texture glitch - memory corruption occured - why?
I think Ive played a lot of games on ac_desert but its the first time Ive seen it so, as I love to ask, I ask, asking : Why?
[Image: wzCNn.jpg]
Thanks given by:
WTF, i've never seen that before, that is sooo weird, maybe it should go on failblog xD
Thanks given by:
I had something similar a while ago. only seen it on the barrels in AC_Toxic once.

[Image: textureglitch.png]
My Thread i made for this issue...
Thanks given by:
It's happens when you minimize then restore AC using ALT+TAB?
Thanks given by:
Woa, at the first screen i thought he changed the texture, but the second...wtf a crypted game? :D
Thanks given by:
That first pic has the glitch on a single floor texture, on every cube that tries to display it.
Perhaps some operation was performed (like alt+tab) that corrupted that memory slot or overburdened your graphics card.

not heightfield
Thanks given by:
CLA PLANT NESBOMB FOR RVSF BASE? NOES

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US
Thanks given by:
8bit its trying to take over again
Thanks given by:
@samsattF & V-Man Well the funny thing is I never do alt+tab or press windows key as it always completely freezes my game (it stays toggling between map and normal screen in a strobophonic way). I use omega radeon drivers for my 9600 series and that should be the reason I´m experimenting that issue.
But I never had this other problem before and I´m sure I wont be having it anytime soon either :).
Thanks given by:
Well, i have never EVER seen that.
Thanks given by:
Holy heck, just noticed your WVT and EVT.
Did you have /toggleocull switched wrong for gameplay or something?
Thanks given by:
@V-Man Ok, I cant stress enough how big a n00b I am in technological terms, I dont know what WVT and EVT stand for nor I know why I have that window displayed. I just saw the option in the menu and activated it. I´ve tryed the "improve FPS" thinggy with no effect whatsoever (maybe an increase of 1 or 2) and yes I did notice this WVT and EVT numbers get enormous a lot of times (mostly when I move) but I dont know how that effects gameplay. I think ill be changing my name to n00bmuaddibKA soon...
Thanks given by:
The WVT seems normal. The EVT is almost twice as much as mine: 6500-4500

iirc the EVT depends on models, so it should be consistant across machines?
Thanks given by:
The abbreviations are "explained" here: CubeScript: getEngineState. wvt is really where model-vertices are counted, but shadows and such go into evt.
Thanks given by:
EVT is also affected by "extra" HUD things such as text.
/toggleocull switches between occlusion culling and not culling -- meaning, specifically, that the engine decides to (or not to) render areas that you wouldn't be able to see due to the area being behind a "solid."
* V-Man is reminded of another feature request that needs to go in the ideas thread

Long story short, if you accidentally turned off occlusion culling, your poor computer is trying to render the entire map -- whether you're looking at it or not. I could see this causing issues on graphics cards with a history of glitches.
Thanks given by:
Ahh, I more or less understand now. Gotta say I just today bought a new computer, an AMD Athlon 64 x2 with a 512 card and 3 gb of ddr2 ram so I expect this not to happen again! Thanks!
Thanks given by:
(22 Oct 11, 01:18PM)V-Man Wrote: ...Long story short, if you accidentally turned off occlusion culling, your poor computer is trying to render the entire map -- whether you're looking at it or not...

Wait wait, hold on. So if you cant see it, it dousnt exist? seriously?
I thought it has to render the whole map anyway.
Thanks given by:
That's the reason for using solid 'f' walls: to tell the engine what to not render.
Thanks given by:
Uhm, Frogulis - that's not quite right. For starters MykeGregory: Of course the rendering of unseen bits is dropped, this speeds up the process. That bit is purely mathematical - imagine standing in the center of the skybox, depending on which way you're pointing you'll not be able to see certain sides of this box .. this can be calculated and thus the drawing of (at least) one quad can be dropped for this 6-quad object.
What Frogulis probably meant are called "visual occluders", they work hand-in-hand with the knowledge of the maths mentioned above. Mappers - of indoor engines - have always had to think about how their map might be less of a strain on the engine. Hourences has written something about occluders in UE1, it's the best (and with most pictures) I could find ATM - there should be more on this topic "out there". So, a single solid cube doesn't help, but if you have the old-school S-curve (where one end can't see the other) or other combos of geometry placed with some plan - that'll help bring down the mapstats for each area.
Thanks given by:
(23 Oct 11, 07:21AM)MykeGregory Wrote: Wait wait, hold on. So if you cant see it, it dousnt exist? seriously?
I thought it has to render the whole map anyway.

More accurately, if you aren't looking at it, the engine doesn't bother rendering it at that moment.
Thanks given by:
(23 Oct 11, 09:53PM)V-Man Wrote: More accurately, if you aren't looking at it, the engine doesn't bother rendering it at that moment.
Isn't that bleedin' smart? An engine that bothers or not! Spooky!

Thanks given by:
It also knows that sometimes you like to change your name to "SparkleFairyMotion" and play pf on rifle@camper :O
(and it isn't happy)
Thanks given by:
[Image: ceiling-cat-9.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I've seen this before on mapmodels. Also my radar is always messed up. It displays lots of random textures and then the actual map comes up on a side of the skymap or somewhere random.
Thanks given by:
(25 Oct 11, 10:14AM)V-Man Wrote: [Image: ceiling-cat-9.jpg]

camphack
Thanks given by: