Adding more maps?
Hi. I just recently made a server and I was wondering on how to add more maps. Not the Ac maps but the other maps. Every time I try loading them, it keeps telling me that I don't have the map on my server. How would I get those maps onto my server?
Thanks given by:
RTFM! You need to allow uploading maps and/or put the maps you want to be allowed to be played into the "packages/maps/servermaps" directory - that last bit is the short answer to your Q.
Here's some documentation links:
Server Options (like allowing map-upload) and Server Guide (which isn't totally up-to-date regarding protocol changes since v1.0 but apart from the bandwidth data it's all still good information) and the Server Setup to round it all off.
HTH
Thanks given by:
(14 Jul 11, 01:04PM)flowtron Wrote: RTFM! You need to allow uploading maps and/or put the maps you want to be allowed to be played into the "packages/maps/servermaps" directory - that last bit is the short answer to your Q.
Here's some documentation links:
Server Options (like allowing map-upload) and Server Guide (which isn't totally up-to-date regarding protocol changes since v1.0 but apart from the bandwidth data it's all still good information) and the Server Setup to round it all off.
HTH

How would I allow uploading the maps to be played onto my server? T~T I'm new at this so sorry for asking these kind of questions.
Thanks given by:
Go to servercmdline.txt in /config and scroll down to where it says:
//-M     // sendmap permission string
Take off the first two /'s in front of -M.
Now put cUR after -M so it looks like:
-McUR     // sendmap permission string
Now anybody can upload maps and admins can update and revert maps.
Thanks given by:
(15 Jul 11, 02:33AM)Frogulis Wrote: Go to servercmdline.txt in /config and scroll down to where it says:
//-M     // sendmap permission string
Take off the first two /'s in front of -M.
Now put cUR after -M so it looks like:
-McUR     // sendmap permission string
Now anybody can upload maps and admins can update and revert maps.
I tried doing that but I get this error message every time I try saving it. The message is "The document “servercmdline.txt” could not be saved. The volume is read only." Is there some sort of other way to fix this? Btw I use a mac and used text edit.
Thanks given by:
Frogulis did what he shouldn't have (IMHO), he took you by the hand.
But now we've actually gotten the real problem out of you .. like, my question now is - why didn't you mention this error-message before? .. and it's even worse - this isn't an AC problem at all, it's a problem of you properly using your machine.

AFAIK the Mac-Package resembles a folder on your machine, which you seem to be wanting to edit in - but you should be editing in your personal-game-directory. To locate this you can use the launcher's menu and select "go to private files" (or something similar). Then place your servercmdline.txt into the config-subfolder there; when launching your server you need to pass the (full) path to that file.
Let's assume your personal directory is in /home/alex/.assaultcube_v1.1, and you put your server-commandline-config into /home/alex/.assaultcube_v1.1/config/alex.servercmd.txt. So - then you go and launch your server and pass it -C/home/alex/.assaultcube_v1.1/config/alex.servercmd.txt.
Adapt the paths to what you actually find - this was an example, it's basically what it'd be like on linux, but Mac OS X has many parallels, so I hope it'll be helpful enough.

Naturally, I'd much appreciate if someone who actually uses Mac themselves and maybe even has had experience with hosting a server from it could fill in some more details about the paths; and/or fix any mistakes I may have made by assuming Mac OS X behaves in any way which it in reality might not.

Lastly, I need to stress this point: If you have so much trouble with these low-level aspects of using your computer, I highly recommend that you forget about hosting a server. There are risks involved when opening any machine, even in the slightest way, to the interwebs. Especially if you do something wrong and don't just open the ports for AC! Like, disabling your firewall completely - that'd be a bad idea and might lead to your machine being compromised. We can't be responsible for that; so I'm trying to make you see the danger here in the hope that you accept that there are way more than enough servers out there already.
Not to mention the fact that most home connections don't allow for more than a handful of players before the bandwidth requirements spell mega-LAG for everyone involved!

still - HTH
Thanks given by:
Phewwwwy.

I just edit the files in the packaged directory. You have to right click your game file, select show package contents, and go to Contents/gamedata/config and edit in there. I assume you know that.

I have never seen a permission problem, and not sure why you are. This tells me that you aren't the owner of your computer and shouldn't be making it vulnerable.

As Flowtron said, copy the servercmdline.txt file to /User/Library/Application\ Support/assaultcube_1.1 (or something like that) This folder can also be found by "Show user game files" Try placing it in that config and then start up AC. I have never done it this way, but it is possible you could do it.

Another option is to select your game file (the thing you double click) and hit cmd-i and go down to sharing & permissions, and then make sure your user has read and write permissions. This process could probably be clarified by doing a google search for "Changing folder permissions MacOSX"

Thats about all I will help :P You really should just play the game, hosting a server isn't all it is cracked up to be.
Thanks given by:
Ronald_Reagan - thanks man!
Thanks given by: