[WIP] Desert Compound
http://img857.imageshack.us/img857/1103/...ertrui.jpg
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/166/2...ertrui.jpg
http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/3033/...ertrui.jpg

Hey guiz! I've got some bs excuse for leaving, but I'm back and working on a new map.

I hope this new map to be better than any I've made in the past.

Links above are some screenshots of it currently, and I'll post updates every now and then.

Just dropping in to say hi.
Thanks given by:
Change the wall texture to make it diverse. All the walls have the same golden bricks texture, so mix it up a little; it'll look better, and players won't get dizzy.

Also, the rooms look quite empty, add more mapmodels and/or obstacles to give the map a more pleasant feel.

Good luck, just some advice.
Thanks given by:
Thanks mate. I haven't added but the essentials so far. Just walls and geography. Gonna work on the nitty gritty later.
Thanks given by:
Desert maps don't have the best default texture selection, thats for sure. Map looks smooth from the screenshots though! :)
Thanks given by:
That's an unusual amount of water for a desertic map!
Thanks given by:
Add nice light , contraste with texture and if the gameplay is fine it will be a good map.
Thanks given by:
Looks really good :)
But it would also be cool, if you could use some more textures on the ground.
Oh, and one hint: Use the code blelow, and it'll look like there's a sandstorm :D

Type this in your console:
/fog 64
/fogcolour 0xFEDCA0

(Code is from V-Man)
Thanks given by:
Try to add heightfields that affect gameplay, here and there. Also try to make different rooms, different elevations, and what Wolf said, use mapmodels to spruce it up.
Thanks given by:
Yeppers, thanks for all the advice guys :)

Does up close fog glitch with the skymaps for anyone else? Also, what would everyone think of a nice night/sunset theme? Dim lighting and lotsa shadows. I was just playing mw2 and realized how much I love those dark little holes here and there that you don't want to walk by in case someone's in there XD
Thanks given by:
(17 Jun 11, 12:13AM)Mikey Wrote: Does up close fog glitch with the skymaps for anyone else?

Yes, it bugs the heck out of me. The only thing I know that can be done to stop/reduce the glitching effect is to increase the fog distance. If anyone knows a better way to prevent it, by all means please tell me! (and Mikey, of course.)

(17 Jun 11, 12:13AM)Mikey Wrote: Also, what would everyone think of a nice night/sunset theme?

That would be nice, just be careful with using colored lights. A common mistake is to make them over-exaggerated, causing textures to look very odd or washed out. A slight tint goes a long way!

(17 Jun 11, 12:13AM)Mikey Wrote: I love those dark little holes here and there that you don't want to walk by in case someone's in there XD

I'd avoid putting too many intentionally "ideal" camping spots, as those are generally frowned upon due to AC's fast style of gameplay. Although, making indoor areas a good amount darker than the indoor areas, a la ac_desert3, can add nice contrast to the map's overall appearance.

Good luck with your map!
Thanks given by:
(16 Jun 11, 03:23PM)Dementium4ever Wrote: Looks really good :)
Oh, and one hint: Use the code blelow, and it'll look like there's a sandstorm :D

/fog 64
/fogcolour 0xFEDCA0

(Code is from V-Man)

Or find your own...

Try something like this if you're not familiar with how hexadecimal works.
Thanks given by:
VenteX & Mikey & anyone else who cares: I don't think there's a way around it other than simply making fog distance higher.
It looks like it's simply the fog telling the engine not to render anything past whatever distance, and so it replaces the empty space with tracers.
Not really an issue though; very close, dense fog gives an extra advantage to close-quarters weapons and makes the map look slightly more unrealistic in some cases.
Thanks given by:
It was just a suggestion.....
You don't have to use it, if it looks that bad. Just leave it as it was :)
Thanks given by:
(17 Jun 11, 01:50AM)Viper Wrote:
(16 Jun 11, 03:23PM)Dementium4ever Wrote: Looks really good :)

/fog 64
/fogcolour 0xFEDCA0

(Code is from V-Man)

Or find your own...

Try something like this if you're not familiar with how hexadecimal works.

Thanks mate, but I'm more than familiar with hex values.

Okay. . .not too many hidey holes. I forgot how irritating campers are in tosok.

Uploading screenshots tomorrow of the halfway finished map.
Thanks given by:
Coolcool 8)
It looks quite decent from the current shots
Good luck :D
Thanks given by: