Assaultcube Enhanced
Well, I was thinkin of doin an assaultcube enhanced sort of thing . I can code in C++ and model, and i was thinkin who would like that idea? victor, who heads the "special edition thing" , said i could fork off his project, which could save me some coding, and any ideas appreciated.
Thanks given by:
i've got an idea: leave victor's "project" alone. and try to enhance assaultcube under the direction of the AC devs (if you can&want).
Thanks given by:
I agree with Kirin... If you can and want make improvements to AssaultCube talk to the devs instead of trying to make another AC.

Why is it that people come here and steal ideas, scripts and so on to make something else aside?
Not that I am against mods at all but hey, first show some respect for the original project and all the contributors by giving them a helping hand.
Furthermore, doing so will surely improve your skills and you'll learn new things, later on you'll probably come up with an original project and surely will find the followers you definitely need in order to create an entire new game.

I am not flaming you, I am just saying that AC will be better off with people "enhancing" it in the first place.
Thanks given by:
im not making another ac:// i meant , putting together a package that you put in ur existing ac folder :// like sauerbraten enhanced :))
Thanks given by:
Didn't you already say you wanted to make a new package with completely different models?

RebelCube iirc.

Anyways what Kirin and Cleaner said.
Thanks given by:
DES|Cleaner Wrote:Not that I am against mods at all
Wouldn't it be delightfully ironic if Cleaner actually was against mods? :P
Thanks given by:
(07 Jul 11, 01:03PM)Frogulis Wrote:
Well, not everybody is supposed to know who I am but I'd say 'Touché' XD

Thanks given by:
What if he wants to make an AC-like game but doesn't agree with the "direction of the devs"?
Thanks given by:
(07 Jul 11, 01:57PM)DES|Cleaner Wrote:
(07 Jul 11, 01:03PM)Frogulis Wrote:
Well, not everybody is supposed to know who I am but I'd say 'Touché' XD

Cleaner's title Wrote:DES Veteran & AKIMBO Founder
Shhhh! It's a secret! :D
Thanks given by:
Awesome Rebel, i always support new mods and forks and whatever...
Just like i suport victors project, dont just hate it because its different. Its not like ac will ever have any of the features it has anyway...
Have fun working on it and let us have a good time playing it!
Thanks given by:
(07 Jul 11, 06:02PM)macm Wrote: Awesome Rebel, i always support new mods and forks and whatever...
Just like i suport victors project, dont just hate it because its different. Its not like ac will ever have any of the features it has anyway...
Have fun working on it and let us have a good time playing it!

The issue we have with victor is his known hacking and distribution of hacks, his lack of respect for license and attribution, and his lack of respect for the people who made most of the game he edited.
Thanks given by:
We know victor hacked?
Thanks given by:
He posts videos on Youtube hacking...
Thanks given by:
Oh, ok then. Same fella then eh?
Thanks given by:
hmmm . yeah i reckon he'd be the same fella since he modifies source code . . . But i find some of his ideas really good ... i mean, adding throwing knives? i would've never thought of that....
Thanks given by:
Yeah, and even hacking 1.0.4 and posting videos on Youtube, making AC Special Edition without the authorization of the devs, all really good ideas!
Thanks given by:
Yeah i agree with wolf that the use of the name "assaultcube" is against devs.... but yeah :// Maybe i'll stick to not modifying the source code then .... does a mod pack to replace some content eg. mapmodels etc work then ?
Thanks given by:
(08 Jul 11, 11:30AM)-Rebel- Wrote: does a mod pack to replace some content eg. mapmodels etc work then ?
Indeed and you can even use AKIMBO to host such material as long as all licences are respected.

On the other hand, apart for textures and maps it is not wise to make big packs as AC thinks of people who have machines with poor capacities, regarding mapmodels you better upload them one at the time so people can choose which one they gonna pick according their needs.

PS: Please read the AKIMBO Rules before uploading.

Thanks given by:
(08 Jul 11, 11:30AM)-Rebel- Wrote: Maybe i'll stick to not modifying the source code then ....

That wouldn't really be the issue. Even victor got the license conditions on the code correctly IIRC.
Thanks given by:
if (competent) people instead of "modding" actually worked for the good of the game, we'd have a much better assaultcube now. (Imo)
Thanks given by:
...with throwing knifves.
[/trolling]
Thanks given by:
(08 Jul 11, 09:07PM)Kirin Wrote: if (competent) people instead of "modding" actually worked for the good of the game, we'd have a much better assaultcube now. (Imo)
[clip nails]Exactly what I meant by... I am just saying that AC will be better off with people "enhancing" it in the first place.[/clip nails]
Thanks given by:
AC should really incorporate some of the community content though .. i dont see why the devs just cant use those ...... i mean, it would make life so much easier....
Thanks given by:
thats one of the great things about the game. allowing players to choose what modified content they'd like to use. i.e. mapmodels/etc.

also people who can code and know how to modify the source and do so in a helpful way are generally listened to if it's in the directions the devs want to go.

if it's not the direction the devs want to go, forks should and are made. however, the problem lies in licensing and copyright of intellectual property which victor seems to have ignored both in the name of his "fork" and the textures etc. he employs in the game. even i have seen the licensing files and understand what they mean and I am relatively stupid.

but mod away (reasonably) my friend and hopefully people will like what they see and want to use it.
Thanks given by:
(09 Jul 11, 05:38AM)-Rebel- Wrote: AC should really incorporate some of the community content though .. i dont see why the devs just cant use those ...... i mean, it would make life so much easier....
There is a simple reason for it... AssaultCube is so designed that even someone with a very very very basic pc can play (only 50mb of space is required).

If for instance devs decided to add all (but only) decent stuff that comes up on AKIMBO I couldn't actually tell you how many people wouldn't be able to download the game at all.

This where "custom" come in... If you can afford it space wise this part allows you to add whatever material content you fancy but don't forget that if you want people to play on a map including your custom content they are going to download it first.

On the other hand it is also true that the dev's team is adding every now and then some new material coming from the community into the official issue of the game but obviously only if it's really worth it.
Thanks given by: