HIgh Resultion Explosion Texture
Hi their person who is reading this possibly either highly interesting or highly boring go into your closet and cry thread.
I was playying assault cube recently and i noticed that the explosion image is a little low-rez for my taste so I went and made completly new one with 4x the resultion of the origonal one.(Okay maybe a bit of overkill doing that.)

A few pictures of it ingame.
[Image: acf582375604779f0b3c.jpg]
[Image: 6d47430e58ead9a9e9a7.jpg]
[Image: fee65cde042a79bc972f.jpg]
[Image: d4e5ce35ed79bcf24271.jpg]
The texture itself.
http://www.mediafire.com/?9exf6ytmwmh3cin
So what do you think of it?

Feel free to use it for whatever.
Thanks given by:
1.1.1! 1.1.1! 1.1.1!
Have any pictures of the 'old' one to compare it to?

by the way, is there anyway to change the acctual SIZE of the explosion.
cos the blast radius of a grenade needs to be more than knee hieght to convince me.
Thanks given by:
No problem.
Here you go, and the old one starts to get blury the closer you get to it this one will stay sharp up close.
[Image: 20111020_05_30_39_ac_douze_TDM.jpg]

Mod Edit: fixed image link.
Thanks given by:
(20 Oct 11, 06:27AM)MykeGregory Wrote: 1.1.1! 1.1.1! 1.1.1!

Myke, AC was made for crappy computers...
Thanks given by:
(20 Oct 11, 11:20AM)Orynge Wrote:
(20 Oct 11, 06:27AM)MykeGregory Wrote: 1.1.1! 1.1.1! 1.1.1!

Myke, AC was made for crappy computers...

Battlefield 3 PS3 Graphics gogogo AC!
Kill Orynge's computer more. :D

jk xD
Thanks given by:
crappy computers stopped working/Should have stopped working long ago. xD
Lets get into the 21st century here. we should be taking advantage of mods like these!
Thanks given by:
well i like it, shouldnt we offer a hi res option for those who can take advantage of it, doesnt mean we have to abandon the low res low spec computer brigade just make it an option!
Thanks given by:
Do you really think that 10 years old computer can run AssaultCube now?
Thanks given by:
Mine does. :-P
Thanks given by:
And if you want high res why not just add it your self?
Thanks given by:
Adding hi-res textures is already on the todo list, the problem is that the small download size of AC wouldn't be so small after packaging them. tempest or someone had come up with an idea about only needing the hi-res texture, and having the code scale them down to low-res without any performance loss - this would ideally be the best way to implement it IMO. The package size of AC would still increase, but not nearly as much as having two versions of each texture.

Of course, there is nothing stopping people from packaging hi-res replacement textures as a mod and distributing it to the public - sure it's not as convenient but it would work nonetheless.
Thanks given by:
(20 Oct 11, 07:34PM)DES|OpenSource Wrote: And if you want high res why not just add it your self?
Not everyone knows how to do that I think is what he is getting at ;). Btw it goes in your misc folder in packages folder of your AC directory.
Thanks given by:
(20 Oct 11, 10:39PM)Bukz Wrote: Adding hi-res textures is already on the todo list, the problem is that the small download size of AC wouldn't be so small after packaging them. tempest or someone had come up with an idea about only needing the hi-res texture, and having the code scale them down to low-res without any performance loss - this would ideally be the best way to implement it IMO. The package size of AC would still increase, but not nearly as much as having two versions of each texture.

Of course, there is nothing stopping people from packaging hi-res replacement textures as a mod and distributing it to the public - sure it's not as convenient but it would work nonetheless.

Instead of having Hd textures with the original version,Why not make a regular and a Hd version of 1.1.1 available to download.
Thanks given by:
If they dont know they can ask here, on irc or read the docs. :)

If this game gonna change from running on old hardware to the all new stuff i guess a lot of people will have to stop playing it.

So i hope devs will keep that in mind and at least give a heads-up a year before this will happen so some of us can start saving up to get a new computer.

Shit, i got bills to pay that is more important then messing around with new hardware.
Thanks given by:
AC has always catered to the low-end machines, and will continue to do so. You can sleep comfortably tonight knowing that it won't change, anytime soon anyways. ;)

@Think3r: because people are not willing to fetch downloads from 3rd party sources. Like I said the method tempest had come up with is best, because there would be no performance loss, just a bigger download size.
Thanks given by:
For heaven sake folks this has been discussed many many many time before... The original basic package needs to remain as lightweight as possible, you then have Quadropolis and AKIMBO as hosts for additional material anyone can come and pick up.

Thanks given by:
(21 Oct 11, 04:57AM)DES|Cleaner Wrote: For heaven sake folks this has been discussed many many many time before... The original basic package needs to remain as lightweight as possible, you then have Quadropolis and AKIMBO as hosts for additional material anyone can come and pick up.
I'm not even sure what they are doing talking about it.... But so long as they are. Why would it need to remain as lightweight as possible? The size of the files in the package do not really matter as long as the large High-Rez ones are not being loaded up by the game for low-end machines. At most I can see high-rez textures adding a few hundred MB to the game a full FPS from 8 years ago will pack in at over 2 GB and one these days will pack in at a lovely 10GB. So it is still quite lightwaight compared to other games.

Thanks given by:
Er, hi-res replacement textures won't add /that/ much to the package. It would double, maybe triple - sure, but even I could still download that in one night. Either way we're getting a bit off-topic here, this is about SleepKiller's single texture - not sure how this discussion spun out of control like this - my apologies if I started it. :p

Just remember that this is on the todo list and it will NOT ruin AC for low-end machines.
Thanks given by:
(20 Oct 11, 06:56PM).ExodusS* Wrote: Do you really think that 10 years old computer can run AssaultCube now?

My 10-year-old computer averages 65 FPS. :|
Thanks given by:
(20 Oct 11, 11:30PM)Think3r Wrote: Instead of having Hd textures with the original version,Why not make a regular and a Hd version of 1.1.1 available to download.

Surely that's a better option than expanding the lower res option.
Thanks given by:
(21 Oct 11, 08:02AM)Snoosnoo Wrote:
(20 Oct 11, 11:30PM)Think3r Wrote: Instead of having Hd textures with the original version,Why not make a regular and a Hd version of 1.1.1 available to download.

Surely that's a better option than expanding the lower res option.

Not necessarily... And don't call me Shirley!
Thanks given by:
(22 Oct 11, 12:52AM)Viper Wrote: And don't call me Shirley!

<3
Thanks given by: