Suggestion: anti spawn camp
Hi,

i tried this game a few times on different servers and i saw some people camping at spawns to kill enemy. It would be great if there is something against this guys. :D

Like this:
If someone stays for longer than xx seconds on spawn (enemy or own) then remove some healthpoints from him. If he repeats his spawn camp party or don't stop it, then remove more healthpoints and so on.. until death. :D

I don't say something about camping on one place. Like in CTF where you have to defend the flag. But i hate it if i connect to a TDM server and get repeadetly killed by a spawn camper. I think it's not fair because you have nearly no chance to react.
Thanks given by:
I too hate spawn campers but at the end of the day if you manage to get into enemy base I am pretty sure you'll do exactly the same...

On the other hand I also though about it many times, including health slowly dropping (like you're not in your element and you cannot stay there for long).

Health drop sounds good but I guess that it is kinda hard to implement otherwise I suppose that it would already be in there like when under water. Also there is a health pack in nearly or close every base so just standing on it would reduce to nil all the scripts efforts.

Next, some do but it's unfair kick someone for staying +/- long at a same spot so about spawn camper I suppose something could be done in order that you respawn the further away from an enemy entity.

imo just live with it, it's all part of the lovely game ;)
Thanks given by:
Maybe like a spawn timer you know, where your invincible for 3 seconds after you spawn or something?
Thanks given by:
(20 Jul 11, 07:12PM)gambino Wrote: Maybe like a spawn timer you know, where your invincible for 3 seconds after you spawn or something?

Would be a good alternative. :)

No matter what comes, i think it makes the game more balanced if you have a slightly chance to get rid of them. :D

@Cleaner:
Well.. i try not to camp at spawn. Although i sometimes don't know where the enemy spawn is, if i find it then i go somewhere else to give them a chance to spawn.
Thanks given by:
if you are getting spawnkilled, its the team's fault for not controlling the field. Of course pubs+teamwork = good luck. xD

Anyways it happens much less on bigger, better maps, with less paths. Depot/Iceroad will rarely lead to you getting spawnkilled.(especially in larger games!) Unless the teams are super unbalanced. Maps like Shine, every apollo map(abbey/arabic night), etc... encourage spawn killing by having the bases wide open to get hit from any side. And more paths available for easier ninja-ing.

Tell your team mates where the spawnkiller is, and he won't last long. <3
Thanks given by:
(20 Jul 11, 07:12PM)gambino Wrote: Maybe like a spawn timer you know, where your invincible for 3 seconds after you spawn or something?
F1... I thought of that as well (previous games experience) but it skipped my mind when I posted.

Thanks given by:
Can we have auto suicide for campers that wont leave their own base? :D
Thanks given by:
IMO the 3 second timer is a bad idea...as seeing from CA crossfire and games like it you could be near enemy spawns and get killed by enemies under the spawn protection which is just plain unfair.....if somebody is camping at your base then your team is failing to take control of the game..(also since 145% of all base campers are shotties) just get the AR or SMG and backup and BOOM!!!(or boom,boom,boom,boom,boom...dead) :D
Thanks given by:
Simply allow the client to chose the spawn, the one more distant from the enemie.
Or, change spawn bases when there's an enemy in our team base, you spawn on the other. But this would be confusing in ctf :s
Thanks given by:
This.
(20 Jul 11, 05:55PM)DES|Cleaner Wrote: if you manage to get into enemy base I am pretty sure you'll do exactly the same...

Because what should you do in AC when you see an opponent?
Thanks given by:
^ Ask them for a round of GEMAs of course!
Thanks given by:
Against camping, spam nades.
Thanks given by:
Don't know why this hasn't been mentioned yet: when you spawn, you already have the advantage of full health. However, if you really want another advantage, perhaps players could spawn with 25 or 50 armour that would wind down to nothing after a few seconds, similar to how some games spawn players at increased health that slowly degenerates to normal levels.

I just realized this'd be shite for CTF.
Thanks given by:
How about 1 second spawn protection? I don't really feel all too sorry for the team that gets spawn camped.
Thanks given by:
There was a suggestion to protect spawning players until they fire. Of course then they're given the first shot which you could argue is unfair so I think a combination of limited invincibility and vulnerability upon firing would be best. Immunity wears off after one second, or when that player fires a weapon.
Thanks given by:
(21 Jul 11, 01:34AM)Gibstick Wrote: perhaps players could spawn with 25 or 50 armour that would wind down to nothing after a few seconds, similar to how some games spawn players at increased health that slowly degenerates to normal levels.

I just realized this'd be shite for CTF.

The team is oppressed.

(21 Jul 11, 02:51AM)Mael Wrote: There was a suggestion to protect spawning players until they fire. Of course then they're given the first shot which you could argue is unfair so I think a combination of limited invincibility and vulnerability upon firing would be best. Immunity wears off after one second, or when that player fires a weapon.

Maybe 0,5s only in TDM or frags mods.
Thanks given by:
In crossfire you are just able to kill your enemy after 3 secs(after the spawn ofc).
Thanks given by:
3 seconds is too much (on crossfire) and AC is faster than cf.
Thanks given by:
Or reduce damage received to 1/2 for 1 second after spawn.

Just as a protection against those spawnkills where you have no chance to defend yourself (ie: getting shot on the back , instant death by a random nade).

However you have the option to hold of spawning when base is getting ambushed, so no need for invincible mode just common sense.
Thanks given by:
I disagree with all the ideas here. The most decent idea that would've to be rethought is Mael's, but I would rather leave it the way it is. If someone is spawn camping too much and is killing too many players before taking cared off, then something with the spawning team's teamwork is wrong. Spawn killing doesn't happen in big quantities in matches and most of the times it is done tactic-wise. Nevertheless, spawn killing is a very natural thing in the game just like camping. Vogelfrey, you are probably suggesting this after a pub match, but I would advise you to play some real matches so you see the differences.

Most spawn killers in pubs are players with shotguns that are sooner or later killed anyway, and being able to have good teamwork in those kinds of games is very rare. Most of the spawn killing situations in big quantities are because of poor teamwork, and when done to be able to capture the flag without having to be chased by the enemy it's purely tactic-wise. So if you add this "spawn protection", it would shatter both of these features in the game.
Thanks given by:
Whether the team is good or poor is not your choice. main concern of this topic here is not the camper or the opposite team whose is overwhelming his opponent but the spawn itself. in a straight way i see no problem reducing in half the damage dealt by an opponent over a brand spawn by just one second. there are moments where you just can't avoid getting killed, unless you have faster reactions than an average human being (ie: dodge a nade that explode in the exact moment you spawn). it could be less than a second as far as slightly exceed a little above the time you have to react.

Anything else can be avoided as i said before by merely choosing wisely when spawning.

As regarding to a little above of the extra health, it may work the same way as reducing damage, less damage take more shots and therefore more time as high health take more shots and a little more time to stand a chance as well.
Thanks given by:
It's got nothing to do with choosing the team to be good or bad, or whatever that means, Stranz. I mean that if a team does a poor job on covering each other's back, defending base efficiently, etc., then consequently because of the poor control of their own base a player may be able to get a couple of kills.

And like you said, it's all in choosing when to click and spawn. All the problems like a nade exploding the moment they spawn, or getting killed by an ambush the moment they spawn, etc. can all be solved by simply thinking sagaciously on when would be the correct moment to spawn. I would also like to add that after being spawn killed the first time, any average player should realize instead of just clicking away hoping to kill the spawn killer, to wait a few seconds and surprise him. Once you're dead and he's waiting for you to spawn, you have the element of surprise and he doesn't, so use that in your advantage instead of implementing health and protection scripts which just mess with the game's nature.
Thanks given by:
Spawn with a sniper and hit them in head. Even I can do that.

Also,
Nightmare Wrote:if you are getting spawnkilled, its the team's fault for not controlling the field.
Thanks given by:
Whatever happened to the idea of having a "spawn preview?"
You can see where you'll spawn and have the opportunity to delay clicking your mouse button if you do not wish to confront any possible spawn campers. This is nearly identical to the idea of having temporary immortality when spawning while not being able to shoot -- except we're not messing with explicit immortality as such, just the concept of not being able to die when you're already dead.
Thanks given by:
Why not have a spawn protection timer (say, 3 seconds or less,) but if you shoot in that time, the timer gets cut short?

EDIT: Ninja'd by Mael
Thanks given by:
No.
Thanks given by:
V-man's Idea, in my opinion, is the only one that is possible. Seeing my body when I die just isn't terribly useful. Or possibly it would be useless; I have no idea how many spawn points there are on different maps, but if there are enough, this shouldn't be a problem.
Thanks given by:
I think it'd best be implemented as another SPECT style. Adding in the view of your spawn area or even the POV of your next spawn point should be relatively simple.

IMO, the dead body view can be useful to see if the person who took you out is camping or moving to another place.
Thanks given by:
(22 Jul 11, 07:52AM)V-Man Wrote: Whatever happened to the idea of having a "spawn preview?"

I dont like the spawn preview idea at all. I could just switch to sniper when they are in front of me, spawn, and pick them off giving me the advantage of a possible HS

(24 Jul 11, 02:35PM)V-Man Wrote: IMO, the dead body view can be useful to see if the person who took you out is camping or moving to another place.
^^^^^ <3<3<3
Thanks given by:
(25 Jul 11, 06:54AM)CharlyMurphie Wrote: I could just switch to sniper when they are in front of me, spawn, and pick them off giving me the advantage of a possible HS

Which would turn into a perfect deterrent to spawn camping.
Thanks given by: