Different texture sizes - why? :( [Solved]
I assigned same texture to the cubes and mapmodel (platform),
but it appear with different scale (look at the screenshot). What a reason may be?

[Image: accubesvsmapmodels.jpg]

Sorry for my english

Thanks given by:
The floor texture (not platform) uses a 1x1 cube texture for each tile, while the platform uses a 2x2 cube texture for each tile. Also the direction in which you are facing when you place the mapmodel affects its orientation.
Thanks given by:
See if fiddling with /texturescale values gets a more uniform look.
And then report back here what value worked best.
Thanks given by:
IIRC /texturescale affects the whole game, and changing it could break all the other textures.
Thanks given by:
Mmmh. Interesting .. that this hasn't come up before seems strange!
I fiddled about a bit and the only halfways decent solution I could find was to have a texture of 384 x 256 pixels, simply tiled with the noctua/tiles/16tile12.jpg-original .. but this resulted in showing some skinning issues with the model itself - not all gridlines line up!
One side of the walkway was okay, the other seemed off by half (!) a pixel. The sides of the model itself are off by 2 or 4 pixels ..
.. basically I think this model was never meant for such textures - especially the model #1, which has those "feet" (or struts rather) on the bottom; a metallic texture or one w/o gridlines on itself, at least, should be used.
I see the point of having the crossing not look different than the rest of the walkway, but it seems this is not possible to do in a nice way .. unless some model/mapping-guru comes along and tells us all what n00bs we are and how to do it quickly and easily :-P
Ah - BTW - even though I just tiled the original onto the new canvas (by hand) and saved the JPG at 100% the resulting texture (even where it fits the geometry-texture) has a different look to it .. the effect you're looking for seems pretty much impossible to me at this point (gurus!?!?).
[Image: screenshotsbridgeskinpr.png]
Screenshots.Bridgeskin.problems.png
Thanks given by:
What is interesting, that when i did the same earlier in my other map (but with other texture - some asphalt) - all was ok.

[Image: accubesvsmapmodels2.jpg]

(06 Sep 11, 09:26PM)Viper Wrote: The floor texture (not platform) uses a 1x1 cube texture for each tile, while the platform uses a 2x2 cube texture for each tile. Also the direction in which you are facing when you place the mapmodel affects its orientation.

Viper, so what i have to do? :)

UPD
One of the solutions, i think, is to downscale this texture to 50%, and use it like a custom texture (described in mymap.cfg file) on mapmodel. Is it?
Thanks given by:
It was made for the asphalt.

I suggest someone remake the bridge so it is easier to use textures that tile on a percube basis.
Thanks given by:
Uhm .. actually I'm not certain what Viper meant by that .. if at all he should've said that normal geometry texturing occurs at 1x1, the mapmodel though uses a 2x1 scaled image - hence the weird scaling issues when using a non-default texture.
The skin.jpg of comp_bridge is 512x256 (2x1, 1x1 would be square, like most geometry textures), which the model "knows" where (and how) to attach to the vertices (think "corners") of itself .. take a different texture and it's different.
The default-model-textures were done by makkE (specifically for comp_bridge) in such a way as to work well with a specific default geometry-texture .. I tried to approximate his talented work and failed, but someone skilled in graphics should be able to provide a "proper" texture for the model by matching the texture-coordinates (where the vertices land (rather the other way round)).
Thanks given by:
ROFL .. Ronald_Reagan beat me to it .. and he's much more concise .. and he has a very good suggestion in there to boot.
Indeed a cube-sized (e.g. 4x4x1 .. or maybe 4x4x0.5) would lend itself more to using the 4th-entity property.
The bridge-model (bridge, not comp_bridge - in 1.1.0.4 it's model-#57 not model-#1) is basically what you want, but it has a 256x256 skin, the noctua/tiles/16tile12.jpg from the first post ist 128x128 .. the double-size issue returns.
Thanks given by:
(07 Sep 11, 07:42AM)flowtron Wrote: The bridge-model (bridge, not comp_bridge - in 1.1.0.4 it's model-#57 not model-#1) is basically what you want, but it has a 256x256 skin, the noctua/tiles/16tile12.jpg from the first post ist 128x128 .. the double-size issue returns.
It seems to me, I start to see way

A achieved desired texture size, but there is a new problem - map coordinates :( Heh
Any thoughts?

[Image: accubesvsmapmodels3.jpg]
Thanks given by:
So, at the end of all i solved this problem by next way:

in Photoshop:
1. Re-tile original 128x128 texture to 256x256
2. Shift new texture throug the one of the axis (vertical in my case) by 32! px with 'wrapping around' pixels mode. 32px is to avoid 2px shifting (flowtron told about this) - see the green arrows at screenshot.
in GameEditor:
3. Adjust rotating angle of mapmodel (90 degrees in my case)
Thats all. Looks not bad, i think :)

[Image: accubesvsmapmodelsdone.jpg]

Thanks for all to help me.
Sincerely yours drdr aka FANTOMAS.UA at gameservers
Thanks given by:
That is very well done. It's a shame that with the method you used though, you'll have a great "Missing content" texture over it. I think the best solution is to make a new bridge, as I've had limitations from this texture issue. Gogo, modelers!
Thanks given by:
(07 Sep 11, 11:56AM)BS_Snoosnoo Wrote: It's a shame that with the method you used though, you'll have a great "Missing content" texture over it.

But, if i will share this map with its own .cgf file and this texture?

Thanks given by:
The players have to download the texture separately. If you vote it in-game, the other players won't download the texture as well as the map.
Thanks given by:
I think the mapmodel itself needs to change to accommodate all the other textures. That way you won't have to worry about 31-pixel-shifts (XD) just to get it looking right.
Thanks given by:
Yeah, orynge is right. The ones who haven't downloaded it will just have a "Missing content" texture, which is a shame :( However... I forgot to think about this, but you could always use the mapmodel that's in the ac_shine.cfg? The tiles are fitted correctly (although the sides are different) and it's in everyones package! :)
Thanks given by:
which default model number is that one?
Thanks given by:
// mapmodel 4 1 0 0 "bridge_shine" // Platform for ac_shine, specifically textured for its surroundings.
________
That's what it is in the default map settings. Misread. >_>
Thanks given by:
(07 Sep 11, 02:05PM)V-Man Wrote: which default model number is that one?
Look at the screenshot :) - #57

So, it seems i have to use suitable other standard texture
Thanks given by:
Yes, drdr. That's what I suggest :) It's the best result you'll get with the resources you have. :3
Thanks given by:
drdr, it might be nice if you share your texture you made. This way people could see how you did it and possibly replicate it for projects they have. Or for fixes in the future.

No work should go to waste :P
Thanks given by:
(07 Sep 11, 05:59PM)Ronald_Reagan Wrote: drdr, it might be nice if you share your texture you made.

Original 128x128 by MakkE

[Image: tilesw.jpg]

Step 1 Re-tiling to 256x256

[Image: tiles256x256.jpg]

Step 2 Offset as you need.
I did 32px vertical and -2px horisontal with "Wrap around" option in Photoshop Filter/Other/Offset

[Image: tiles256x256sh31.jpg]

Thanks given by:
Maybe somebody could wikify this, seems like some good know-how/background-info!
Thanks given by:
Lol. Maybe the textures could be reformatted then, for a newer version?
Thanks given by:
Cemer, no.

That texture specifically lines up quite well with the walls. Making it so you can have 1 tile for 1 cube. If you reformatted and kept it like you would have problems.

Unless ofc you want to effectively almost double your game size (overstatement by a bit) :P
Thanks given by:
(08 Sep 11, 05:03AM)Ronald_Reagan Wrote: Cemer, no.

That texture specifically lines up quite well with the walls. Making it so you can have 1 tile for 1 cube. If you reformatted and kept it like you would have problems.

Unless ofc you want to effectively almost double your game size (overstatement by a bit) :P

Slightly confused, but I sort of understand. I think.
Thanks given by:
I guessed that the best option for it was to rework the model itself...

So here it is, it will fit almost every textures if they aren't to detailed like the electric cupboard and such.

Get it and comment >>> here <<<

[Image: platform_1_1315478438.png]
Thanks given by:
Dude.

Cleaner.

You are a genius. This is friggin revolutionary.
Thanks given by:
I don't care if that was one of the easiest pieces you've done, Cleaner.. It's certainly your best! <3
Thanks given by:
Cleaner <3
Thanks given by: