AC Ubuntu-package available on PlayDeb
lolz, I didn't know AC was packaged by Playdeb! This so deserves to be front paged.
Thanks given by:
Soo... It's packaged for Ubuntu?
Thanks given by:
"Available for Ubuntu: 10.04, 11.04"
Thanks given by:
er? Look at the title of the website?
Thanks given by:
Oh lol, Captain Obvious.
Thanks given by:
Ah, the correct version! When did this happen? Yay!
Thanks given by:
The question is, why isn't it on the main Ubuntu downloads? You have to download the playdeb package to get this to work. What this would take is downloading the package in a .deb or something format, )Read: how you do that?) and uploading it to here.
Thanks given by:
packaging is all well and good .. but .. is downloading a tar.bz2 and simply unpacking it really that hard?
The different distributions have seperate managers for the individual packages - all it really needs is for someone to take up the responsibility. Not just once (hit-n-run) but over the course of a few years, and get someone to take over once that becomes necessary.

The amount of trouble we had with the seriously outdated Ubuntu-package for AC has really made me - and AFAIK a number of others on the dev-team - not particularly fond of prepackaged installations. The D/L from sf.net is safe, easy and most current .. it's hard to argue against that.
Thanks given by:
Perhaps we could convince the Linux packaging folks to just depend on a link to sf.net?
Thanks given by:
(16 Jul 11, 01:55AM)flowtron Wrote: The D/L from sf.net is safe, easy and most current .. it's hard to argue against that.
And less marketable. And AC needs it-That would mean more maps, devs, models, whatever.
Open Source games don't have to be small. I counted 2000 people online on Urban Terror. I've never, ever seen over 400 on AC.
The main way of finding/downloading software on Ubuntu is packages, so we should use it.
(16 Jul 11, 01:55AM)flowtron Wrote: is downloading a tar.bz2 and simply unpacking it really that hard?
Sounds like a job for me.
Thanks given by:
(16 Jul 11, 01:55AM)flowtron Wrote: packaging is all well and good .. but .. is downloading a tar.bz2 and simply unpacking it really that hard?
No, but what's hard is keeping all your downloaded and unpacked stuff up to date :P
On the other hand, if the package maintainers can't keep the stuff updated on their end, you end up having to do exactly that. That problem seems to specifically affect Debian, Ubuntu and all those other distros focused on stability. That approach works fine as long as all applications need maximum compatibility within the system, but not much to the outside. AC, on the other hand...
But really, not all distros are like that. Arch:
$ pacman -Ss assaultcube
community/assaultcube 1.1.0.4-2
    A realistic team oriented multiplayer FPS based on the Cube engine
Thanks given by:
I'm having trouble following you tempest. Would the requirements like open al be a problem?
Thanks given by:
No. The problem is that the AC packages have to be updated more or less immediately after a new (AC) release, because the entire infrastructure (servers, master server) and the player base switch very quickly. An outdated version of AC is useless (except for bot SP), while an outdated version of, say, Firefox, still does its job.
Thanks given by:
Well maybe the devs should package it
Imaginary mod edit: No way! the mods do this on they're free time as a service to the community and don't have time for silly "marketing" tactics like this!
Thanks given by: