Editing Maprestriction = legal?
I am just wondering.

I am planning on learning how to script in C++ so I can lower map restrictions slightly so it can be more creative in my server :/
No flaming and no trolling in here also...
Thanks given by:
If that was possible I expect everyone would do it to make the crappy maps that spawn in the world of AC. It's not like they're stopping us from making a decent map! So, either work your way around them (probably resulting in a more appreciated map) or learn to hax and make yourself a lovely twin towers map by having a huge empty space to average out the ceiling height
Thanks given by:
> script in C++
that's no longer scripting

i am sure if you dug around in code, you'd find the functions that check the map for requirements. Just comment the function calls out to get rid of the checks, or modify the functions themselves to lower the thresholds. This change wouldn't modify the gameplay, so it would be "legal", i suppose.
Thanks given by:
If you modify a server, you must make sure it doesn't register with the MS unless you change the protocol, etc, as well.
Thanks given by:
AFAIK this would not be allowed. If it was many servers would be restriction-less, which would defeat the purpose of adding them to begin with.
Thanks given by:
There is enough space for creation as it is, try to explore every part of it.
Thanks given by:
Bukz, I am not removing map restricition. I am editing itv by expanding and shrinking the maprestrictions to make people make more interseting maps.

Snoosnoo, lucky for you, I am not @camper or twintowers guy, IN FACT, I am trying to find the way to add strict map restrictions that will kill off the @camper and twintowers and allowed Gema maps to thrive.
Thanks given by:
Fun fact, map restrictions are client side as well!
Thanks given by:
Even editing them would be a no-no AFAIK. I guess if you did it for personal use and didn't distribute it, you may be allowed. I think jamz/flowtron/Brahma will have the final say.
Thanks given by:
This might be a silly question, but if bugboy doesn't register his server on the MS, surely this is allowed?
Thanks given by:
Yes, we can't control what happens on servers outside of the public masterserver.
Thanks given by:
(27 Oct 11, 11:11PM)Bukz Wrote: Yes, we can't control what happens on servers outside of the public masterserver.

does that mean I can run a private ezjemville/dust2 server without getting blacklisted?
Thanks given by:
Basically yea. Just don't register with the default masterserver. :p
Thanks given by: