banned?
Hello. My server was just banned from the masterserver?
Now, I've played assaultcube and all that, but I haven't been on the forums, or wiki, or anything in the community really, and I thought I would throw a server of my own up to play on and just for the heck of it.
Just a while ago I was playing a match with some people when someone connected to my server and said that I wasn't allowed to have "Allowed: Hacking" in the message of the day.
They said they were going to have to ban my server if I didn't take it off.
This was a random person who just showed up, said this, and left. I wasn't about to listen to someone random, with no proof of who they were, and let them scare me into doing something I didn't want to do, so I ignored them.
A while later, nobody was on my server and when I try to register it with the masterserver, it can't. When I try to connect to my server or any other server, through the server browser, or if I try to update server list, I can't. It says the masterserver not replying and tells me to visit http://masterserver.cubers.net/ for more info. So I go to that address in my browser and I see this:

echo ""
echo " 5A new AssaultCube version is out."
echo "Get it from http://assault.cubers.net/download.html"
echo " 4UPDATE YOUR CLIENT"
echo "yes - this masterserver is now 3OFFLINE 5!"

Not very helpful.
I looked around a little, but couldn't find anything that says I am not allowed to have this on my MOTD. So if someone can show me these rules(?), that would help.
I understand hacking is something people don't like, or want, bla bla bla. But who has the right to say what is/isn't allowed on others servers. Also, I understand allowing hacking on a server that is registered on the masterserver might not be allowed, I don't know why though (it doesn't affect the masterserver?). If so, anyone can give me an alternative masterserver I can register on if it's possible? That would help.
I've never been offensive or abused my admin position.
If the people on the server don't like someone (hacker or not, and for any reason) they can still vote kick/ban them or leave.
If I can't say hacking is allowed in my MOTD, can I put it in the extended server info? If not, where can I put it? If I can't put it anywhere, am I allowed to tell people it's okay while I'm in-game?

I don't really know all the rules(?) for having your own server. So what I'm looking for is some clarification on what I'm "allowed" to do with my server? Or some alternative masterserver? Or if I take down my server, or fix the MOTD, can my IP not be banned, or whatever was done to block me from playing. I've never hacked on any server, including my own.
Thanks given by:
(28 Jun 11, 12:10AM)Mashuu Wrote: ...when someone connected to my server and said that I wasn't allowed to have "Allowed: Hacking" in the message of the day...
Besides playing 24/7 douze, thats about the fastest way to get your server banned.
Mashuu Wrote:They said they were going to have to ban my server if I didn't take it off.
Should have listened.
Mashuu Wrote:I looked around a little, but couldn't find anything that says I am not allowed to have this on my MOTD.
I give you, Le Jamz
The server is considered undesirable to ac. As a community, people can control whether your server connects to the master server or not.
Mashuu Wrote:I understand hacking is something people don't like, or want, bla bla bla. But who has the right to say what is/isn't allowed on others servers.
Um... The devs and the community. Hacking is not allowed and no one wants it so thus your server was left in the dirt. There is no alternative but if you must have your silly little message, set your server to not register with the masterserver. The game rules are the same with any game, hacking or cheating included.

My suggestion, promise to remove the message and say that you will not have hacking be allowed. Don't do this here, pm jamz from the link above or another dev/admin.
Thanks given by:
1. Wow I didn't know you guys banned for map rotation too. That's really ridiculous.

2. As I said, it was a random person who didn't say who they were or give proof of anything. If I just went into someones server and said they have to change their MOTD or I would ban them, I doubt they would listen.

3. I've already read that page and it only mentions modified servers, bad map rotations, and complaints from users about admin, etc. None of this happened on my server. My server isn't even on that page.

4. My server is not a "hacking server" or anything like that. I only mentioned hacking to let people know there might be people who do, which I think warning them is better. By left in the dirt I assume you mean banned. Plenty of people were using my server. Who exactly is banning my server? The devs? The admins? When you say the "community" you mean people playing, but nobody complained about my server. Even if someone doesn't like my server, why should I be banned? They can go find another one or start their own.

Being open source software, I expected a different attitude towards the users freedom. My server was for anyone to use for anything they wanted. All the people on my server could vote to kick/ban anyone they wanted and vote for any gametype and map. The fact that the devs and admins are banning servers for such ridiculous things such as a comment in the MOTD, which I couldn't find any "rule" against, is just sad. I never hacked anything, yet I'm the one getting banned. Go after the people who are doing the hacking if you're so worried. If I take that off of my MOTD and still tell people in game that they can hack, will I still be banned?
Thanks given by:
Mashuu, it boils down to your own argument. You say you should be able to do what you want to on your servers. The devs should have the same liberty.
Thanks given by:
I know. Which is why I asked if there was an alternative masterserver.
I don't want to argue with anyone, but I just don't see any harm in my MOTD. People go crazy if they see the word "Hack". The fact is, it's going to happen anyways, so I said people can do it and warned everyone who goes to my server. I didn't force anyone to play on it. I could understand if my server was modified or something, but it's not. I was banned for 1 word in my MOTD.
Thanks given by:
You were banned for two actually:
Allowed: Hacking
^One         ^ Two

There isn't any alternative afaik. Nor is the current software released (again afaik), however you can look at the source and figure out how to make your own MS. Its just a tcp thingy responding to "list <name> <version>" with a server list.
Thanks given by:
lol. If I removed the word "Hacking" from that, I wouldn't be banned. So one word.

So the code for mastermode is in the server? is there like a command parameter i can use?
Thanks given by:
But if you only had the word hacking, you wouldn't be banned either.

Mashuu, the code isn't available afaik. You can find the 104 code, however that is outdated, and uses a different system. They redid the MS code, and I haven't seen any released code. I assume there isn't any for a good reason.
Thanks given by:
If I change the world "Allowed" to "Disallow" or just remove "Hacking", I wouldn't be banned, one or the other. Either way I only have to change 1 word. The main thing being "Allow" and "Hacking" being together.

Anyways, thanks for the info on masterserver. Do you know if they will be releasing it or not?

Also, for anyone who knows: Is there a way I can be allowed to play on other peoples servers, but still be banned from registering my server on the masterserver? I'm not a hacker and I've never hacked on any server. I think a ban from playing is not really fair.
Thanks given by:
The ban should be only on your server registering. However, we still have yet to see if you are banned. Your computer could've changed internal ips, snarfing port forwarding and such.
Thanks given by:
My IP address is the same still. I'm not sure what the deal is, but it tells me the masterserver isn't replying, but I still see a list of servers, but it won't let me join any... and my server doesn't register
Thanks given by:
When you open up your server browser, does it say anything like "Masterserver not replying" in the console?
Thanks given by:
Yes, it says "Master server is not replying. Get more information at http://masterserver.cubers.net/"
Are you two who have posted devs/admins? I have no clue who is.
Thanks given by:
I'm sure you'll need to convince the devs of the sincerity of your new wording.
It isn't so much that you're using specific words as much as the fact that those words indicate an attitude contradictory to the way the devs want the game to be run.

Perhaps a PM or a box of chocolates should do the trick.

A few devs:
Brahma
Bukz
RandumKiwi
flowtron
makkE
GeneralDisarray
ärkefiende
Mr.Floppy
Luc@s
tempest

And, I might add, I agree that it makes no sense to just trust the word of any random dude who comes into your server, so coming to the forum to check out the claim was a good call.
Thanks given by:
None of us who have posted here are devs. Both me and V-Man are mods.
Thanks given by:
(28 Jun 11, 05:19AM)V-Man Wrote: I'm sure you'll need to convince the devs of the sincerity of your new wording.
It isn't so much that you're using specific words as much as the fact that those words indicate an attitude contradictory to the way the devs want the game to be run.

Perhaps a PM or a box of chocolates should do the trick.

I'm not really sure what you mean by "specific words" or "new wording" or "attitude contradictory to the way the devs want"... but I don't know who to PM and I figured a forum post should work.
Thanks given by:
Mashuu, your server was banned because in the MOTD (and I don't have the exact phrase to hand here) it said "Anything goes:...hacking...". What you are doing with this statement is telling players of AC that it is OK to cheat in a server which is being offered by the game's offical master server. If you think this is the correct way to run a game, you have different ideals to AC's development team.

I asked you twice if you could read English, knowing full-well that you could, but you stayed 'silent'. Since you had no contact info on your server, and no account here, and you were refusing to reply to me, what choice did I have?

I've removed the ban, now that you're fully aware of the issue, but you cannot advertise the fact that you condone cheating in your server and have it registered on the official master server. It's that simple.
Thanks given by:
Generally, hacking is disallowed.

Say someone came onto your server, expecting clean, fair play, only to find out it was full of cheaters.

They try to kick, but the cheaters shoot that down and kick the nice, clean player.

What's to happen then?

But in any case... some devs are usually on IRC.
Thanks given by:
Thank you for the reply. What my MOTD was when you connected is:

\f7The Wild
\f0Allowed\f5: Anything! Hacking, Camping, Swearing, etc.
\f4-------------------------------------------------------------------
\f1AssaultCube Server\f5: \f2mtthwnestor.dyndns.org\f5:\f328763
\f1Mumble Server\f5: \f2mtthwnestor.dyndns.org\f5:\f36884

I said it was OK to hack on my server, but not anyone else's.
I understand if you don't want a server that people hack on to be listed in the master server, which is why I asked for an alternative one, or if I can host my own.
I'm not too worried about "the correct way to run a game" because It's just a game... Open source software that people get to mess with. Fun. If I were more serious about the game and hosting, I wouldn't allow it.
You connected to the server(I didn't notice how early on until I read the server log) and played for a bit, then disconnected and then joined again. You were using a username that I tried to search here, but got no results for. You didn't mention who you were or give any proof and like I said, I'm not going to listen to some random person trying to tell me what to do, so I ignored it.
Thank you for removing the ban, but as of right now it is still telling me that the master server is not replying :(
I've re-installed the program and it will not show any servers in the server list.
For now I will not register my server with the master server and if I do, I will not mention cheating in any of the information. Please let me know if there is another master server or a way to host my own master server.
Thank you.
(28 Jun 11, 08:12AM)Mai Mee Tur Wrote: Generally, hacking is disallowed.

Say someone came onto your server, expecting clean, fair play, only to find out it was full of cheaters.

They try to kick, but the cheaters shoot that down and kick the nice, clean player.

What's to happen then?

But in any case... some devs are usually on IRC.

I mentioned the hacking, so anyone connecting to my server would expect there to possibly be cheaters. If the majority of the people voted to kick/ban the cheaters, there wouldn't be a problem. If the cheaters needed to be kicked, I would kick them, and I wouldn't allow them to kick someone who doesn't cheat, unless they needed to be kicked.
Thank you, I completely forgot about IRC.
Thanks given by:
... I find that, many people don't read the MOTD too often once there are a few people in the server.

And you're welcome.
Thanks given by:
someone should update the wiki or docs or something to tell you what you actually can and cant do with your server if you want it on the master server.. just sayin :P
Thanks given by:
Or you can just read the forums, like it says in the docs :)
Thanks given by:
(28 Jun 11, 09:46AM)jAcKRoCk* Wrote: Or you can just read the forums, like it says in the docs :)

I couldn't find anything that says I couldn't do what I did. If there's something hidden in the forum that says I can't, it should be made easier to find. That's if this is really that important to them, which it seems to be seeing as I got banned for it. Just trying to say it would let people know what they're allowed to do, and help avoid anything like this in the future.
Thanks given by:
You should have enough logic and intelligence found in most human beings to realize that hackers are disliked by any game. For saying "Allowed: Hacking", you are basically telling the devs to go to hell by allowing players to hack in your server. That does not help anybody, hence the devs have removed your server from the masterserver.
Thanks given by:
Look this thread is very long and quite frankly boring!!

You were banned because of your MOTD, as a server operator myself I know its common sense that you dont put crap like that in your MOTD!

As far as i can remeber no one has ever told me I could not rob a bank, but somehow by some strange ESP I know it would result in punishment, for the same reason your server was banned and i reakon you got away lightly. I personally dislike cheats and hackers so much i would of kept your ban in place so maybe you should just say "thankyou Mr Jamz" and close this thread...
Thanks given by:
(28 Jun 11, 06:44PM)|BC|Wolf Wrote: You should have enough logic and intelligence found in most human beings to realize that hackers are disliked by any game. For saying "Allowed: Hacking", you are basically telling the devs to go to hell by allowing players to hack in your server. That does not help anybody, hence the devs have removed your server from the masterserver.

I'm sure I have more logic and intelligence than most human beings, and it doesn't matter if hackers are disliked by any games or not. Being the owner of the server, I am able to allow it, and it is nothing against the devs. They shouldn't even be affected by it, only the people who play on my server should care.
(28 Jun 11, 06:49PM)DES|Anderson Wrote: Look this thread is very long and quite frankly boring!!

You were banned because of your MOTD, as a server operator myself I know its common sense that you dont put crap like that in your MOTD!

As far as i can remeber no one has ever told me I could not rob a bank, but somehow by some strange ESP I know it would result in punishment, for the same reason your server was banned and i reakon you got away lightly. I personally dislike cheats and hackers so much i would of kept your ban in place so maybe you should just say "thankyou Mr Jamz" and close this thread...

You guys are misunderstanding. I did not hack. Robbing a bank would harm several people in that something is taken from them. I allowed others to do what they wanted. My server was harmless, unmodified, and shouldn't be treated this way.
Thanks given by:
You say that you are the owner of the server, so you should be able to do whatever you wish. Well, the devs are the owners of the game, so they should also be able to do whatever then want with it, right?
Thanks given by:
(28 Jun 11, 06:54PM)|BC|Wolf Wrote: You say that you are the owner of the server, so you should be able to do whatever you wish. Well, the devs are the owners of the game, so they should also be able to do whatever then want with it, right?

I've said it over and over again. I understand this. Which is why I asked for an alternative master server or a way to host my own. Maybe the devs could even implement some more anti-cheat.
Thanks given by:
(28 Jun 11, 06:51PM)Mashuu Wrote:
(28 Jun 11, 06:44PM)|BC|Wolf Wrote: You should have enough logic and intelligence found in most human beings to realize that hackers are disliked by any game. For saying "Allowed: Hacking", you are basically telling the devs to go to hell by allowing players to hack in your server. That does not help anybody, hence the devs have removed your server from the masterserver.

I'm sure I have more logic and intelligence than most human beings, and it doesn't matter if hackers are disliked by any games or not. Being the owner of the server, I am able to allow it, and it is nothing against the devs. They shouldn't even be affected by it, only the people who play on my server should care.

Hmm, Being the owner of this game, the devs should be allowed to do what they want, correct?

And if you have more logic than most human beings, then why does every other server owner refrain from putting "Allowed : Hacking" on their Server's MOTD?

Think About the consequences before you do something.
Thanks given by:
(28 Jun 11, 06:59PM)Duckett Wrote:
(28 Jun 11, 06:51PM)Mashuu Wrote:

Hmm, Being the owner of this game, the devs should be allowed to do what they want, correct?

And if you have more logic than most human beings, then why does every other server owner refrain from putting "Allowed : Hacking" on their Server's MOTD?

Think About the consequences before you do something.

This is turning into a pointless argument with people repeating what has already been said. Please read the full thread, and if you think it's too boring and long, you shouldn't be posting in it. This has been sorted out already. Move on.
Thanks given by: