playing with default game makes you autoban (speedhack) and those guys on official maps with unlimited ammo, nades flying arround in edit mode server just ignores? it is a bit buggy if you ask me
Thanks given by:
I'm pretty sure Brahma is aware of just how buggy the anticheat is lol.
Thanks given by:
(27 Nov 11, 09:42AM)Milandrag Wrote: ok
this seriously IS a problem since it happened to me already also on werk and desert.... you can do it in ANY map which has a box in it so i guess all 26 official maps are acounted...

it makes every1 look bad cuz playing with default game makes you autoban (speedhack) and those guys on official maps with unlimited ammo, nades flying arround in edit mode server just ignores? it is a bit buggy if you ask me
i haven't seen any of this since 1.1 was released ?!
and yes maybe it can happen on all maps but it DOES happen more often on crap maps like megatowers having incredible stairs
Thanks given by:
yes it does....
but it can happen in every map if you want to.... sometimes i don't use strafe jump exactly for this reason....
Thanks given by:
(27 Nov 11, 09:42AM)Milandrag Wrote: and those guys on official maps with unlimited ammo
Once and for all: ammo is server-side. If you do have indications that someone worked around that, PM a developer. Otherwise, please refrain from making such claims.
Thanks given by:
But tempest, movement is client-side. Couldn't they move faster regardless?
Thanks given by:
(27 Nov 11, 05:27PM)tempest Wrote:
(27 Nov 11, 09:42AM)Milandrag Wrote: and those guys on official maps with unlimited ammo
Once and for all: ammo is server-side. If you do have indications that someone worked around that, PM a developer. Otherwise, please refrain from making such claims.

it was just an example of what hacks can do since we have an anti-cheat which is not working as it should (no offence brahma i know you spent lots of time on it)
Thanks given by:
(27 Nov 11, 05:39PM)Viper Wrote: But tempest, movement is client-side. Couldn't they move faster regardless?
I was talking about ammo specifically. Of course they could move faster, and that's one of the things anticheat is supposed to prevent.

(27 Nov 11, 08:36PM)Milandrag Wrote: it was just an example of what hacks can do since we have an anti-cheat which is not working as it should (no offence brahma i know you spent lots of time on it
Ammo checks have been there since 1.0 at least. If you're trying to make a point, find a better example ;)
Obviously, no anti-cheat can ever be perfect, and I'd say the current one works quite well. One of the problems is that apparently it wasn't well tested with the new movement techniques (edge-jumping etc.), but that can and hopefully will be fixed.
Thanks given by:
People don't seem to remember just how cheat-infested 1.0 was.
The sheer numbers of cheaters cut down by the anticheat is impressive, and I dare anyone to do a better job.
Thanks given by:
ac_2fast2furious a crap map? seriously dude
Thanks given by:
I'm fine with the anticheat in general. But it has failed to actually catch the guys who can run at invisible speeds and it is banning me from my own server for "weird client behavior"

I think increasing the threshold for the speed is the way to fix this. The usual hackers are gonna continue to move at light speeds...
Thanks given by:
Off topic, but...
(27 Nov 11, 11:34PM)sniperz Wrote: ac_2fast2furious a crap map? seriously dude
"...he likes playing crapmaps..." referred to the OP, bud+gud, who was playing on mega or ultratowers maps. When Fate said he "got...away from crapmaps", I don't think he was talking about as recently as July.

bud+gud, you're right, but hyperbole isn't going to help. "invisible speeds" and "light speeds"? Really? I'm sure the top coders AC has to offer will be considering this problem as I type...
Thanks given by: