Community Map Pack :/
when i try going to the link of the acmappack it keeps redirecting me is there anyone here who can help me get the maps ?
Thanks given by:
Don't bother. The maps are all (mostly?) from version 1.0 and may or may not work in the current/next release. Unfortunately, no-one has the time or inclination to maintain this behemoth right now.
If you're still interested, it's here
Thanks given by:
I've fixed the link; sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for bringing this to our attention!
Thanks given by:
* VenteX wants to maintain this but doesn't have the time or inclination.
Thanks given by:
* Viper looks into his hosting, he *may* be able to do it. Give him a week or two and he'll get back to you.

Thanks given by:
Guys, there's nothing to maintain here.
There is not just one MediaPack - there can be as many as 2-per-week!!
Just as long as there's a permanent download location we can put into the distribution-tool anyone can prepare a MediaPack. The idea is that a single package reflects some form of theme - it doesn't have to, but that's the general idea - like 3 maps in a city-theme, or 20 textures for a ghetto-style (lots of grafitti) .. or 2 models of bicycles .. anything goes. Just read up on, and ask for further details, what the MediaPack is about.
HTH
Thanks given by:
If someone wants to release a mappack that works with the current version only, I have made notes about which ones would need updating. Way back when I made my map rot... I also made notes about which ones could be played without the extra textures and such XD
Thanks given by:
The difficulty here is the willingness of people who know what they're doing to release another's work. But I guess that's besides the point.
Thanks given by:
I'll maintain it if ya'll want; sounds like a nice thing to do for the community. I would think the way to go is have 1 map pack, 1 small download media pack, and 1 big mediapack.
I really don't know.
Thanks given by:
The discussion as we wrote the code took a similar path, hamolton. We decided the proper thing to do, would be, that the infrastructure-tool would provide you with the option to download single packages, combos (prepared or on-the-fly) and always the grand-deluxe-ALLinONE-package.
But since there's has only ever been one big map-MediaPack ..
.. the tool and code currently haven't progressed anymore towards optimum user-friendliness since it's been a feature that was neglected by the community. Just look at the feebleness of the documentation.

This thread is the first that a large number of people have started discussing the feature. A hopeful sign for progress, I dare to hope.
The engine can already read ZIPs, so it's logical that - at some point - the triggering of a MediaPack-header-field in the map just loaded, could be, that the engine does a HTTP-get (like the old masterserver retrieval) and thus downloads the mediapack. Then an on-the-fly unpacking and putting into the game-home-dir; running the package-config .. e voila .. you have the required media for the map.
For now it's a tedious job of extracting URL(s) from your log and then getting each one, for an instant download of the package - the engine gives you HOST?PACKAGE-ID=%d-urls - where these have individual entries for hoster-information (read: the URL where the file actually lies .. each package can come from one totally individual URL).

Anyway - what this really calls for now - IMHO - is to make the wiki-documentation clear & concise about how one would go about all this stuff.
I'd like to take questions - what are you unclear about, or see that others might find cumbersome.
State them here, I'll try to explain - if it works for you (read: G4W! (good for wiki!)) - then the wiki-team will have reference material to improve, improve, improve the documentation.
Thanks given by:
I'm having trouble following you. Are you saying maps can be made so a media pack can be downloaded when a client wants to go to a server with custom content? Sounds like an Idea awesome enough to get to AC V. 2.0. I could imagine there being a universal consent of not having custom content over a meg[joke], therefore, all @camper maps would be 1.1 MB[/joke].
NO N00B goes looking for AC maps and mods online; I think them getting an in-game mod/media shop would be epic.
The second most common question at my AC parties was "where'd you get that awesome gun?".
The first? "How do you kick somebody?"
Thanks given by:
I don't think I can bump here, but plz. I want an answer.
tl;dr: Are you saying maps can be made so a media pack can be downloaded when a client wants to go to a server with custom content?
BUMP
Thanks given by:
mediapacks are already part of v1104.
mediapacks contain a number of files. these can be textures and/or models and/or maps and/or txt|cfg|..-files ... just one group or, if a map requires models - for example - then those too, but if these models already come in another mediapack then it won't be listed as a requirement.
you see, they build up on one another.
you have pak-#3207 and that's great .. then someone has done something that requires pak-#4410 and pak-#4412 .. you get the output, you download, you unpack, you restart the map .. (the latter bit was mainly out-of-the-game-doing-it-yourself) .. and then you can keep on playing.
If you then build a map with textures used that occur in pak-#4410 and pak-#3207 then those two will be in the header of your map .. if you see, we've currently omitted any textures from pak-#4412 .. the 3rd-party won't need it for that map.
Do you get it now?
  1. A graphics dude creates a set of city-textures for the community -
  2. boom, new ID 1101. 20(11) and it's the first - so %02d - 01 .. 1101.
  3. Another dude - a collection of 5 maps ..
    • .. 2 ctf and 2 dm and one concept from his clan ..
    • .. 2 textures and a model inclusive -
  4. boom, new ID 1102 .. released two days later.
  5. Then -
    • nothing can happen more than twice a week with mediapacks -
    • someone has a pak for 3 models -
    they fit the city-theme ..
  6. .. another guy has done a dozen or so textures also fitting the city-theme ..
  7. .. someone makes a thread if there couldn't be a city-themed-mediapack.
  8. Now the stones really got rollin' - eh?
Thanks given by:
So what would managing mediapacks require?
Thanks given by:
I re u 2 post #6.
Thanks given by: