Mapping issues
why do maps like red_vs._blue_twintowers or twintowers_supercubes work even tho they are over the height limit? please respond cuz i wanna learn how to make my maps taller
Thanks given by:
Good question if this is true and people are able to get around said restrictions, but bad reason to ask this question :\
Thanks given by:
Modded servers, I'm guessing.
Thanks given by:
im going to modify ac_magic-school so it works on 1.1
Thanks given by:
@Ory, No. Clients also have a check built into them. Which I hate :(
* Ronald_Reagan possibly made off MS mod for kick

Regarding the question.

I believe I know how it is done, yet I dont believe in circumventing the restrictions. However I'll let some other mod close this if they feel strongly about it.
Thanks given by:
(29 May 11, 09:55AM)XFA Wrote: im going to modify ac_magic-school so it works on 1.1

teammate_haze ftw XD

How many years will i take to modify this map? :P

Thanks given by:
ive got it running to the map restrictions but the file is too large to send...
Thanks given by:
(29 May 11, 10:36AM)XFA Wrote: ive got it running to the map restrictions but the file is too large to send...

:O DO WANT

But you can't actually make it fit with map restrictions without removing half of the map
Btw my preferred part of the map is the spiral staircase
Thanks given by:
I do not advocate going over AC's restrictions on map making if the map made as a result will not fit into AC's style. When these restrictions do occur, the better way is always to remake the map itself so it won't violate the actual rules, not to just evade being detected.

As far as I know, a known method of eliminating the restrictions on height is making a lot of unaccessible places outside of the map's actual borders that would have a very low height.

I don't know if there are any methods of evading the map's requirement on the horizontal size of the elements.

The easiest way to make AC think the pickups or flags are not too close from each other is, obviously, to put them farther away from each other :)

----

Trying to host maps that do NOT meet the requirements on a modded server will only succeed if every client running the game will be modded, too -- IIRC, the checks are done on both sides.
Thanks given by:
Why is everyone so afraid to talk about "How To", but everyone sure has a voice when it comes to defending this mapping style????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I tell you what, I've spent too much time learning about how to evade mapping restrictions, I'm going to write a short tutorial, and post it here. I will show how to make your maps 253 cubes tall, walk through doors, one way shooting. Anything you can imagine, I will have.

Anyone have something to say about it can cry me twelve rivers.

EDIT: ITS NOT A MODIFIED SERVER.

HOW TO:

/showmapstats WILL BE YOUR NEW BEST FRIEND
MUST BE UNDER 10000 Max Area
MUST BE UNDER 30 Mean Height

Height

The trick to having maps 253 cubes tall.

After /newmap, select the entire floor, lower floor as far as you can without reseting. Reseting will happen when you reach a certain depth. Repeat with ceiling, stop right before it resets. Savemap and reload. Type /showmapstats, it should read:

Mean Height : 0.00
Max Area : X

How does it read 0?

We are tricking the engine into thinking there is nothing there. As far as the math is concerned, there is no height, but in reality, its 253 cubes tall.

Tactic 2

This tactic will allow any height within the walls of your map.

Create /newmap 9, allocate X number of cubes for YOUR map. Allow spacing of around 64 - 96 cubes along the perimeter of the map. This spacing will be used to create low ceiling hallways.

In the middle, where your MAP is going to be, repeat above until its 253 cubes tall. Now with the remaining space around the perimeter of the ACTUAL map size, you are going to build hallways. Start by soliding ONE cube along the perimeter of YOUR MAP in the middle. After you are done with this, in the middle, it should look like a regular /newmap 7 or 8. On the outside of YOURMAP, lower the ceiling to a height of 14 cubes. Do this all around YOURMAP. Make rows 8 cubes wide, by soliding every other 8 cubes in a row. [Note: As long as you use /newmap 9 or less, having long rows 8 cubes wide, DOES NOT affect the Max Area!!!]

When you are done "Farming", you should have YOURMAP in the middle 253 cubes tall, and Hidden Hallways 8 cubes wide and 14 cubes tall surrounding your map.

By doing this you will average out your height, and done correctly, your mean height will go from 175+, down to below 20 NO PROBLEM.

Both ways work. The second is the better way. It allows for any height geometry within YOURMAP.
One Way Shooting

This is cake, I know this better then I do the game. -_-

In the command line, type /newent mapmodel 57 5 1

This will place a platform [57], 5 cubes high [5], with the gray blueish brick texture [1].
Understand this before going any further.

Mapmodels you will use for OWS:

/newent mapmodel 30 [Locker]
/newent mapmodel 57 [Plaform]
/newent mapmodel 60 [Ac Unit Outer]

There are many more, but lets start off slow.

You will place mapmodel 30 and 60 to create fake walls.[Place on the same cube!!!!!!!!]

Do so by either:

/newent mapmodel 30 0 1
/newent mapmodel 30 6 1
/newent mapmodel 30 12 1

or

/newent mapmodel 60 0 1
/newent mapmodel 60 2 1
/newent mapmodle 60 4 1
/newent mapmodel 60 6 1

To create fake floor:

/newent mapmodel 57 5 1
Thanks given by:
Pickups

You must have a lot of geometry to play with if you want your pickups one cube apart. Depending on how many pickups you want will determine how high the geometry needs to be.

Type /newmap 6

Begin in the middle with:

/newent grenades [This will place one grenade]
moving one cube over on the same ROW !!!!!!
/newent grenades 30 [lower cube until the grenade is the same elevation as the first]
move one cube over ^^
/newent grenades 60 [^^]
move one cube over ^^
/newent grenades 90 [^^]

You get the hint. You can do this up to /newent grenades 240, if the map will allow.

/newent health
/newent armour
/newent ammobox
/newent akimbo
/newent pistol
/newent grenades
/newent helmet

Do increments of 30, and you will have no problem.

***************************************************************************************
Any other questions, I will gladly answer. I tried putting my knowledge to good work, but the trolls thought otherwise.
***************************************************************************************
Heightfield Doors

There is a little red box indicator on the white selection box. You must use the little red box for the following.

Raise a section of cubes 6 high, 1 wide. While selected press H ["H=heightfield floor"/ "I=heightfield ceiling"/ in next version it is different], this will turn the selected cubes grid green and make the cubes floor height field.

Now with the little red box, select the face of the wall so that you are going corner to corner with the little red box. Press and hold Q, scroll downward a lot. By doing so, you are glitching the cubes and allowing players to pass through. You can play with how far you go down or up, to make player jump or crouch-jump or crouch to get through said glitched cubes.

When done correctly, players will see a wall they can pass through.

Thanks given by:
Thanks for telling us what we have to fix :D
No, seriously, I'm not interested in fixing those. The pro-restrictions developers can do that themselves, but you certainly helped them a fair bit.
Thanks given by:
*bookmarks page*
Thanks given by:
(29 May 11, 06:22PM)Cemer Wrote: *bookmarks page*

Thanks given by:
Regardless, I hope your newfound knowledge of how to beat the system doesn't corrupt you.
Thanks given by:
newfound, no. I have studied this since @camper DAY 1.

I offered ways to improve, I offered ways to avoid. Now I offer my knowledge.

Thanks given by:
Not you vern, the guy who asked the question.
Thanks given by:
(29 May 11, 04:16PM)vern Wrote: I tell you what, I've spent too much time learning about how to evade mapping restrictions, I'm going to write a short tutorial, and post it here. I will show how to make your maps 253 cubes tall, walk through doors, one way shooting. Anything you can imagine, I will have.

James Gordon Jr.: Why's he running, Dad?
Lt. James Gordon: Because we have to chase him.
James Gordon Jr.: He didn't do anything wrong.
Lt. James Gordon: Because he's the hero AssaultCube deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt him because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A Vern.
Thanks given by:
Vern, I see trouble down at the "24/7 DOUZE" server! Please save those noobs!
*Viper shines the Vern signal, a giant troll face light.
Thanks given by:
(29 May 11, 04:16PM)vern Wrote: MUST BE UNDER 30 Mean Height

Height, can be forty cubes, but you can go down as much as you'd like.
Thanks given by:
(29 May 11, 10:55AM)Luc@s Wrote: :O DO WANT

But you can't actually make it fit with map restrictions without removing half of the map
Btw my preferred part of the map is the spiral staircase

If i see you on irc ill give it to you
the only restriction it dosn't meet is file size but everything else is fine :D
Thanks given by:
(30 May 11, 05:18AM)Duckett Wrote:
(29 May 11, 04:16PM)vern Wrote: MUST BE UNDER 30 Mean Height

Height, can be forty cubes, but you can go down as much as you'd like.

INCORRECT

MUST BE UNDER 30 Mean Height!!!

Thanks given by:
@ vern. thanks man i really appreciate it!
Thanks given by:
And... Another troublemaker successfully created. :-/
Thanks given by:
(31 May 11, 05:49AM)VenteX Wrote: And... Another troublemaker successfully created. :-/

And... another glitch about to be fixed. :D
Thanks given by: