In game data
I'm doing an investigation toward a project that would use some of the data I am collecting on my servers.

My question that I would like answer to, is
What is the best way to get data from in game.

Right now the best things I know of are the demos (which would need some type of interpreter and making one is way beyond the scope of this project), and the server logs. At this moment I am planning to use server logs, but I would love to gather more data points if they are available. This is not for a ladder, although the data could easily be used to make one. I'm just wanting to do this as small project.
Thanks given by:
Logs are obviously the simplest to parse. Just make sure you have the logging level set high enough. I don't know if you can or want to modify the server, but if you do, you could easily add additional output where you need it.
There's also the extended server info which e.g. CSL uses, but it can't tell you more than the server logs.
I could probably tell you something more helpful if I knew what data you want.
Thanks given by:
(16 Aug 11, 10:26PM)tempest Wrote: I could probably tell you something more helpful if I knew what data you want.
hmmmm, good question
Ok I know there's more available, and I'd appreciate if anyone else has ideas, but the ones I think I'd like to gather are: bullet hits and misses, armor and medi-kit usage. I'll think about it some more. There are several that I thought of, but they could easily be compiled from data already available from the current server logs I have, I just had to think about it.
Thanks given by:
(16 Aug 11, 09:23PM)Verse Wrote: that would use some of the data I am collecting on my servers.

...did you get a job at Google?

Thanks given by:
(16 Aug 11, 11:22PM)Verse Wrote:
(16 Aug 11, 10:26PM)tempest Wrote: I could probably tell you something more helpful if I knew what data you want.
hmmmm, good question
Ok I know there's more available, and I'd appreciate if anyone else has ideas, but the ones I think I'd like to gather are: bullet hits and misses, armor and medi-kit usage. I'll think about it some more. There are several that I thought of, but they could easily be compiled from data already available from the current server logs I have, I just had to think about it.
demos :)
Thanks given by:
Luc@s, do you have a demo parser?
Thanks given by:
yes, it's called assault cube
;)
Thanks given by:
Ok, no surprises here then, severlogs seem to be the obvious solution. I'll look at server modification to include extra stats etc. I'll search for threads on server modification, but being a noob, do any sages here have some recommended threads or pages on proper server modification?
Thanks given by:
(17 Aug 11, 08:08PM)Verse Wrote: Ok, no surprises here then, severlogs seem to be the obvious solution.
Why not demos ? You can read AC source to figure out how to read them.
(17 Aug 11, 08:08PM)Verse Wrote: I'll look at server modification to include extra stats etc. I'll search for threads on server modification, but being a noob, do any sages here have some recommended threads or pages on proper server modification?
If you have any question i suggest you ask it here ;)
Thanks given by:
(17 Aug 11, 08:17PM)Luc@s Wrote: Why not demos ? You can read AC source to figure out how to read them.
True, But creating a demo parser would be a project in and of itself. I'll take one project at a time. That way I don't end up with a bunch of half baked projects.

(17 Aug 11, 08:17PM)Luc@s Wrote: If you have any question i suggest you ask it here ;)
Thank you Luc@s, I will. Monkey see monkey do. What are some examples of some good server mods? I know code, but I've never delved into ac code beyond a causal glance with VS. Seeing how others have done it might save me from having to reinvent some good wheels.
Just some background, this thread:
http://forum.cubers.net/thread-2182.html...server+mod
was very helpful, I'm a noob.
Thanks given by:
Fiz's acRunner.
Thanks given by:
(17 Aug 11, 10:46PM)Viper Wrote: Fiz's acRunner.

I've heard of it, but never really looked at it.

So I just examined it, and, this might be a solution I'll consider.
Thanks given by:
(16 Aug 11, 10:26PM)tempest Wrote: There's also the extended server info which e.g. CSL uses, but it can't tell you more than the server logs.

btw i can provide a PHP class to catch and read AC server's response (with getint(), getuint(), putint() methods...). I'll pastebin it soon
Thanks given by:
Good luck Verse
Thanks given by:
(18 Aug 11, 12:40PM)Luc@s Wrote:
(16 Aug 11, 10:26PM)tempest Wrote: There's also the extended server info which e.g. CSL uses, but it can't tell you more than the server logs.

btw i can provide a PHP class to catch and read AC server's response (with getint(), getuint(), putint() methods...). I'll pastebin it soon

Isnt that what acRunner does?
Thanks given by:
(18 Aug 11, 09:30PM)Viper Wrote:
(18 Aug 11, 12:40PM)Luc@s Wrote:

Isnt that what acRunner does?
no

Thanks given by:
Lucas, that is to help with parsing thr logs? I am very interested to figure out how to parse them, does AC just send the packets to its own personal server?
Thanks given by:
no it just helps to catch those extinfo_ messages sent by the server for example
Thanks given by:
Oh, Fiz has a class made for that already. And I have a mostly complete python class that is just a conversion of his class.

Lemme find his class.

http://forum.cubers.net/thread-3359.html
Fiz doesn't have his DL anymore, but that page should have it.
Thanks given by:
it's not what i mean, his code could use my class but it's not the same thing
Thanks given by:
Ok.
Thanks given by: