developing mod package installs / edit source code ? / 3DMapperCube idea
want to make a modified game program for all ages non violent built on assaultcube engine where the maps will be compatible with A.C. maybe be more sports oriented non kill peaceful all ages. promise to include or attach original source code..true to open source. also any comments on experience related to modifying assault cube and creating a new package installation would be appreciated. thinking of calling this project 3DMAPPERCUBE. is the source code edited or is it just a mod ?
Thanks given by:
Nope. The source is something of a journey to figure out.
Thanks given by:
(07 Sep 11, 03:23AM)Ronald_Reagan Wrote: Nope. The source is something of a journey to figure out.

Don't Stop Believing though, mikebefore.

Internetz to those who get the reference
Thanks given by:
If you Never Walk Away, and take The Journey, Faithfully, you'll be able to have the source code Any Way You Want It, Anytime. It's really quite Sweet and Simple once you get familiar with it. It's never Too Late to start, even After All These Years.
Thanks given by:
Also, I am intrigued. I may be able to help you. PM me with your current thoughts.
Thanks given by:
Since AC is based off the cubeengine (cube, not sauerbraten!) you might want to start with that yourself, feel free to borrow functions as needed - the source is free to be reused (licenses needs to be observed though (zlib and AC-specific-license information)). AssaultCube contains so many "hacks" (quick-n-dirty coding, not the white/black-hat kind!) you'll probably fare better that way, although it's obviously a longer way till you have something to show for your efforts. Maybe a proof-of-concept modded off AC to entince people like Ronald_Reagan could make a lot of sense though too ;-)
Regarding your request for a modding-howto - there's none that concerns itself with AC specifically, or the pretty much deprecated cube1-code - AFAIK only AC still uses it. But the cubeengine-community has some information (of which I wrote quite a bit): YMMV - those pages are centered on sauerbraten, so you'll have to mix-and-match; feel free to request AC-wiki editor privileges if you want to start providing the community with the insights you've accumulated on your project!!
Thanks given by:
BTW, I'm pretty sure there is no guide so there are less cheats.
Thanks given by:
At this point, cheats are coming from people who know what they are doing I think :P

Anti-cheat removes most of the easy to make cheats.
Thanks given by:
Nice idea... I was thinking about this another day.
It is crucial to make a "development manual"... It would help new developers to keep in the trails of the "project essence", and helping noobs (like me) to NOT mess with the code. :)

Anyway, personally, it would be a case of "tmi", and I would not read it :P

Also, about the anticheats, I am starting to feeling like "you are doing it wrong".
We should attack the cheat problem in the roots of the game... and not in the effect. But this demands to touch some basic things (I am not talking in "change gameplay"). And touching the basics means AC 2.0, imho.

Thanks given by:
so it would be a guide to developing a game based off of what's already accomplished in this game...especially the great anti-cheat. (i started playing Red Eclipse but once i saw it had the hackers i went right back to A.C.)

an idea of mine is to have a game called 3DMapperCube. so when i go to show my family what i've been doing with all my free time I can show them without them worrying about the next generation of Befores getting influenced for possible future violence against their elders. (maybe include some form of ctf or hide and seek lol) I'd still go home and play the real Assault Cube and all the maps would be compatible.

what would it take to even change the desktop icon or the intro name/image? would i need to learn how to make an installation program too ?

the whole learning process will probably take up most of my winter months. thanks again for everyone's helpful response.

Thanks given by:
The splashscreen is just the image packages/misc/startscreen.png ;-)
For providing a proper distribution of your game you should indeed have a windows-installer and Mac-packaging is a very obscure and arcane matter - we're all very grateful for wahnfred for providing this hard-to-come-by service to the community! - but linuxers usually don't get squiggy with simply extracting a tar-ball .. and during construction/testing you might even get away with a simple ZIP for Windows-users too.
Thanks given by:
<3 wahnfred, although he is quite hard to get ahold of.
Thanks given by:
(08 Sep 11, 08:34AM)flowtron Wrote: The splashscreen is just the image packages/misc/startscreen.png ;-)
For providing a proper distribution of your game you should indeed have a windows-installer and Mac-packaging is a very obscure and arcane matter - we're all very grateful for wahnfred for providing this hard-to-come-by service to the community! - but linuxers usually don't get squiggy with simply extracting a tar-ball .. and during construction/testing you might even get away with a simple ZIP for Windows-users too.

my first experiment will be to change something simple like a jpeg and then create a install package with a new name and see if it loads the way I changed it. I have a windows pc and linux(ubuntu). anyone familiar with the steps or websites or resources?
Thanks given by:
Well, packaging should actually be done when everything is release-ready, not at the beginning. That said, installers are reserved for the windows hold-my-hand world - on Linux, just drop everything into a zip or tar.gz and you're fine.
Thanks given by:
mikebefore: you need to put an informational-file into the package too though, that at least - saying you've based this off AssaultCube (and where to get the original) and listing exactly what you changed.
If you change stuff in the source-code you need to mark those sections clearly too - that's the basic deal of the licensing.
Thanks given by:
(10 Sep 11, 09:51AM)flowtron Wrote: mikebefore: you need to put an informational-file into the package too though, that at least - saying you've based this off AssaultCube (and where to get the original) and listing exactly what you changed.
If you change stuff in the source-code you need to mark those sections clearly too - that's the basic deal of the licensing.

I will include that on every modified install package. even the first experiment. assault cube will always get respect and credit. I won't abandon the game either. This is meant to be a mapping package learning experience. the next step after being a mapper. if I ever make money teaching 3d mapping in the future I would want to give a percent to the forefathers of assault cube while having a peaceful program for all ages. let me know any thoughts or concerns. thank you.
Thanks given by:
(09 Sep 11, 04:36PM)tempest Wrote: Well, packaging should actually be done when everything is release-ready, not at the beginning. That said, installers are reserved for the windows hold-my-hand world - on Linux, just drop everything into a zip or tar.gz and you're fine.

I still want to installpackage at the beginning just on my own computer to make sure I can do it... I won't post it up on sourceforge until a far advanced version is ready months later.
Thanks given by: