Different texture sizes - why? :( [Solved]
This needs to become part of the official package!
Since I'm still only online with extreme limitations (bandwidth/transfer-volume) I can't upload to SVN myself; but first we'll have to do this by the book and ask for permission from DES|Cleaner to include it. *send-PM*
Thanks given by:
Well, I'm kind of shocked it took two pages to get this well known and real old issue solved, to be honest.

You guys should seriously consider taking Cleaner into the team, as it seems there's no active GFX man around at the moment. Just a thought.
Thanks given by:
(09 Sep 11, 07:39AM)Mr.Floppy Wrote: …this well known and real old issue…

Mr.Floppy, where can i read about this and same ones?
Thanks given by:
@ flowtron
Of course you have my agreement, I am pleased to help in anyway.

@ Mr.Floppy
Honestly I am a bit surprised too, I really though this would have been sorted for the next version.
I also never previously bothered with this since it's a classic that mapmodels are not meant to be textured since they are stretched according the UV map.

About GFX you forgot to mention a_slow_old_man and Dementium4ever who also are very active.
Thanks given by:
This thing has been brought up several times through the years. I'm afraid most of the threads are gone with the old forums. "Well known" therefore refers to people who were around and aware at that time. Unfortunately, it seems like there aren't much left of those.

However, the "problem" is the model's UV-map in combination with different texture sizes. UV-coordinates are always relative and therefore the absolute size of the used texture does change the scaling accordingly. Nothing unusual.

Like Cleaner did, you would have to layout the UV-map according to the texture-size. The "shine-bridge" actually was such a UV-fix already. Btw, I wonder if anyone ever realized those seams on the ac_keller bridge. ;)

In the end we would need bridge-alternatives which allow textures from 32x32 to lets say 256x256 px size. According to the slim-download-approach of AC, this appears to be not worth the benefit. On a sidenote, that's the same reason why it wouldn't make much sense using model-plains in order to circumvent the engine's limitations...

Another arguement was, that you're not supposed to (ab)use the bridge model for second floors anyways, which used to be the main purpose of "re-skinning" the bridge.

I personally don't see the big deal, to be honest. There are plenty textures which come with the fitting size and are quite suitable for floors at the same time. A completely tiled bridge like I can see on your screenshots doesn't make much sense anyways, in my opinion.

If we really wanted to use such models as world-geometry-replacements, we first would need another texture-scale parameter for model entities.

I hope this was helpful. :)
Thanks given by:
(09 Sep 11, 09:40AM)Mr.Floppy Wrote: Btw, I wonder if anyone ever realized those seams on the ac_keller bridge. ;)
OMGWTF... no :P

Anyways, as I see it, applying world textures to mapmodels is just a cheap hack for exactly this one purpose, so the disadvantages need to be dealt with.
Thanks given by:
(09 Sep 11, 09:40AM)Mr.Floppy Wrote: I wonder if anyone ever realized those seams on the ac_keller bridge. ;)

Oh yeah, because at the most intense part of that map, where the two opposing sides most often meet, people are going to be like "Woah! Stop shooting! Stop shooting! I can see a seam. Can you see that? OMG"

Quote:If we really wanted to use such models as world-geometry-replacements, we first would need another texture-scale parameter for model entities.

Now there's an idea. Not a lot of need to scale the textures on geometry, but for mapmodels that makes sense.
We ought to implement the idea of having textured clips as well. IMO, this would have been a great solution for this specific problem.
Thanks given by:
(08 Sep 11, 06:26PM)flowtron Wrote: This needs to become part of the official package!
Since I'm still only online with extreme limitations (bandwidth/transfer-volume) I can't upload to SVN myself; but first we'll have to do this by the book and ask for permission from DES|Cleaner to include it. *send-PM*

Ok i just saw the revision you commited - so i've uploaded the files myself.
So this platform is now available in the official package of development version, thanks Cleaner
Thanks given by:
Hold your horses Luc@s, just got the idea of rework it on a 32x32 basis so it could fit even cube based textures, as I just said to flowtron I'll fix two models on 8x8 and 16x16 for saturday.
Thanks given by:
OK, I have a little problem here...
Even with the model on a 32 x 32 basis anyhow because of different textures sizes (128, 256 and 512) sometimes these textures are stretched.

The only way to get around this would be to actually do 6 different models for the two platforms...

Let me know if it's worth it or not or we keep this model.

Anyway I'll still do a 16 x 16 platform later today.
Thanks given by:
Updated! Now in 8x8 and 16x16

>>> Download here <<<

[Image: platforms.png]
Thanks given by:
More like the second floor.

1x1 or 2x2 plz? :D
Thanks given by:
LOL
entire floors made of 1x1x1 cube mapmodels.
Quote:fps 3
lod 250
wqd 4096
wvt LAG
evt LAG
Thanks given by:
OH MY GOD!
MR. FLOPPY IS BACK :D :D
Thanks given by: