[Mapmodels] Bow window
Still on Beta stage...

I pretty much like the idea of being able to extrude the gaming area horizontally in space, which is atm only feasible using the platform and even then adding walls is not always possible, with this sort of mapmodel all what is needed is some clipping...

I am exposing it here as a beta version because I have the feeling I am missing something, that it could be somehow improved but tbh I am stuck so if you folks could give me ideas and feedback that'll be great.

Download bow window (beta)

[Image: bw_1_1321361299.png]
Thanks given by:
Best Mapmodel livetime award!
[Image: me-gusta.png]

Edit: Maybe you mean the windows? Make them visible through!
What about alphatest & cullface ;)
Thanks given by:
Unclipable, but that's look very strange, i think you should use another textures.
Btw: the model isn't bad at all.
Thanks given by:
AAAAAAAAAAW
Me gustah!
Thanks given by:
(15 Nov 11, 03:35PM)Dementium4ever Wrote: [Image: me-gusta.png]

(15 Nov 11, 06:44PM)Andrez Wrote: Me gustah!

F1. But i can imagine it being a future camping spot!
How 'deep' does it go?
(Thats what she said... when i teabbagged her.. acctually she said "mrphmffmrph" but thats a different story.)
Thanks given by:
(15 Nov 11, 06:08PM).ExodusS* Wrote: Unclipable, but that's look very strange, i think you should use another textures.
Btw: the model isn't bad at all.

It is clipable although a right pain in the a***, maybe for convenience I should make the roof plain flat, it will lose some charm but it'll be easier to handle.

About textures I am already on the case, I think about using official brickwall textures so it can blend into the 'décor'.

(15 Nov 11, 06:52PM)MykeGregory Wrote: F1. But i can imagine it being a future camping spot!
How 'deep' does it go?

Still scared of campers? Just shove a nade in there and that's it.
It's (inside floor size) precisely 8 x 16 cubes.

Thanks given by:
(15 Nov 11, 07:16PM)DES|Cleaner Wrote: About textures I am already on the case, I think about using official brickwall textures so it can blend into the 'décor'.
Could you use copies of the actual files themselves (i.e. don't combine them into one new file) so that people can easily customize the look to fit any map by using the same textures they have in their map (or similar ones)?

(15 Nov 11, 07:16PM)DES|Cleaner Wrote:
(15 Nov 11, 06:52PM)MykeGregory Wrote: F1. But i can imagine it being a future camping spot!
How 'deep' does it go?

Still scared of campers? Just shove a nade in there and that's it.
It's (inside floor size) precisely 8 x 16 cubes.

Not so helpful when your nades are as powerful as a water balloon :P
jk, I'm just making a joke about the nades, the size should be fine
Thanks given by:
(15 Nov 11, 07:33PM)Lantry Wrote: Could you use copies of the actual files themselves (i.e. don't combine them into one new file) so that people can easily customize the look to fit any map by using the same textures they have in their map (or similar ones)?
This is possible but this means having several (at least two) mapmodels in one.

About the nades, water balloons sounds about right ;)
Thanks given by:
I don't know much about modeling, but can't you specify multiple files in the .cfg file?
Thanks given by:
(16 Nov 11, 12:54AM)Lantry Wrote: I don't know much about modeling, but can't you specify multiple files in the .cfg file?
It is probably feasible since the player and the weapon are two different entities but move along together but I suppose this part is scripted.

tbh I'm not sure so I will let the Devs answer that question for us.

Thanks given by:
As far as I know, there's no way to specify multiple skins for one model. Changing the model's attached skin file is only possible as long as there's only one. At least that's what I've come across, when trying something like this myself, way back earlier this year.

Therefore, Cleaner, you're right. You would need to make each part seperated, with one skin used in order to allow for chaning the texture used. Which will make things quite unconvinient I guess, though isn't such a big deal in my opinion. Just have a look at the "hanging ladder", which also needs to be assambeld by the mapper.

Another issue with rather huge models is, that those could cause rendering issues. Like they happen to dissapear, despite being in view. Though, I only read this once and never really experienced this myself.

However, I'm afraid this kind of model is a little bit too specific, regardless having it's skin change-able or not. If there's a certain map, which kind of screams for such addition, then of course go for it and you won't need to care about the textures anymore.

If you wan't something more general usable, then I recommend to rather make sort of wall elements, which can be arranged as seen fit. Something lego-like. For instance, a roof, a piece of wall, a piece of wall with window, a floor and so on.

HTH

Thanks given by:
Uhm, toca seems to have done something like this - I imagine using seperated "meshes" (is that blender-talk or engine-talk??). Look at packages/models/mapmodels/toca/ceilingfan/md3.cfg:
md3load tris.md3
md3skin base skin.jpg
md3skin blades skin.jpg
md3anim mapmodel 1 29 23
Seems both base and blades use the same skin, but they don't have to.
Thanks given by:
@ Mr.Floppy, it is what is indeed expected...
Could be done with 2 mapmodels like one for the structure and one for the modifiable walls, the only thing to take care of would be not to move when adding them onto the map.

The issue about large mapmodels was about the wires from the electric poles if I remember well but they were quite long, although it could be reduced a little (like 6 x 12) 8 x 16 ain't that big after all, I did try it on every angle and with different setting and didn't noticed anything going wrong.

You are also right that it model is quite specific but it could have perfectly fit maps like jiba's ac_avenue... And regarding wall elements, decorations, holed floors and such I'm already on the case with items like these for example...

[Image: chemney.png]

(16 Nov 11, 01:02PM)flowtron Wrote: Uhm, toca seems to have done something like this - I imagine using seperated "meshes" (is that blender-talk or engine-talk??). Look at packages/models/mapmodels/toca/ceilingfan/md3.cfg:
md3load tris.md3
md3skin base skin.jpg
md3skin blades skin.jpg
md3anim mapmodel 1 29 23
This come because he kept two separate "groups" base and blades but the cfg file tells them to use skin.jpg...

One other way around the problem would be to make different skins to choose from.

Thanks given by:
(16 Nov 11, 01:05PM)DES|Cleaner Wrote: One other way around the problem would be to make different skins to choose from.

Don't go to all that trouble just for me XD I probably won't ever use your mapmodel (because I'm not a mapper) I was just suggesting something to improve it.
Thanks given by:
(16 Nov 11, 01:05PM)DES|Cleaner Wrote: [...]

(16 Nov 11, 01:02PM)flowtron Wrote: Uhm, toca seems to have done something like this [..]

This come because he kept two separate "groups" base and blades but the cfg file tells them to use skin.jpg...

[...]

Actually, the problem here is, that you can have seperated skins for one model, but you only can edit how they will be applied right in the model's config. There's no way to get this editted along the map's config. Therefore's it's useless for mappers.

By the way, I never really understood why it was neccesary to use seperated groups and/or skin-files for a rather simple md2/3 model. Sure, while developing it comes in handy on lots of occasions, but once it's finished you should try to keep the stuff as simple as possible, read in one skin-file, imo.

I always condsidered this to be (sorry) lame workarounds or (again, sorry) bad style. If there's something about I may have not realized yet, please tell me! :)
Thanks given by:
If there were two separate mapmodels meant to cooperate in a specific way (but have separate textures), they could be placed as though they were a single mapmodel, using a script that ties them together.
Thanks given by:
(15 Nov 11, 07:16PM)DES|Cleaner Wrote:
How 'deep' does it go?

Still scared of campers?...
NEVARH!

Thanks given by: