I Need Beta Testers! (Mappers Preferred)
LOL so true
Thanks given by:
I am completely stuck in the middle on this

Pros:
I could see how it could get someone interested in mapping. I could even see how it could cut down on the length of time it would take to make a map. Both are quality features of such a thing. I do know you would have to do a lot of coding for such a thing to work also, and for that I give you credit to patience and respect to contributing in such a way.

now, to the other side of things

Cons:
This could create a string of maps. I know by no means does such a creation have to be used, or play the products it produces, but this could be another example for someone to think "quantity over quality". I see someone randomly generating a bunch of maps and then releasing them as is.

There are good and bad things to come from such a thing, as such are most things in life. Whichever case it may be, it obviously has been loads of work for you to make, so for that, I think we should atleast give you credit for trying to make something handy and having the patience to do so.
Thanks given by:
People don't need any automatic tool to put no effort into their maps.
Thanks given by:
that is very true tempest, there are a lot of no effort maps, but if you have a tool that does so, you could spam make them quicker :P

(i still stand by my previous post)
Thanks given by:
Well, usually maps that have no effort put into them die out. Unless they follow the popular themes (HSS, TT, @C). This will probably have a server running these maps (like the last map gen), however that is one server. It also is more entertaining for me to play on a few randomly generated maps because they are just way bizarre.

I doubt these maps would ever get "released", ie Akimbo, Quad, or here. For them to be released, they would probably have to be redone a fair amount, as was such the original intentions of the script.
Thanks given by:
There was a server running raw terrain-generated maps?? 9_9
Thanks given by:
I gave you screenies and a PM about it :>
Thanks given by:
that?
That was server-generated?
I thought you'd made a map, uploaded it, and played it once or twice XD
XD!
Thanks given by:
"This will probably have a server running these maps (like the last map gen), however that is one server."

It wasn't server generated, but the maprot consisted of ~10 of these maps.
Thanks given by:
As I said I too respect the work and perseverance from V-Man put towards it and understand the pros but tbh I would have preferred to see this amount of efforts put onto something else.

Anyhow I have a few more questions about "RGM" (Random Generated Map)...

Why would V-Man bother any further if his work is not to be allowed?

What would ever prevent people releasing RGM material in blunt/raw version?

Since it's going to be used anyway wouldn't it be better for me to add a RGM section on AKIMBO so that we can also monitor the evolution of the project?(*)

(*) Yes, I did say I wouldn't not help to the making of this project but nor will I go against it.

Thanks given by:
(05 Oct 11, 08:49AM)DES|Cleaner Wrote: Why would V-Man bother any further if his work is not to be allowed?
Nobody seems to be stopping me... /:D
But if you mean preventing any raw RGM maps from coming onto servers, I kind of like that idea. That would give people even more motivation to turn them into real maps.

Quote:What would ever prevent people releasing RGM material in blunt/raw version?
Whatever strange force it is that keeps people from releasing other crap maps (i.e., some people will probably try, but they will not gain respect in doing so, so it won't be prevented completely, but it will be limited).

Quote:Since it's going to be used anyway wouldn't it be better for me to add a RGM section on AKIMBO so that we can also monitor the evolution of the project?
If you really feel it'll get that big, that might make sense. But honestly I don't think that simply having a randomizer will prompt people to start spamming raw RGM maps wholesale, except 1) for trolling purposes or 2) out of a genuine inability to handle an unlimited number of potential maps. In either case, a cursory review of the raw RGM map will show what it is and give cause to remove it from Akimbo if you so desire.

If you can make one randomized map, you can make a hundred, or a thousand, or a hundred thousand; though, heaven forbid anyone should waste that much time, storage, and processing power. Better to work on one and make it better than the other ninety-nine thousand nine hundred ninety-nine.

Hypothetical number fixed to please the hypothetical gods of mathematics
Thanks given by:
(05 Oct 11, 02:54PM)V-Man Wrote: If you can make one randomized map, you can make a hundred, or a thousand, or a hundred thousand; though, heaven forbid anyone should waste that much time, storage, and processing power. Better to work on one and make it better than the other 99 thousand.
A bit of bad math there for a developer like you V-man. :-P
Thanks given by:
Maybe use rndvdelta for sand and snow textures?
Thanks given by:
Noted.
Thanks given by:
@ V-Man,

As for GEMAs some will see the funny side of it so there won't be no stopping people putting RGM onto servers, thus you only have two options here... either introducing a device to the masterserver detecting RGMs or allowing dedicated servers to display them (which imo will also be a way to monitor progress).

About adding a RGM section on AKIMBO, it wasn't about having a shit load of raw maps uploaded (GEMAs aren't tolerated either) but more about decent maps with a RGM skeleton, the purpose of it is for you to see what is coming out of it and be able to adjust your script accordingly.

As you said, nobody is stopping you and little by little this will surely become something "big".
Thanks given by:
A bunch of good maps don't even get replied to on akimbo anyways. ac_metro/ac_rebel for a recent example. Does it matter if a few pop up that aren't as nice? :p

The RGM's aren't very good, I doubt that anyone would just go spamming RGM's.
And if they do, the comments will tell them how bad the map is, so they will know what and how to improve. And if the person doesn't know how to map enough that they just release RGM's as their own, they probably don't know how to install the script in the first place.

<3 V-Man
Thanks given by:
Okay boys and girls!
I have updated the maptools and mapgen config files to support the new multiple selection feature in SVN 6662.
I have also compiled a binary for Windows (I used Windows 7 64-bit, not sure if that affects it).

http://www.fileden.com/files/2011/9/28/3...206662.zip
http://www.akimbo.in/files/index.php?act=view&id=1067
http://www.akimbo.in/files/index.php?act=view&id=1068

The new version of mapgen now applies rndvdelta to "outside" rooms. :D
Maptools now has "ruination", "rndcrate", "door", and "floppyspam" commands among several others. Try them out!
(demonstration GIFs here)

Please continue testing these scripts and alert me to any errors or unexpected behavior.
Thanks!
Thanks given by:
it will probably work for me cause i have win 7 64bit
Thanks given by:
Gif Previews Wrote:Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /files/2011/9/28/3201776/maptools teaser.zip on this server.

You trollin' me, bro?
Thanks given by:
D:
Maintenance update...
Maintenance update
We appreciate your continued patience. As many are aware - we have been making large strides over the past months to increase the speed and efficiency of the Fileden system while simultaneously working to migrate it over to the new platform. However, this process provided to be more challenging and thus taking more time than we initially anticipated.

Beginning Thursday December 1, 2011 we will begin a phased approached to incrementally providing access to account data. Though the entire process will take approximately 4-7 days to complete all phases, a vast majority will have access in the next 24-48 hours.

We apologize for the inconvenience and look forward to having FileDen.com back up to 100% as soon as possible.

Sincerely,

The Entire FileDen Team
Thanks given by:
Also, I didn't see this thread until you linked me. I'm a mapper :x
I guess I'll have to get that new exe though.

For indoors with the semi-dark/industrial them AC has, indoor areas are shades or grey, below 200RGB.

Desert maps have more red in the lights.

I thought there was a curtexture...

edit:
Quote:This will, rather, give the astute mapper a good starting place, or overcome mapper\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s block.
Lulz.
Thanks given by: