AC's security
Found somewhere
Quote:I got bored with hacking this game. There is no security at all, you modify the exe to do what you want......boring.

Also the game engine sucks. The enemys take too long to drop.

The community is also not easily raged.

I can do a lot less as far as hacks go in cs, but cause far more rage.

So even hackers got bored to cheat, let's discuss methods to prevent cheaters. Our game is clientside so it will be hard to prevent everything, but making hacking more difficult would decrease number of cheat reports I hope :)

Problem #1
Modified clients
Yeah, the name says everything. Begginer of programming modifies some variables in code and compiles it. In the result we see speedhacks, highjumps etc. How to prevent this? Every that's come to my mind is just checksum compare. Hashed checksum of client binary is compared with checksum of the server. If both the same, client connects, if not, it's kicked. Simple and idiot proof. Disadvantage is that innocent modders that changed only cosmetic things (for example changed hp number into healthbar) won't connect to other servers.

Problem #2
External programs running in the background
Usually called "trainers" - aimbots for example. Here I don't have any ideas - I'm just web developer, not serious programmer. But here i would suggest trying to block any attempts accessing game's memory.
Thanks given by:
let hackers go...as far as security...the AC Blacklist Reports do what is needed to fight hackers also..most hackers are random noobs who are shit in AC so of course they complain :)
Thanks given by:
Yea, but less "random noobz" = more pure fun
Thanks given by:
Good ideas, I've been playing ac long time ago and have never modified anything in the game. Many people out there modify their clients to get an (unfair) advantage on the other players who don't.
Thanks given by:
There isn't a lot of hackers and /ban is fairly efficient isn't it?
Thanks given by:
Just to make it clear, assaultcube is probably thr game with least cheaters. And those that cheat, get banned ;)
Thanks given by:
^this is true...also..wouldnt adding your ideas maybe make it unavailable to dialup up people?
Thanks given by:
The beauty of AC being open source is that all those who can are able to modify the source as they see fit, and play with any client they compile; regardless of what some may think. This is a freedom that's ingrained in AC, and in its current team of coders; it won't change.
We put a lot of trust in the players we play with. Sometimes that trust is abused, in an obvious manner, and those abusers are removed from the game (to the best of our ability) for a period of time. Also, there will always be those who abuse that trust in a less obvious way. If you are not one of them, your only solace is that you know you are clean. Sadly, there is no protection from these weak-minded, pathetic souls. Don't even bother feeling sorry for them; they don't have the empathy to understand your compassion, and will simply use it as a weakness to exploit. :)
Thanks given by:
(19 Aug 11, 09:03PM)FleshyPod Wrote: Hashed checksum of client binary is compared with checksum of the server. If both the same, client connects, if not, it's kicked. Simple and idiot proof.

This is completely wrong.
I suggested this a long time ago (or something similar), and was told it was a bad idea (which was true). Here's why: since the client code is already modified, nothing is stopping them from changing the checksum sent back to the server. After taking the time to design an aimbot, changing one int value is really not very much work.

Any real anti-cheat needs to happen on the server side. Since the client can literally do whatever they want, its up to the server to detect and deal with cheats (and hence we have blacklists and anti-cheat on servers).
Thanks given by:
Quote:So even hackers got bored to cheat

Why we should develop some challenge for them ? I should keep the current challenge, to discover who doesn't cheat. ;)
Thanks given by:
I enjoy the fact that this cheater was persuaded to leave simply because he couldn't fulfil his sociopathological douchebaggery.
Thanks given by:
Wait, wait, wait.

Quote:I got bored with hacking this game.
Good.

Quote:The enemys take too long to drop.
Also good (supports above).

Quote:The community is also not easily raged.
Good.

Quote: I can do a lot less as far as hacks go in cs, but cause far more rage.
Good (redirection).

Analysis: Current direction of AC deters hackers.
Conclusion: Carry on, homies.
Thanks given by: